User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
V Strom 650 vs 1000

Looking to get a V and tend to pull towards the bigger vs the smaller, however many people have said the 650 is surprisingly quick and the abs are surely a Plus. I've only ridden my 800gs with them, but i was sold.

Aside from the clear displacement difference is the 6 really an option for a big dude? I've ridden for many years and the 800gs imo doesn't have the get up and go on the highway, having it pinned often to get it moving.

Can i be sold on the 650? I wish the 1k had abs.

what say y'all?
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
CanadianTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Be sure... take a test ride on both...
Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Jimm Dandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant View Post
looking to get a v and tend to pull towards the bigger vs the smaller, however many people have said the 650 is surprisingly quick and the abs are surely a plus. I've only ridden my 800gs with them, but i was sold.

Aside from the clear displacement difference is the 6 really an option for a big dude? I've ridden for many years and the 800gs imo doesn't have the get up and go on the highway, having it pinned often to get it moving.

What say y'all?
how big?
Jimm Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant View Post
Looking to get a V and tend to pull towards the bigger vs the smaller, however many people have said the 650 is surprisingly quick and the abs are surely a Plus. I've only ridden my 800gs with them, but i was sold.

what say y'all?
ABS can be retrofitted to the 1k, and it works great according to those who have done it.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,324
If an 800GS seems slow to you, a 650 Strom wont feel powerful enough at all. They are a pleasant little bike but nothing spectacular at all about them. The 1000 Strom I had made plenty of power with lots of torque,not the best handling thing on the road but ok in a limited way. I didnt like the way my 1000 Strom tank slapped and wobbled/weaved at speed with luggage on the back,and it drug way too easy on corners. The long wheelbase made it have to lean way over to get around a corner at speed. I probably rode it too hard,my fault.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer: 125
I have owned one of each.
the 650 is fine for 1up traveling most anywhere but just don't have the balls for 2up + gear for 5 days.
The 650 got around 48~54 mpg on average, the 1k will get hi 30's to low 40's.
The 1k has better suspension on it, but the 650 is not "bad" in that regard.... just a little brother & cheaper.
I'm 5'10" @ 225lbs. gear up for a trip, add 50~75 lbs for gear,luggage, amd Cheeto's.....
I run Anakee 2's at 40 / 44 psi, crank the front pre-load all the way up, the rear up to about 85% preload & 2 ~3 clicks up on dampening, have a stock centerstand & have no "chicken strips on the rear, minimal on the front, and just barely touch the pegs without a passenger.
I will be adding a fork brace soon tho...
I sold the 650 after a trip thru north Ark. with a 135lb passenger + gear. Now I ride kinda agressively (but very smoothly) and did not like spinning the motor around 9,500+ for miles at a time. On the 1k it's 5,500~7,000 and much less shifting and drama.
You WILL (with either 650 or 1k) Replace the windshield (i have 4 now before setteling on CeeBailey's) and some sort of aftermarket seat. for the buck, Sargent..... for "Happy Cheeks" It would be a Rick Mayer job.
Now that I have throughly confused you, I will adjourne to my Recliner and indulge in moderately priced straight Bourbon beverages.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
I'm looking at a 1000 as we speak. It's a 2011 with ABS. Not a bad price either. I continue to sit on the fence.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I would sway towards the 1000cc, enough power all day long, the 650cc is a great (all rounder) bike ok, but you need to ride it harder at times unlike the bigger brother, the larger engine has great torque/pulling power.

Lovely effortless grunt!!

I've owned my DL1000 V-Strom just under four years now, bought it new, utterly love it, a great ride!

This is my pride & joy.
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
thank you everyone, i believe this thread will be one that can hang and help inmates for years to come. When i'm talking big, i'm taling 245lbs etc. Not carried in a fat fashion, carried very well but still a heavy thick dude.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I'm looking at a 1000 as we speak. It's a 2011 with ABS.
Suzuki has not made DL1000 with ABS yet.

There were plans to do it I believe, but then the economy went bad, and lots of their plans were scrapped.

Must be an expensive and laborous conversion, to add ABS to a bike later on. Anything can be done of course, if you´ve got the cash, desire and technical expertise. But definitely not worth to do that, if there´s an ABS-model readily available (which in DL1000´s case there is not).

For me, DL1000 clearly has the edge on power and torque. But more or less all other aspects are in favor of the 650 (and newest 2012-version has still improved from the older model, whereas DL1000 has really not changed).

Pecha72 screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 05:41 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Copy this to your google browser and hit enter:

site:advrider.com strom 650 1000
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #12
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Have owned dl650 and ridden with and on a dl1000 many times.
With a larger front sprocket, the wee will keep up with the 1000... Well almost. The 1000 will have more top end.

What I liked most about the wee was stopping for gas. Every other time the 1000 would stop, I could sit on my wee and have some water and a cliff bar.

If you are going to do long distance 2 up, I would recommend the 1000. If it is just you with an occasional pilon, the wee will do the job and save you money in the process.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Suzuki has not made DL1000 with ABS yet.

There were plans to do it I believe, but then the economy went bad, and lots of their plans were scrapped.
Thanks for that. I'll have to do my homework. The dealer I'm talking to seems to believe it has ABS. I have a call into him as we speak. If it doesn't have ABS, I may be back to square one. With the technology so readily available to manufactures, it should bloody well be so equipped. As long as there's a way to easily turn it off on gravel, or when it's not wanted/needed.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I've owned a DL650 and ridden a DL1000. While the 1000 has more power than the 650, it cannot be described as powerful when compared to almost any other liter class street bike. If you're looking for "get up and go", you should look elsewhere. That's not to say both aren't very good bikes, but powerful they ain't.
bv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Ixxioixxl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
"As long as there's a way to easily turn it off on gravel, or when it's not wanted/needed."

I have the 2012 V-Strom 650 and I don't think there is any way to turn off the ABS for off-road travel on the fly(without removing fuses or similar).
Ixxioixxl is offline   Reply With Quote