Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #46
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat503 View Post
IIRC, for the 2007 model year and on 12GS, BMW moved the center stand pivot point to make it easier.
My '08 R1200GSA is for certain way easier to get up on the center stand than was my '05 R1200GS.
200GRLSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #47
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
So there are two ways to do this,
with the bike on the center stand, and you standing beside the bike,
put both hands on the grips,
put down the side stand.

Then gently push the bike forward, use the front brake to assist in the bike not moving more than what you need .
Then lean it onto the side stand.
Kick a leg over , stand the bike up ,then ride off.
Sorry but putting down the side stand before dropping it down off the center stand in a horrible idea. You can easily drop the full weight right on to your foot and crush the shit out of it that way. Many people have ended up in the hospital from that.

If you want to safely push the bike off the center stand whilst not on the bike just point the handlebars slightly towards the left while pushing forward and let it rest against your thigh while you adjust your stance and then drop the stand down.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #48
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
When you stand on the center stand, don't put your weight on the ball of your foot, go to the instep or heel. I used the ball of my foot once and pulled my calf muscle.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
Sorry but putting down the side stand before dropping it down off the center stand in a horrible idea. You can easily drop the full weight right on to your foot and crush the shit out of it that way. Many people have ended up in the hospital from that.

If you want to safely push the bike off the center stand whilst not on the bike just point the handlebars slightly towards the left while pushing forward and let it rest against your thigh while you adjust your stance and then drop the stand down.
+1

And if you miss your foot you risk bouncing off the stand and pushing the bike to the right. Leave the side stand up until you're off the center stand.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #50
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
After seeing other 1150GSA's and reading these stories, I think my GSA was lowered by the previous owner. Mine is a bear to get on the center stand. Once on the stand, the rear wheel sits on the ground and the front wheel is a few inches off the ground. I see all these other GSA's with both wheels almost touching at the same time when on the center stand. I guess it being lowered is good for the drive shaft, but sure gives me a headache when putting her up on the center stand.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 319

This is good advice as well some operators like the stand down some dont so choose your own method
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #52
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
lowered bike; short rider; needed help

I made the following 'tool' so I can get the bike up on the center stand, particularly when I am packed for a trip:

Made out of an 8 inch piece of 2x4. Used part of what I cut off on the right to make a 'stop' on the left so the rear wheel does not roll off the back. I carry it in my top box. It's a 45 degree cut on the right; I'm probably going to slope it a little more.

-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #53
Beard
Pro Blowhard

Oddometer: 39
5'10" 195lbs
sitting on bike
bike in neutral can help.
kick stand down, get off bike
left hand on left grip
right hand on "U" frame bar just above reat suspension adjuster.
push center stand down to contact ground
with right footpush bike away from u with right knee and right forearm putting pressure on bike ( to get both center stand feet touching and center bike.)
move body towards left hand. then in one motion.. body is moving to the rear of the bike, you are standing on the center stand foot rest, and pulling up with ur right hand, left hand is keeping bars straight but moving towards the rear.

if the above doesnt work then sell the gs.

granted i can center stand a kz650 and cl450 with my pinkie, but it takes 4 tries to center stand a cl350. :)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #54
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 864
Getting it off the center stand?

Simple, just sit on bike, flat foot and rock forward.

Oh, it helps to be 6'2" and have A 35" inseam too.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #55
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Getting it off the center stand?

Simple, just sit on bike, flat foot and rock forward.

Oh, it helps to be 6'2" and have A 35" inseam too.
I think I was built upside down.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #56
Penfold99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hi guys, new to the forum, and just got a nice blue/silver '05 R1200GS a week ago. It is my 6th bike, and my 4th Beemer. This bike is killing me trying to get it on the center stand though. I am about 160#'s and 30" inseam. I am wondering if this one has been lowered, or maybe has lower profile tires? I can get it eventually, but it wears me out. Normal? or is it possible something's been modified? I read the thread carefully, and took note of the procedure description, however it isn't really anything different than I was doing before. I like the idea of the wood block to drive up on, however, I don't like the idea of having to do that...I know that if I was heavier it would be easier, but I don't want to resort to that...just yet.

Dave
Penfold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #57
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
Height, weight, bench-press stats, etc have absolutely nothing to do with getting a bike onto the center stand. It's all about technique. You need to glide the bike backwards whilst gently (not He-man!) lifting the rear. All the power is in your right leg. Center the stand with both sides down securely and then push down with your foot on it with all of your weight. The bike will want to climb up onto it naturally at this point. You just use your right hand on the frame to help it along at this point.

Now for bikes that have been modified, generally you just have to "throw" them backwards with a bit more ferocity as you stomp the center stand into the ground. Remember you are not lifting the bike, you are trying to push it backwards and let momentum do the work for you. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #58
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,872
Make sure you are on a level, hard surface for practice.

1- With the bike on the side stand, right the bike while pressing your rt foot on the center stand lever.
2- Go slow and take your time. While holding the bike upright and pressing on the center stand lever, feel for both CS feet to touch the floor.
3- Slightly relax foot pressure to fully load the bike weight on the suspension. Now with your RH, grab the frame in a position that will allow you to exert upward force with a good grip.
4- Next, simultaneously press quickly and firmly on the CS lever while providing a good and quick heft with your right hand.

This combination will start the bike off the suspension and if done with a quick jerk and press, will lever the bike securely onto the center stand. After a few tries, you'll find your timing and pressure requirements that will provide a smooth transition onto the CS. It does take some practice for a first timer.

If needed, have a helper at the ready (ready at the RH bar) so you don't drop the bike to the right side.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #59
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
Height, weight, bench-press stats, etc have absolutely nothing to do with getting a bike onto the center stand. It's all about technique.
This. I just roll the bike backwards ever so slightly and keep it moving up onto the center stand pushing down on the stand lever and lifting on the passenger grab rail. This works just fine on both my 1150GS and 12GSADV.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #60
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboxa View Post
i just bought an 1150gsa and am getting to know it. now, i'm a good size fella and can bench over 300 on a good day. why is it that i just can't seem to get this heifer up on the center stand? is it all technique?
yer doing it wrong. lift less, stand more.
and, on my Goldwing, I start it up, put it in gear, lean back then lean forward and ride away. it's fun.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694

100mpg screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 07:46 AM
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote