Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #31
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,931
I had a GS1200 and thought it was a pain to get on the center stand. Until I got a KTM 990ADV, much much harder to get it up.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #32
maxboxa OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
well, it seems that technique is worth it's weight in gold. all the tips worked! I can now get it up without killing myself. the knee bend and weight thrust was the ticket. thanks everyone!
maxboxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #33
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboxa View Post
i just bought an 1150gsa and am getting to know it. now, i'm a good size fella and can bench over 300 on a good day. why is it that i just can't seem to get this heifer up on the center stand? is it all technique?
try this;
kick it over a few times a week and pick it up. After a few weeks, getting it up onto the center stand should be a snap!

and yes - the advice works. Put all your weight on the stand and push down as you pull up. After some practice the bike practically falls up. This bike is actually REALLY easy - try a CBX or CB1100F sometime
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #34
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboxa View Post
well, it seems that technique is worth it's weight in gold. all the tips worked! I can now get it up without killing myself. the knee bend and weight thrust was the ticket. thanks everyone!
Glad it worked out for you. I was going to offer to let you pop my Scrambler up on the (optional Triumph) center stand. It'll make your GS seem pretty pleasant.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
Ducmonza
boob

Oddometer: 63
Pissed

My 1100GS is a piece of cake to get on the center stand compared to my old K1200RS. Now that bike was almost a two person operation to get on the center stand. Luckily they fixed the issue on later models.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #36
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Tucker's comment is what my tech told me.. grab hold (steering (L) and pillon handle (R). put your foot on center stand until it hits the ground. Then while holding it to the ground, with very little force, just to make contact.. I lean the bike slowly (hold onto it while you do this... ) away from me, til I feel the far leg of center stand come in contact w ground.. then I mostly stand and partially lift. works well for me (r1200GSA)

via Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #37
Tomcat503
Usually Just Lurking

Oddometer: 65
It really is technique as described previously. IIRC, for the 2007 model year and on 12GS, BMW moved the center stand pivot point to make it easier.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
Manuelsv
Traveling South

Oddometer: 88
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducmonza View Post
My 1100GS is a piece of cake to get on the center stand compared to my old K1200RS. Now that bike was almost a two person operation to get on the center stand. Luckily they fixed the issue on later models.

Whaaaaaat???? I just bought my 04' R1150GSA.. I've had an 01 K12RS for the past 4 years and never had an issue putting it on the center stand!
As you can immagine I'm reading this because I almost got myself a hernea trying to stand the GSA!! I'll have to try all the advice here..
But the K12RS is like a kid's bike compared to the GSA monster!
Manuelsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #39
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I posted this question here a few weeks ago, and it was this tidbit:

Quote:
Then you tilt the bike square so both sides of the center stand touch the ground.
...that finally "broke the code" for me. It also helped to re-install the luggage rack in the back, that handhold works better for me than the pillion footrest/lower framing (I'm 6'5", 230 lbs, and I also lift 300 lbs every night, just 12 oz. at a time...).
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
Getting a bike, any bike, on to the center stand is all about technique, not strength.

The only thing about the R1200GS that's a pain is that it's so tall which makes it marginally more awkward to balance perfectly upright to the point where both sides of the center stand are firmly on the ground.

I always laugh at people who cite their bench-press stats because unless you're trapped under the bike having dropped it on yourself it's not really relevant in any way.

A K1200RS was really simple to put on the center stand... you didn't even need to square the stand first or balance the bike at all. Basically just step on the center stand and give it a little backwards push and it would jump up onto it on autopilot (although using that method would frighten the children and the elderly).
Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #41
Ozav8r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Some very good advice been handed out here. The one thing that has only been touched on by one poster, but that I have found to be a key issue is to ensure that the bike is in NEUTRAL , OR PULL THE CLUTCH IN WHILE YOU ARE ROTATING THE BIKE BACKWARDS up onto the center stand. Particularly if you have some luggage on the tail rack, the weight will be firmly on the back wheel and if you are trying to do the Maneouvering while in gear, you will have to overcome the compression of the engine as well as lifting the weight. Ensuring that BOTH legs of the centrestand is in firm and even contact with the ground is also a key element in avoiding back injury. More pushing down with your weight than pulling up with you muscles is the key.
Ozav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #42
motoree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
If You have a top case or metal side cases it would be naturally more difficult but the real treat is when rear suspenssion was lowered but stock center stand left untouched then forget about it.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #43
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,473
You gotta be smart. I lowered my R1150GS two inches so cut two inches out of the center stand. Easiest bike I've ever owned to get on the center stand.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #44
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 322
one thing not discussed is how to get the R1150 GS off the center stand.

This is really easy especially if you have bags on board.

So there are two ways to do this,
with the bike on the center stand, and you standing beside the bike,
put both hands on the grips,
put down the side stand.

Then gently push the bike forward, use the front brake to assist in the bike not moving more than what you need .
Then lean it onto the side stand.
Kick a leg over , stand the bike up ,then ride off.

For the more balanced approach,
get geared up,
put your left foot on the left peg,
and stand on the peg rising your body straight up over the bike,
its OK it wont fall,
gently kick your leg over the seat and sit on the bike, in one smooth motion.

Start the bike and run it for about 30 seconds ,
engage first gear, sit back and gently let out the clutch and start to ride off the stand,
the bike will move forward and then drop as the stand comes up and your riding away in one fluid motion.

NOTE for the R1100 bikes adding more weight to the bike while on the centerstand seems to make cracking the engine case at the centerstand pivot a possibility,
thus using the ride off the center stand idea should not be used.
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #45
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
Getting a bike, any bike, on to the center stand is all about technique, not strength.

The only thing about the R1200GS that's a pain is that it's so tall which makes it marginally more awkward to balance perfectly upright to the point where both sides of the center stand are firmly on the ground.

I always laugh at people who cite their bench-press stats because unless you're trapped under the bike having dropped it on yourself it's not really relevant in any way.
It's all technique. Not that I am such a wimp, but at 144lbs I do miss some mass. Although I can easily put my lowered 1200GS on it's centerstand. Level it, right foot on the centerstand and right hand on the rear frame, lift it a little bit while pushing it backwards and it pops right up.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote