Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Thorgrim OP
Used'ta could

Oddometer: 534
Do you carry first-aid/EMT kit on short rides?

Last year my riding buddy had a freak mini-accident right in front of me, tucked his front wheel and went down hard but at only about 30mph. It was the only day I've ridden with him that he wasn't wearing ATGATT, he had all of it on except the Kevlar jeans and was wearing a brand new pair of Levi's for the first & last time. Skinned a knee up pretty bad, sprained his left thumb, and a few other bangs and bumps.

In trying to help him I realized that he had absolutely no first-aid gear, and all I could offer him was a couple of small band-aids that wouldn't span the scrape, a clean bandanna, and a half a bottle of water. Pretty negligent of me considering that years ago I was a first-aid instructor and an EMT, so when I got home I threw together some of this and that from the outdated kit in the closet into a big ziplock and put it in one of the side bags. Since then I've improved the contents a lot by adding better bandages, a couple of tourniquets, clothing shears, a SAM splint, chest seals, and various and sundry other things possibly of use. It's also occurred to me that I ride alone a lot and in mountain areas with little traffic, and I might need those things for myself. I ordered a small empty EMT bag that I'll stock with what I think might be needed without loading it down with mall ninja junk. That's going to stay on whichever bike I'm riding.

So, do you carry a first responder or similar kit on your bike all the time, or just on longer trips? If you do, what are the contents?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,497
Yup, always on the bikes. Have one for each bike and it just stays on there. It isn't a full EMT type first aid kit. The $20 Walmart kit.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 20,278
This might be helpful. Related discussion from Trip Planning.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-02-2015 at 03:00 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,367
I carry a full EMT style kit (and training to use it). Rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
sunnyrollins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Laugh Bandages and gauze

I carry Ace Bandages and a lot of gauze. I figure I can make a splint to get me to the car with a stick or piece of plastic armour. But, I'm guessing a lot of gauze and ace bandages to get me to the car to a pharmacy or hospital. I also carry eye wash. Even with goggles on.

Good thread - always be prepared - like a good Boy Scout.
'79 RD400 Daytona Special
www.greenlightsandham.com
sunnyrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
MichaelInVenice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyrollins View Post
I carry Ace Bandages and a lot of gauze. I figure I can make a splint to get me to the car with a stick or piece of plastic armour. But, I'm guessing a lot of gauze and ace bandages to get me to the car to a pharmacy or hospital. I also carry eye wash. Even with goggles on.

Good thread - always be prepared - like a good Boy Scout.
I'm trained in wilderness medicine and have learned over the years how much of the stuff in the standard EMT kit can be improvised or substituted. So I now have a kit that's always on the bike that includes the essentials I'd need for providing first-responder level aid in the field. Would I be able to keep a seriously injured or bleeding person alive for hours? Probably not, but that's above my level of training anyway.

Gauze, self-adhering bandages, tape, a variety of band aids for the small to medium scrapes that we all tend to get from time to time. Always have one of those mini CPR barriers in my jacket pocket along with a pair of gloves and a couple more sets of gloves in the kit. Triage knife is always on my belt. Good thought about the eye wash. I'm never out there without at least a liter bottle of water in one of my tool tubes, but still not a bad idea.

On a longer ride or to a more remote area I would likely add additional stuff. I tend not to be off road much in my current phase of life.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,873
I carry a small waterproof case on my tail rack clearly marked "First Aid". I may be the one in need and may not be able to tell anyone where it is. I carry all the usual assortment of gauzes/triangular bandages/ eye shield/Steri strips /op-sites etc.
It is easily removed and I had it pointed out to me that someone might steal it. If some one takes it who needs it I don't care. If they are just a thief and I catch them.....they may.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
i always carry a first aid kit...have one on every bike and car.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
bikerbelle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Call me paranoid, but I always carry a first aid kit with me (car, motorcycling, hiking...). My bf & I are planning a cross country trip this summer, and we're definitely going to take a robust first aid kit. We'll probably have it carry all of our emergency supplies, both for minor problems (like DayQuil for colds), and for major problems (like gauze and blood clotters for crashes).

