Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,375
5' 7", 155 lbs, 30" inseam

I do no physical "lifting".
Right the bike
Raise side stand
Deploy center stand and confirm both legs are equally on the ground
Left hand on left grip, right hand on rear frame or bag mount
With right foot, stand completely on the center stand foot (my left foot is off the ground)
The bike gently rolls back and up onto the stand
This is a very gentle and easy motion with little or no effort.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #62
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 142
The OP was eating too many candy canes and lost his mojo. Just as said before, it will almost put itself on the center stand...once you get the technique down.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #63
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Mine definitely will not just put herself up on the stand. I am not the first owner so am looking into whether or not the previous owner put a rear GS Ohlin on her and kept the GSA center stand. My girl takes a fair amount of lifting to get her big butt moving onto the center stand. The front wheel is almost 2" off the deck when on the center stand.

Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #64
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Ravenslair, your pic got me curious, and I measured mine; my rear tire is a bit over two inches off the ground. I don't think the suspension has been modded on mine, but I don't know for sure (the ESA setting may have an effect, too).
I got to looking at it as a Mechanical Engineer. When you're pushing down on the stand, the feet of the centerstand are the pivot point, and for maximum torque the force on the footpad needs to be perpendicular to the axis between the footpad and the pivot point (this would be a lot easier to draw than to explain...). Anyway, to do that, instead of stepping straight down I thought it might work better if you could push backwards a bit with your foot too, not just straight down.
Bingo! Try it!
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #65
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
Ravenslair, your pic got me curious, and I measured mine; my rear tire is a bit over two inches off the ground. I don't think the suspension has been modded on mine, but I don't know for sure (the ESA setting may have an effect, too).
I got to looking at it as a Mechanical Engineer. When you're pushing down on the stand, the feet of the centerstand are the pivot point, and for maximum torque the force on the footpad needs to be perpendicular to the axis between the footpad and the pivot point (this would be a lot easier to draw than to explain...). Anyway, to do that, instead of stepping straight down I thought it might work better if you could push backwards a bit with your foot too, not just straight down.
Bingo! Try it!
I completely understand what you mean. I guess those years of college physics paid off! I should have thought of that myself. I am stepping straight down and wasting a lot of energy. I will try it after I replace the pivot bushings today. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,375
The deploy leg is angled to direct the force in this fashion. On my non-modified 2010, standing near vertical on the deploy leg eases the bike onto the stand. Sincerely, a Physicist.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #67
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulled and str4aightened the center stand

I pulled my center stand this afternoon and straightened it. I used mapp gas to heat the center stand, but not enough to get it red hot. Just enough to soften the metal. I straightened the bend (as seen in the previous pictures) as well as a slight twist that was present. Now the stand is nice and straight and I no longer need to lean the bike over to the right to get both feet on the ground (that alone is nice as I always felt uncomfortable having the bike lean so far away from me when lifting it).

This did nothing to make the bike any easier to put on the center stand. I attached a new picture (old picture) to show the angle of the stand when it touches the ground prior to lifting the bike. Is this the angle most of you have? If so, I am a wimp or using terrible technique. If not, then I at least have confirmation my suspension is on the lower side. BTW, I have an '04 R1150GS Adventure

Ravenslair screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 11:36 PM
Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #68
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
ok, that seems way too steep of an angle. Maybe you are not a wimp. maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #69
Thunderbird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
When I got my first bike - an old CB550 that was a whole lot lighter than a GS - I couldn't get it onto the center stand at all. I'm about 200lbs and relatively strong. In those days I was at the gym five days a week. I was wrestling with the bike on the sidewalk in front of my building when my neighbor came out, a petite woman who rode a CB1 and stood about a foot shorter then me. She popped my bike up on its stand like it was nothing. When she showed me how to do it, it was easy. The GS is too heavy to muscle around. It's all technique.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #70
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
ok, that seems way too steep of an angle. Maybe you are not a wimp. maybe.
That is what I have been thinking. No wimp here, but always good to have someone else say it!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #71
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 250
My 1150 is gone so no way to compare but from your picture it seems that the stand hits the ground too soon. Having said that, when I first got he 1150 I was convinced there was something wrong with the stand. I'm 220lbs of pure muscle (or maybe not, rsrsrs) and still next to impossible to make the bike climb the stand.

What worked for me:

Bike on NEUTRAL or clutch in.
Left hand on left handlebar, right hand on frame under the back seat.
Left foot still on the ground, push lever with right foot and stabilize the bike on centerstand, keep the pressure, knee bent.
In one motion, climb the lever, use your full weight straight down the lever while pulling the bike back with both hands. You dont have to actually raise the bike wih your arms, just assist her to slide back on top of centrrstand.
It is easy to over do it, so as soon as you succeed you can calibrate the amount of pressure on the stand and the pulling, to obtain a smooth movement.

1200 owners are spoiled, it is so much easier on later bikes. Try a fully loaded 1150 before offering advice lol
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #72
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
That stand is the same angle as mine when it touches down. I just went and took a photo of it but won't be able to post a pic till I get home tonight. I grab the passenger footage frame loop and pull back while putting all my weight in one motion on the stand leg. It pops up well enough but I wouldn't call it easy, but it is all technique.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #73
mirtna
Magrambalgue

Oddometer: 57
use your heel; push stand into ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
I pulled my center stand this afternoon and straightened it. I used mapp gas to heat the center stand, but not enough to get it red hot. Just enough to soften the metal. I straightened the bend (as seen in the previous pictures) as well as a slight twist that was present. Now the stand is nice and straight and I no longer need to lean the bike over to the right to get both feet on the ground (that alone is nice as I always felt uncomfortable having the bike lean so far away from me when lifting it).

This did nothing to make the bike any easier to put on the center stand. I attached a new picture (old picture) to show the angle of the stand when it touches the ground prior to lifting the bike. Is this the angle most of you have? If so, I am a wimp or using terrible technique. If not, then I at least have confirmation my suspension is on the lower side. BTW, I have an '04 R1150GS Adventure

From the picture it looks as though you are stepping with your front part of foot (or, maybe that is just the picture to show the angle of contact of stand - if so, disregard my following bs. You are probably already using your heel.) Try a more sideways stance and use the heel of your foot. Practice standing on the stand without lifting just to feel and get accustomed to the balance and stability of the bike when your full weight is on the stand and the feet of the stand are on level ground (note: you should not need to have your left foot on the ground - just your entire weight on your right foot (heel or at least rear outside portion of right foot) while entire weight is on the stand and apply opposing force between foot and arm contacts. In fact, do a little "air jig" with your left foot as an exercise to gain comfort in the "weight loaded" and balanced position. When you feel comfortable with the stability then think about left arm (to handlebar) and right arm (to frame or the adventure rack handle) being in more straight position than in a bent or "ready to lift" position. Arms should be straight or definitely straighter then bent!. You shouldn't feel like you are going to lift the bike with arms or your back! The right knee should do the work! In fact, don't think of the right knee as lifting. Think of the right knee pushing the stand into the ground. Push the MFer into the ground while you brace with straight arms against the force of your knee extension.
Well, ..... hope that explanation isn't too full of S. But, that is how I think of it. ....... seems to work for me!

mirtna screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 11:54 PM Reason: more info
mirtna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #74
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Here is a video not the best.
I just push down with the big ball of my foot and all of my weight on it, while I rock the bike backwards.
Also I'm only 5'10" and 180 lbs.
http://youtu.be/exWB-lFZrfE

Ua the Destroyer screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 01:37 PM
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #75
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
Here is a video not the best.
I just push down with the big ball of my foot and all of my weight on it, while I rock the bike backwards.
Also I'm only 5'10" and 180 lbs.
http://youtu.be/exWB-lFZrfE
I have you by 20 lbs and 2" and make it look like I am wrestle a small whale (not that I am calling my GS a whale, but she is big and heavy). I will practice my technique.