Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #76
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
I don't know much about the subject, but saw this thread and decided to mention the subject on a UK VStrom site. The topic was met with much the same derision.

DWC
Let me see. YOU don't know anything about the subject and decided to consult your peers, a group of riders who are prohibited by UK law to try themselves how car tires work as rear MC tires.

Faced with expert witnesses like that, the case is clear. Car tires can't be used as MC rear tires. Next case.
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #77
dwc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I think that you have taken my remarks somewhat at face value.

You imply that just because I have posted the topic on another forum that I am going to jump feet first into using a type of tyre which may or may not be suitable for motorcylce use or indeed legal in the UK. Without further research and information I would not be able to make a considered choice.

I must thank you though for your obvious concern.

DWC
dwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #78
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm Dandy View Post
car tire size for Vstrom ???

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #79
dwc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I think that you have taken my remarks somewhat at face value.

You imply that just because I have posted the topic on another forum that I am going to jump feet first into using a type of tyre which may or may not be suitable for motorcylce use or indeed legal in the UK. Without further research and information I would not be able to make a considered choice.

I must thank you though for your obvious concern.

DWC
dwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #80
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

After finding your posting on the V-strom UK owners site, I'm sorry to have misunderstood your posting here dwc.

I'd say the british V-strom crowd would have been avid participants in witch burning some centuries back.

Probably would have had a hard time convincing them the earth is not flat, too.

And my favorite: "I wouldn't jump out of a plane without a parachute either" No dear Mr. Naysayer, you wouldn't jump out of a plane WITH a parachute, even AFTER seeing other, more courageous, people doing it before.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #81
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Have you ever noticed how some turds sink and some turds float, and how the ones that float smell so much worse? Kind of makes you wish that all turds would sink. Now
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #82
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 114
What about the front tire?

There's got to be someone here thats really standing up for the car tire dream, anyone running a car tire rim setup on the front? there must be some vintage car tire that can fit.......
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #83
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmersonwheels View Post
There's got to be someone here thats really standing up for the car tire dream, anyone running a car tire rim setup on the front? there must be some vintage car tire that can fit.......
Nahhh, I think that would actually be the peanut gallery's dream,,,, their worst dream! That would most certainly result in the atmosphere catching afire, numerous nuns killed and vast multitudes of poor, innocent kittens maimed!!!!!!!!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #84
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
Have you ever noticed how some turds sink and some turds float, and how the ones that float smell so much worse? Kind of makes you wish that all turds would sink.
How true, but I don't think the thread subject was your personality.

ErikDK screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 03:53 AM
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #85
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK View Post
How true, but I don't think the thread subject was your personality.
What that does?

Maybe this will smooth things over: I'm thinking a General Altimax Arctic might be my next rear tire.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #86
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 545
I know three riders that are now running a car tire on the rear. One Goldwing, a Valkyrie, and a VTX 1800. Maybe its a Honda thing.

The Wing rider is 300# plus and 6'3" and rides that thing like it's a big mans sport bike, dragging all sorts of hard parts. He has had zero problems running the car tire on the rear.

Once he got use to the slight difference, no problemo.

The VTX rider isn't as aggressive in the curves, but is really satisfied with the car tire. He's got 12k on it now and says it still looks like a new one.

I go through two rears a year on my Wee. If it wasn't for ridding a good bit of dirt with it, i'd be all over mounting one on it. Hell, i may try it anyway.

It only hurts if you live.
SilentRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #87
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK View Post
Let me see. YOU don't know anything about the subject and decided to consult your peers, a group of riders who are prohibited by UK law to try themselves how car tires work as rear MC tires.

Faced with expert witnesses like that, the case is clear. Car tires can't be used as MC rear tires. Next case.
Just cause its not legal in some places does not mean it cant be done
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #88
Ironballs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Last year I did a coast to coast 25000k trip of hard riding on my dl1000 using a car tire. This was the first time that I had used a car tire on a bike. The reason for the conversion to a car tire was for longevity. Part of the trip was the Trans Labrador Highway which has about 2000k of gravel/rough roads. I was riding with several other sport touring guys who could not believe how well the car tire performed on the bike.

Pros;
The tire looks brand new after about 30000k of hard use, increased straight line stability in all conditions, huge contact patch resulting in quicker stops and better wet weather traction, better traction across the board including loose gravel/mud, can get a replacement just about anywhere for 80-100 bucks, turning stability and grip was as good as any mc tire I have used in 30plus years of riding...

Cons
Awkward very low speed turning from start to about 10kph on pavement, takes more bar input to initiate a turn, and as soon as the bar input is reduced the bike rights itself and tracks straight down the road, very little clearance between tire/chain/swing arm (although I did not have an issue with this), you will not be changing the tire on the side of the road very easily ...you will need a tire changer...

Would I do this again for long trips...yes...
Would I put one on the bike if i was only riding short hops around town with a lot of low speed starts and stops no....
Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #89
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,402
Car Tire on Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmersonwheels View Post
Coker Tire has some expensive vintage stuff, but I'm thinkin' an Avon Safety Mileage 4.00 x 19. They start off with a pretty flat profile and just get more squared off with age. I've been thinking really hard about something like this for when I take the DL1000 on a continental circumnavigation loaded down with bowling balls and Caterpillar D6 bulldozer parts.

Being old and slow I never lean over much farther than I would on a Harley anyway....
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #90
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Coker Tire has some expensive vintage stuff, but I'm thinkin' an Avon Safety Mileage 4.00 x 19. They start off with a pretty flat profile and just get more squared off with age. I've been thinking really hard about something like this for when I take the DL1000 on a continental circumnavigation loaded down with bowling balls and Caterpillar D6 bulldozer parts.

Being old and slow I never lean over much farther than I would on a Harley anyway....
I bet you'd get a pretty good discount at a mind reader..