SUPER useful suggestion up top to have it clearly marked on the outside of the bike. I hadn't thought about that, but it's a great idea.
bikerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I commend you're being prepared when out and about.

I tried making one kit to cover everything and it grew too big to be convenient and useful in an emergency situation.

Now I have a 'Boo-Boo' kit for regular things needing some OTC meds, band aids, blister/burn/bug sting stuff.

I keep the "HFS" kit with the real emergency items like tourniquet/ice pack/eye wash/butterfly bandages/splints. Might be overkill, but when I need something in an emergency, I dont want to dig through all the packets of pepto, tylenol, and advil.

also a good idea to have stuff on each bike just in case you get separated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbelle View Post
Call me paranoid, but I always carry a first aid kit with me (car, motorcycling, hiking...). My bf & I are planning a cross country trip this summer, and we're definitely going to take a robust first aid kit. We'll probably have it carry all of our emergency supplies, both for minor problems (like DayQuil for colds), and for major problems (like gauze and blood clotters for crashes).

SUPER useful suggestion up top to have it clearly marked on the outside of the bike. I hadn't thought about that, but it's a great idea.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
strat10
Ready for adventure

Oddometer: 94
I carry a kit I bought from REI. It fits nicely in my Water backpack. Its been in there for a lot of rides, never needed it until the other day. Rider went down on a rocky hill climb and tore up his arm pretty bad. Glad I had it with me!

2008 Ducati 1098
strat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
monkey wrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Last year my riding buddy had a freak mini-accident right in front of me, tucked his front wheel and went down hard but at only about 30mph. It was the only day I've ridden with him that he wasn't wearing ATGATT, he had all of it on except the Kevlar jeans and was wearing a brand new pair of Levi's for the first & last time. Skinned a knee up pretty bad, sprained his left thumb, and a few other bangs and bumps.

In trying to help him I realized that he had absolutely no first-aid gear, and all I could offer him was a couple of small band-aids that wouldn't span the scrape, a clean bandanna, and a half a bottle of water. Pretty negligent of me considering that years ago I was a first-aid instructor and an EMT, so when I got home I threw together some of this and that from the outdated kit in the closet into a big ziplock and put it in one of the side bags. Since then I've improved the contents a lot by adding better bandages, a couple of tourniquets, clothing shears, a SAM splint, chest seals, and various and sundry other things possibly of use. It's also occurred to me that I ride alone a lot and in mountain areas with little traffic, and I might need those things for myself. I ordered a small empty EMT bag that I'll stock with what I think might be needed without loading it down with mall ninja junk. That's going to stay on whichever bike I'm riding.

So, do you carry a first responder or similar kit on your bike all the time, or just on longer trips? If you do, what are the contents?

Most med stuff related to Airway Breathing and Circulation can be improvised. The stuff that cant, nobody carries, like OPAs. Knowledge is your best tool and a bit of caution knowing if you get really hurt, you could die due to prolonged response times.
monkey wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
Farther
Corgi is my Copilot

Oddometer: 22
Well, I have to confess that as a retired Firefighter-Medic that I should carry stuff but my kit consists of a couple of clean bandanas, clean water, two tourniquets straps and bandaid fabric strips with triple antibiotic, several Benadryl tabs, several antidiarrheal tabs, Naproxen Sodium tabs, 95% alcohol, 50 feet of spectra cord, cell phone and cortisone cream. The various tabs (now all expired) are stored in 1/2 oz. amber Nalgene brand bottles. The bandaids, triple antibiotic, cortisone cream and tabs go into a small zip lock bag. The cell phone, bandanas, tourniquets, alcohol (stove fuel), spectra cord and water are not dedicated items and serve dual use. Hope for the best and field improvise.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
skelley1
Graywolf

Oddometer: 16
I keep a velcro tear-off med kit bag filled with an augmented IFAK kit I got in Afghanistan that includes a tourniquet and a few other things that I've added for roadside trauma and misc hiking/camping medical needs. I also keep my toiletries kit in it as well since I don't have that many things in it and had the room.

The camo thing in the front is an M4/M9 magazine double pouch that I keep my clear prescription glasses, sunscreen, flashlight, and neck gaiter.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
rotarywing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Kevlar jeans is not ATGATT