Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #76
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
I have you by 20 lbs and 2" and make it look like I am wrestle a small whale (not that I am calling my GS a whale, but she is big and heavy). I will practice my technique.
Ha! I feel like I'm wrestling a whale also when I have to pick it up off its side.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #77
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
I pulled my center stand this afternoon and straightened it. I used mapp gas to heat the center stand, but not enough to get it red hot. Just enough to soften the metal. I straightened the bend (as seen in the previous pictures) as well as a slight twist that was present. Now the stand is nice and straight and I no longer need to lean the bike over to the right to get both feet on the ground (that alone is nice as I always felt uncomfortable having the bike lean so far away from me when lifting it).

This did nothing to make the bike any easier to put on the center stand. I attached a new picture (old picture) to show the angle of the stand when it touches the ground prior to lifting the bike. Is this the angle most of you have? If so, I am a wimp or using terrible technique. If not, then I at least have confirmation my suspension is on the lower side. BTW, I have an '04 R1150GS Adventure

You'll NEVER get it with your tippy toe on the foot like that. You can't get enough of your weight on it. Use the full ball of your foot and face your foot forwards a good bit more. Your all body should be facing forwards to the handlebars not the seat. Your crotch ought to be more forward to the handlebars. You could practice with a helper on the other side. maybe you could get your instep on the lever instead of the ball of your foot. Thing is you need to be able to kinda 'stand up' on the foot, sometimes my left leg also leaves the ground. I'm 5.5 and 145 @63 years young.
You are not pulling it up with your arms, you are just keeping the bike steady with them. The raising is in the step down on the foot. Try getting in the correct position (facing towards handlebars, right outside thigh against bike almost, then bending your knee and standing up straight with your weight on the foot. Have a helper holding the bars and frame on the other side, don't PULL the bike to the left side, if anything as you stand give a little pull to the rear, and YES neutral gear or clutch in. I always pull the clutch in.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help

TUCKERS screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 09:44 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #78
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
You'll NEVER get it with your tippy toe on the foot like that. You can't get enough of your weight on it. Use the full ball of your foot and face your foot forwards a good bit more. Your all body should be facing forwards to the handlebars not the seat. Your crotch ought to be more forward to the handlebars. You could practice with a helper on the other side. maybe you could get your instep on the lever instead of the ball of your foot. Thing is you need to be able to kinda 'stand up' on the foot, sometimes my left leg also leaves the ground. I'm 5.5 and 145 @63 years young.
You are not pulling it up with your arms, you are just keeping the bike steady with them. The raising is in the step down on the foot. Try getting in the correct position (facing towards handlebars, right outside thigh against bike almost, then bending your knee and standing up straight with your weight on the foot. Have a helper holding the bars and frame on the other side, don't PULL the bike to the left side, if anything as you stand give a little pull to the rear, and YES neutral gear or clutch in. I always pull the clutch in.
My foot position is only to show the angle the center stand hits the ground. No way I would try to stand her up like that. Even at 200lbs that would not work. I am usually facing the bike with the ball of my foot firmly planted. I am lifting as I stand. Based on what I am hearing, my technique needs a lot of work and the center stand may hit just a little too soon.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #79
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
dam, I wish you were nearby, I have to see if it is too low. It looks much lower thne the video of the guy putting it on the center stand. it looks like the wheel would be 4" off the ground.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #80
coach03860
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Hey Ravenslair looking at that picture in your post #67...My R1200GS has a set of Wilbers that lowered my bike ~25mm (~1") and that photo looks about like the "touch down" angle I have. No changes were made to the center stand or to the side stand although it is a bit more of a "grunt" to get her up onto the center stand than my non lowered 2005 GS was and she does stand a bit more upright on the side stand. These GS's lean over so much on their side stands normally, I take that last part as a bonus.

I must take off all 3 bags first and have her in neutral as my 165lbs can never do it with 3 loaded Vario bags hanging off the back. But then it pops up there fine without the bags using the correct techniques described above just with a bit more lifting with my right arm than I was used to on the '05. One thing I don't think was mentioned is make sure you have really stiff soled boots on. You're not going to be able to apply enough downward pressure with your foot (without causing some serious pain) in a pair of soft rubber soled flip-flop sandals. Once up there mine is pretty high up in the air with the shorter Wilbers so she does come down with a big forward "whoosh" when getting her off the center stand...which at first was a bit alarming But now I'm used to it and even on my lowered GS with no changes to either stand...it's pretty easy going up and down using the right technique although it is a pain to have o remove the bags each time as I never had to do that with my non-lowered '05 GS. Oh well C'est la vie - que est-ce que ce est .
Cheers coach
And well over a dozen other bikes bought and sold that I loose track of...but my wife constantly reminds me of

coach03860 screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 06:52 AM
coach03860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #81
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
dam, I wish you were nearby, I have to see if it is too low. It looks much lower thne the video of the guy putting it on the center stand. it looks like the wheel would be 4" off the ground.
I noticed that in Ua the Destroyer's video. His bike bounces just enough when it pops up on the center stand that it appears the front and rear tires are both very close to the ground when on the center stand. That means his center stand would have a better angle than mine and should make it easier (which he makes it look!). I have looked at a few 1150 GSA's that have been parked at the local deal and all of them sit higher than mine.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #82
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

That's the video angle. I have around 2" between the wheel and the ground when it's on the stand. My center stand has a similar looking angle when it's touched down like your photo.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #83
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach03860 View Post
Hey Ravenslair looking at that picture in your post #67...My R1200GS has a set of Wilbers that lowered my bike ~25mm (~1") and that photo looks about like the "touch down" angle I have. No changes were made to the center stand or to the side stand although it is a bit more of a "grunt" to get her up onto the center stand than my non lowered 2005 GS was and she does stand a bit more upright on the side stand. These GS's lean over so much on their side stands normally, I take that last part as a bonus.

I must take off all 3 bags first and have her in neutral as my 165lbs can never do it with 3 loaded Vario bags hanging off the back. But then it pops up there fine without the bags using the correct techniques described above just with a bit more lifting with my right arm than I was used to on the '05. One thing I don't think was mentioned is make sure you have really stiff soled boots on. You're not going to be able to apply enough downward pressure with your foot (without causing some serious pain) in a pair of soft rubber soled flip-flop sandals. Once up there mine is pretty high up in the air with the shorter Wilbers so she does come down with a big forward "whoosh" when getting her off the center stand...which at first was a bit alarming But now I'm used to it and even on my lowered GS with no changes to either stand...it's pretty easy going up and down using the right technique although it is a pain to have o remove the bags each time as I never had to do that with my non-lowered '05 GS. Oh well C'est la vie - que est-ce que ce est .
Cheers coach
Because of what appears to be lower suspension, I do not have the dreaded over lean that many 1150 GSA's have. There is no concern she will try to take a dirt nap on her own. The other apparent bonus is less stress on the u-joints since the rear swing arm does not drop as harshly as a normal GSA.

Mine does the same when I bring her off the center stand. There is nothing subtle about it. Since the rear wheel is a few inches off the ground, she comes down pretty heavily. I definitely need to be ready to steady her when she drops.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #84
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
That's the video angle. I have around 2" between the wheel and the ground when it's on the stand. My center stand has a similar looking angle when it's touched down like your photo.
Dang, I thought I was on to something. Will have to practice my technique then.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #85
coach03860
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
FWIW - I just measured it for you. With my 30mm lowered Wilbers suspension and my '12 GS on it's center stand...the distance from the ground to the bottom of my rear tire is 6.5 cm or 2.6 inches. Cheers coach
And well over a dozen other bikes bought and sold that I loose track of...but my wife constantly reminds me of
coach03860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #86
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach03860 View Post
FWIW - I just measured it for you. With my 30mm lowered Wilbers suspension and my '12 GS on it's center stand...the distance from the ground to the bottom of my rear tire is 6.5 cm or 2.6 inches. Cheers coach
Thanks for measuring. My front wheel is 1.75 inches off the ground when on the center stand. Next step is to pull the rear Ohlin and verify it is a GSA model and reset it back to factory recommended settings and adjust from there.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #87
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

I measured mine today and my memory was wrong. It's more like 1.25 inches of spacing between the tire and ground. That's definitely going to make it easier to pop it up like I do. Maybe yours has been lowered. Mine leans way over on the side stand, buts it is a gs, not GSA. I also have standard length ohlins. I will measure their length while on the stand so you can compare.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #88
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

I believe I have found my issue. I was able to sneak a peak down onto the top of the shock housing. It is stamped BM 940 (and something that appears to be a 3). This "3" may also be a scratch or mar of some sort. The BM 940 is a rear shock for a 2000-2003 GS. I should have a BM 215, 216 or 515. I believe based on what I have read, this could account for an inch or more of decreased suspension height, and lead to the extra effort to get the bike up on the center stand.

My choices at this point are fairly clear:
  1. Keep it as is (the height is fine, but I do loose some travel and have to put more effort when putting on the center stand). The lower height should lead to less stress on the u-joints which is a plus.
  2. Sell the rear shock and buy a nice used 215 or 515.