Have you received your acceptance letter ? Fingers crossed

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #257
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429
Will you teach me how to do standing wheelies.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #258
Jdeks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Blog Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Poskitt Racing Blog

Training in Idaho…

So the last few weeks have been somewhat hectic. A combination of rebuilding / repairing the rally bike after Sardinia in preparation for the Ryedale Rally in the UK meant little time for anything else. Then there was the Ryedale Rally, a tough event (see blog post here) which turned out to be a long and tiring weekend. It has to be said that when the results came out earlier this week, I was actually pretty surprised to see that I took the overall win again. After the issues I had in the second test, I literally rode it like I stole it for the rest of the rally. Pleased with that.
Faced with a clean up operation like this. You know it saddens me to see the rally bike in this state………..
But makes me happy to see it like this again. Damn, that bike even looks sexy when it’s naked!
So, a busy week of work and getting all the bikes cleaned up and serviced along with getting the finishing touches made to my video and getting that published. If you have not already seen it, you can find it in my blog post here or on Youtube amongst all my other crazy video’s! So with all that done, I then had to head to Washington DC for 10 days on a business trip which pretty much saw me out of anything to do with motorcycles. Fortunately I was able to keep up the training a little bit by going on some pretty nice runs down the Mall and across the river in a morning but it has to be said the heat and humidity was killer.
And then to top it all off, I got bitten by a nasty spider which saw me hospitalised and and a bill for over $1000.
So after all this, there has to be something good to look forward to, and there is. In order to make the most of being over in the US, yesterday I jumped on a few internal flights and headed to Idaho Falls, the home of Klim where I’ve managed to arrange a weeks training with some Dakar veterans as well as a visit to the Klim Headquarters to meet the guys there.

I rocked up late last night to meet Ned Suesse, 2012 Dakar Finisher and Director of DoubleTakeMirror.com (one of my sponsors) and Jimmy Lewis, all round Dakar Hero. I was presented with a new 505XCF for the entire week which is a neat bike with a lot of nice parts and some serious power. The jetting was a little off so I worked into the night to get the bike matched to pretty much how I jetted the Rally Bike. A post on the entire rally bike jetting saga will follow when I get the time.
This morning we got up to beautiful skies and temperatures and it has to be said I’m excited to be going riding in Stanley Idaho. Later this week we will meet up with a number of riders including Casey McCoy, 2007 Dakar dude.
I’ll keep you updated this week as much as internet access allows but for now, I’m going riding. Well, after we’ve had breakfast because for those of you that know Ned, he’s getting pretty grumpy!
Lyndon
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #259
BRUNO BOTELHO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Very nice video Lyndon
Keep going!!!

www.motoazores.com
BRUNO BOTELHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #260
MiddleAgedMissile
Only in Dog Years...

Oddometer: 1,033
+ 1
Nicely done.

Rent my Cabin in the Arkansas Ozarks!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318322

06 KTM 950 Adventure
.. an Airhead, more Orange and some other stuff.
MiddleAgedMissile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #261
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Great stuff Lyndon, you lucky bugger!

Could you tell me what you have in your red first aid kit on the bike, and where you got it from?

Thanks
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #262
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Great stuff Lyndon, you lucky bugger!

Could you tell me what you have in your red first aid kit on the bike, and where you got it from?

Thanks
Sure, in line with the FIM Technical Regulations section 080.27 and 080.28........

080.27.1 First-aid medical kit

Each rider must provide himself with a first-aid medical kit composed of:
• A water disinfectant for 40 litres (hydrochlorazone or micropure)
• Eye lotion (Boroclarine, Piroftal or equivalent)
• An antalgic (Aspirine, analgesic or equivalent)
• Two anti-diarrhoeic (Immodium, Ercéfuryl, Bimixin or equivalent)
• Antibiotic (Oracilline, Totapen or equivalent)
• Unguent, disinfecting compresses, two bandages, plasters, 5 safety pins
• One skin disinfectant (Betadine or equivalent)
• One sun screen for skin and lips
• Vitamin C tablets
• Salt tablets (Enervit or Nergisport sodium or similar)
• A soothing cream (Biafine)

080.28 SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT

The compulsory survival equipment, for the Rallies held in a desert environment is the following:
• Each motorcycle must be equipped with a reserve of drinking water of a capacity of three litres minimum. This water must be able to be reached without effort and without any tool, regardless of the position of the
machine
• A soft water tank of minimum 2 litres carried by the rider, of a “Camelbak” type
• One survival supply of rations
• A pocket lamp, if possible flashing
• An emergency mirror
• One compass besides that which is on board the motorbike
• A lighter
• A general map of the country crossed (Michelin type)
• One aluminium survival blanket (about 2 m x 1 m) serving as an isothermal covering and an earth to sun signal
• 3 red hand-held smoke flares
• A klaxon of the Vehicle to Vehicle Alarm system
• A Tracking System
• A single GPS
• A distress beacon

The proper functioning of the survival equipment during the whole event is the sole responsibility of the rider.
The existence of this equipment shall be checked before the departure of each Leg. Failure to possess a part or all of this equipment will result in a refusal to start. The rider will have 30 or 60 minutes (according to the interval between bikes and cars) to conform to the rules; beyond this delay the start will be refused.

Transport of fuel in any other way than in fuel tanks designed for this purpose is forbidden. Similarly, transport of objects, parts, tools… susceptible to cause injuries to a rider (back pack, belt…) is forbidden. Failure to respect this rule will
result in the start being refused.

Hope this helps.
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #263
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Thanks it does.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #264
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pyn is in......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
After a couple of agonising months waiting and wondering if the ASO would accept my entry, the waiting is finally over. I have had my entry confirmed for the Dakar Rally 2013! Thanks to all those that have already supported me and believed in my efforts so far, this has really helped to get me to this stage. With my entry now confirmed, I need as much support as I can get over the next 5 months to get this to the start line in Lima. I will do everything I can to bring you along with me as I prepare for and attempt the biggest race of my life.

My KTM 950 Story
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #265
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,718
If i'm reading the rules you posted above correctly, your required to have a camelbak now and aren't allowed to have tools on your body? Is that correct?

I've also wondered how you guys carry enough water to ride all day in the heat of the desert. I burn a lot of water and its nothing like the desert here. I figure if you have 3 liters on your back you have 6 liters on the bike which could cover a long day but that still seems a bit too small for a really long day in the desert. How much and how do you carry your water?

Header

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #266
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
If i'm reading the rules you posted above correctly, your required to have a camelbak now and aren't allowed to have tools on your body? Is that correct?

I've also wondered how you guys carry enough water to ride all day in the heat of the desert. I burn a lot of water and its nothing like the desert here. I figure if you have 3 liters on your back you have 6 liters on the bike which could cover a long day but that still seems a bit too small for a really long day in the desert. How much and how do you carry your water?

Header
Correct re: tools yes, they'll be on the bike thanks to Kriega.

Water - carry 3 litres in a camel back, 3 litres on the bike (which is only there if you need it - emergency) and get more water at every fuel stop, provided by the organisers.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #267
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Flipping AWESOME dewd!!

I am so stoked for you, bru! (South African slang - ask me about it when you get to Lima)

I'll live my dream through you for next year, definitely. I'll also be chasing you on an 800GS and will probably see you on some of the liaisons for the first 5-6 days or so.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #268
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,461
Bump for awesomness
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #269
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 386
OK Lyndon!

I came across your thread and admit I haven't been paying attention. I started reading what you've been up to and see stuff about serious 950 work. So I beging to wonder about a guy from UK who went to the US and tore apart a 950 back in '06. That thread played a part in me actually getting one. Sure enough it is you!

So, you want to do Dakar? Well, from what I see you may be going about it in the right way! You know the right people. Great decisions made so far, and thanks for sharing it all with us.

If I make a donation am I allowed to make one request??? I'll make it anyway...PLEASE get yourself to the startline in one piece!... THEN have some fun and BRING IT HOME!. You have the tallent. Perhaps remember the 70% rule already mentioned?

Keep that DONATIONS button shining! We all need it.

Good Luck Lyndon.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #270
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post

Hi Pyn,

Will you be sideways at the Beacons Rally this weekend?
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote