User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
izom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Question Scott Summers

what happened to my enduro XR idol scott summers??

in 2008 he did a great comeback as racer and team manager for husky- winning ALL the races in that season-

PlaceMakeNbrNameFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishFinishTotal Points
1HSQ425SCOTT SUMMERS11111111111180
2KTM034PHIL SMITH1122252222322173
3YAM057SHAWN REMINGTON923343485553157
4HON092BRIAN BOLYARD5DNF6751246696135
5SUZ304SCOTT DAUBERT63863245131
6YAM143KEITH JEZIORSKI13727661045129
7HON069EDGAR DAVIS13756911811863126

in the vet 30+ class!!!

and then after 2008 ???

NO internet presence??

hes old sites in the net are off too!???

(summers racing etc.)

what happened?

hope is allright!!

peter

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Yeah whats up?

I definitely admired his riding skills. No one could ride a 300# XR like Scott. I had some of his stuff on my XRL supermoto I built. I always wondered what he could have accomplished if he rode a better bike. He was definitely handicapped riding that old heavy outdated XR stuff. But yet he still kick ass despite. Fredette was like that with the old KDXs. He still kick ass with those dated machines. I havent heard no seen much of him in the last few years.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
I dont have the complete answer.

I do know he was hired to race the BMW G450 in the US, but the bike wasnt up to it, and at the last minute BMW decided he and his hastily put together team should race the then just acquired Husky. Scott to his great credit took a bike with only days to prep, limited parts, etc. and charged into the GNCC series, scoring significant success, and holding his team together in the midst of semi-chaos.

There was tension from the git go - obviously. Its not a recipe for success. And Scott gave up his long time connection with Honda in the process-SRC was shuttered at that time as well, but im not sure the particulars. Scott was then a bit of a scapegoat when Husky USA management screwed up things (they blamed him for taking so many spare Husky parts the USA was short of Husky parts!)

Scott took the high road. He soldiered on. It was hoped he might end up working more with Husky NA but bad blood from the German side seems to have prevented that. The team had a go at it, then got cut down. Scott Hardin came in as Husky race team manager for a time, signed Ty Davis on the west coast and kept a single rider in GNCC.

There is more to it, but thats all i feel comfortable putting on the internet.
All of the above has been already put on the internet so it seems ok to write it here.

Not sure what he's been doing since that. He sure seems like the real deal. Hope he has landed on his feet.
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,971
Wow, just mentioned Scott in a PM and then see this. I had heard through the grapevine that he was going to do some more racing. But he has not shown up on the radar as of late.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,075
i hope to see him back and soon!!!! I have always been a big fan of scott and sure hope to see him back in racing at some capacity.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekay View Post
I dont have the complete answer.

I do know he was hired to race the BMW G450 in the US, but the bike wasnt up to it, and at the last minute BMW decided he and his hastily put together team should race the then just acquired Husky. Scott to his great credit took a bike with only days to prep, limited parts, etc. and charged into the GNCC series, scoring significant success, and holding his team together in the midst of semi-chaos.

There was tension from the git go - obviously. Its not a recipe for success. And Scott gave up his long time connection with Honda in the process-SRC was shuttered at that time as well, but im not sure the particulars. Scott was then a bit of a scapegoat when Husky USA management screwed up things (they blamed him for taking so many spare Husky parts the USA was short of Husky parts!)

Scott took the high road. He soldiered on. It was hoped he might end up working more with Husky NA but bad blood from the German side seems to have prevented that. The team had a go at it, then got cut down. Scott Hardin came in as Husky race team manager for a time, signed Ty Davis on the west coast and kept a single rider in GNCC.

There is more to it, but thats all i feel comfortable putting on the internet.
All of the above has been already put on the internet so it seems ok to write it here.

Not sure what he's been doing since that. He sure seems like the real deal. Hope he has landed on his feet.
It's been purported that Scott's manager threatened law suits with BMW brass when there was a delay in product delivery to race with, that's where the snowball started and just steam rolled into a lack of communication and support between Summers and HSQ/BMW. At that point BMW didn't feel comfortable rebuilding relations or having the new BMW involved in any bad PR, but in turn not having a BMW G450X ever raced in GNCC by Summers was indeed worse PR, and then there was the DK debacle.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
Ia BMW G450X ever raced in GNCC by Summers was indeed worse PR, and then there was the DK debacle.
BMW and debacle in the same sentence?

Now there is something you don't see everyday.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
I bouhgt several of the SRC products for my XR's, good stuff... then they got hard to find..someone else bought out the inventory ( Baker , Baja Designs ?, Xr's only ?? ) but can't remember who..can't find his stuff anywhere now
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
triumph406
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by izom View Post

I missed the event, but I heard from a friend who went to a Big Bear dual sport event that Scott Summers was there (maybe early 90's)

Somebody asked if the picture with him holding the XR600 wasn't somehow staged.

He apparently lifted up an XR650L like it was nothing, just to prove it hadn't been staged!! Incredible.
triumph406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
snarf
WFO and clueless

Oddometer: 658
I heard from a riding buddy of mine, that knows a freind of his.. [ I know..].. that he is apparently making pottery these days.

Anywho- I'd love to know what he's up to these days. I grew up idolizing that guy. I hope life is treating him well.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,647
I know this is an old thread but Scott is alive and well living with his wife on their farm in Petersburg KY. He shows up at IXCR events from time to time on one of his XR600's and always gets top 5 overall.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,075
Great to hear!!!
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
and then there was the DK debacle.

What the hell is "the DK debacle"?
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
What the hell is "the DK debacle"?
I'll guess giving David Knight a shitbox motorcycle he couldn't fix?

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime

Oddometer: 1,975
The wife and I chatted with SC @ an ice cream stop during the '94 Blackwater DualSport Ride. Very nice gentleman!
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote