Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleefurd View Post
Mulling over many sundries/trip factors;
  • Smart phone compatible GPS position update farkle (if such an animal exists), such that subscribers, daughter, 4 sisters, and close friends might know my whereabouts whilst I'm "away" for months on end?
  • Is smart phone internet access a viable way to seek emergency intel while abroad?... failing that what is the proven method for interfacing with Adv Riders during troubleshooting or resource management mode?
  • If I'm gravitating towards soft luggage, does any available option surpass the Giant Loop?
I think you will find a Spot useful for the purpose of allowing your family to know where you are at all times. The "Spot" device has a "help" button for dire emergencies.

I use Wolfman soft luggage, specifically the Expedition saddlebags and large duffel. I bought their racks, including the reinforcing bar that goes between them, so I could add Roto paks for fuel or water and they seem very sturdy, although I haven't had anything but the bags hanging off of them. I really like the Wolfman saddlebags; they roll up nice and tight and are waterproof. I don't believe that the Giant Loop is waterproof, but I may be wrong about that.

Supahflid screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 06:13 AM
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Hey Pistolero, your in my contacts list. Hopefully my route (not mapped yet) will take me by there. We (Marine Corps Rifle Team) use to go to Oakridge once a year and always ate at Big Ed's when Ed Sr was still among us. The last time I attended I won Tennessee State Championship in Service Rifle classification. Also recall something to the effect of "Boomsday" fireworks event not too far from there. Sorry if I got the name wrong but HOLY COW those folks know how to put on a fireworks show that beats all I ever saw!!!
Thank you for the greeting and invite.
Nice! I'm from very close to there but live close to Nashville now. I used to shoot ALL the time down in Oakridge!

I'm glad you got to see how us east TN folk blow stuff up ... Boomsday is correct sir.

Be sure to give me a shout if you come through. We would love to have you! I will soon have a garage (and a guest bedroom ) and I can help with any maintenance you require... good luck my friend. I'm subscribed and I hope you get up this way sometime.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Originally Posted by cleefurd
Mulling over many sundries/trip factors;
  • Smart phone compatible GPS position update farkle (if such an animal exists), such that subscribers, daughter, 4 sisters, and close friends might know my whereabouts whilst I'm "away" for months on end?
  • Is smart phone internet access a viable way to seek emergency intel while abroad?... failing that what is the proven method for interfacing with Adv Riders during troubleshooting or resource management mode?
  • If I'm gravitating towards soft luggage, does any available option surpass the Giant Loop?

I would go with this one:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

You can write on twitter or facebook.
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,794
Man it must be a small world.

I shot on the Oak Ridge High Power Rifle team for years until I went to college. My dad still shoots with them. If you shot on the USMC team back when Top Corely was running it you shot with me.

Big Ed's is still as good as ever. His son Paul was running it last I heard.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #20
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
Just wanted to say that your initial entry was so well written you may consider something in book form. Didn't read the whole thread and not sure if that has been already suggested.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 194
Spare Connector PDF

Hey,

this ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10302211/KTM_connectors.pdf ) might help. I ordered a couple of plugs from that pdf from the local KTM dealer - just gave them the code.

Good luck!

Alex
Alex_RO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Thanks GZERO. I imagine that is the one Supahflid mentioned too.
WOW! The satelite coverage map is pretty impressive with that service. With the exception of southeastern Africa, India, and the further southern regions of SA, comm looks good.
Same company; I was actually talking about this: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

So it looks like you have a couple of options!

My buddy that I ride out west with has one; it's a nice tool for peace of mind. If he didn't have it, I would!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Top Corley was with teams while I was with them. I was rifle side from 1998-2003 except for 1999 when I defected to the Pistol Team because a Warrant Officer was with the rifle team that summer whom I steered clear of.
Top Corley's wife and I use to converse in Tagolog which I learned from Phillippino Marines while on Barracks Duty in 1983-1984 at Subic Bay.
Yeah, Top Corely and his wife were extremely nice to me. I met them at Quantico when I went through a clinic.

I was on the Oak Ridge Team between 1997-2002. I think I might know the WO you're talking about. I remember there was one Marine that came over to my rifle when I was on the 600 yd line, picked it up on the muzzle and pistol grip, flipped the safety on (with a magazine block and a flag in the breech, and then not so gently let if fall back over.

"That rifle should be on SAFE at all times when you're not shooting!"

Now at this time I was an 18 year old Master class shooter in both x-course and long range, won a national Palma award, and was supposed to shoot with the US Junior Palma Team in England until Nancy Tompkins-Gallager screwed me out of that deal. Plus, that was MY rifle that my dad and I had literally built from the barrel up.

"Well, Sir, if you can figure a way for the bolt lugs to close and lock or a way to get a round in the chamber, I'll keep it on safe between each shot."

He and I didn't get along after that. Another younger Marine came up while I was talking to Grant Singly (USAMU), pulled me aside, and said "Don't' mind him. He's an asshole." I know that's just his training, and I would keep it on safe after that, but when he came over and did that without saying anything to me while I was right there putting on my jacket it just struck me wrong.

That guy wasn't there the next year....

Good luck on your bike build. I've got a few spares, nothing big, but if I can help in any way let me know.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Yep. I thought his name started with an R.

Hate to see you cut the frame. It'll be worth it in the end.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #25
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Alex that is great hope!
That parts list DOES show such a connector for the same requirement for the 2004.
Do you happen to know where the same resource for a 2008 might exist? The '08 ECU requires an additional ECU plug not shown in the one you provided. I had given up and thank you for showing good signs that such a resource might be available!!!

http://forum.lc8.info//files/attachm...g-2010_557.pdf

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #26
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,533
Enjoying your journey. Especially this-
Piloting a bike with its disperate focus awakens clarity, perhaps the wind shews the clutter. I am drawn to it, and inspired to share the ride, and especially watch others. In a little way gregarious again, marveling at the profound experiences of nearly everyone whom I meet here. Its like a whole new clan. Teach me more.

That should be the ADVRider credo. We all know it, but may not be able to express it so succinctly.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 194
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
Thank you!
Alex_RO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Keep it up.....

While I'm enjoying the tear down, I like many others here I'm sure, eagerly await the pictures you'll paint of the ride to follow! I hope you'll enjoy Neil's version of the journey in his books...I did. Good luck
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
Tseta
Lost

Quote:
For the 2004 LC8... page 2 part connector "AO" is the sibling of the additional one needed on the 2008 -on models.

Alas neither of the ECU or "Digital-box" connectors are shown in the above PDF.
Zip-ties might keep that connector on, but given the arrangement, it might prove an awkward and unreliable short-cut.
Still searching for the late model ECU large plug on the left

Hmm...

Perhaps "000700000CO SPARE CONNECTOR CO 34-PINS" is what you are looking for?

This connector is included in both the 2004 and 2008 spare connector part catalogues.

Cheers,

Tseta

P.S. The 2008 catalogue does show the "AO"-connector as well, 000700000AO SPARE CONNECTOR AO 26-PINS X
DIGITALBOX (LC8) (page 1).
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #30
Tseta
Lost

No problem, glad to be of help.

The color-coded picture is a crop from the wiring diagram, that is found in the back of the service manual. Your KTM dealer might be able to sell you one, or you might find a copy floating around the "dark corners" of the web.

(Posting links to said corners is a big "no-no" around here so sorry, can't help there...)

Cheers,

Tseta