Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #1306
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 557
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
It was clear from the timing sheets that something dramatic had happened to Lyndon in the first sector of today's stage, but no one in cyberspace could have imagined how close his rally came to being over. Lesser men would not have been able to repair the damage and bring it home (on pace, no less, once he got going again). We didn't have an interview planned, but I was able to catch Lyndon on his call in and have a chat -- glad I did! Go "Inside the Helmet" as Lyndon talks about what was going through his mind both out on the piste, and at the end of the stage. Brilliant stuff.

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D16.mp3

---------------------------

Public Radio fundraising notice: (Thanks to those who have already chipped in! We're about 3/4 to our goal.)

Last year, through the generosity of the listeners, we were able to cover the cost of Neduro's phone bill for the communication costs to RallyRAIDio and ADVRider throughout the Dakar. If you've enjoyed Lyndon's call ins and interviews on this edition, consider chipping in a few $$, , or toward the cause. Many hands make light work, and based on our experience with Ned last year, the tab will run handily into 4-digit territory (sans decimals). It would be wonderful if we could take this burden off of Lyndon's shoulders.

For those so inclined,

RallyRAIDio @ g mail . com (no spaces) is the RallyRAIDio email addy to which paypal can be sent.

Thanks for your support.
Wow! Thanks Nate!!
Unbelievable effort Pyn! "A Dakar moment...!"
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #1307
Beer
950 SE

Oddometer: 351
fooookin close call today...you can feel the determination to finish in his voice now...c'mon Lyndon...two days to go!!

http://950superenduro.com
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #1308
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Pyndon MacGyver!

Another great call-in. Awesome riding and super mech skills by Lyndon!

ROCK ON PYN!!!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #1309
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,859
AND BREATHE!!

Way to go Pyn, kinda sums up the Dakar and epitomises the adventure riding spirit. Over coming a problem and fixing it with the basic kit you've got.

I've just had freekin kittens today!

2 to go!!! Come on man we're a small breath at the wind in your back, bring her home!!
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #1310
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Link to Pyn's call in tweeted by @carltonkirby (Eurosport commentator)

Described him as 'true mechanic/gladiator at work !'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #1311
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 755
Way to go Pynd. You had me at 'liquid metal'.

Is there a UK translation for "I've just had freekin kittens today!" ???
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #1312
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
He still sounds like he's having a great time being there - I'm amazed at how "not tired" he sounds - upbeat and enthusiastic. Awesome save today - best wishes for the next two days!!!!

Quote:
It was clear from the timing sheets that something dramatic had happened to Lyndon in the first sector of today's stage, but no one in cyberspace could have imagined how close his rally came to being over. Lesser men would not have been able to repair the damage and bring it home (on pace, no less, once he got going again). We didn't have an interview planned, but I was able to catch Lyndon on his call in and have a chat -- glad I did! Go "Inside the Helmet" as Lyndon talks about what was going through his mind both out on the piste, and at the end of the stage. Brilliant stuff.

Public Radio fundraising notice: (Thanks to those who have already chipped in! We're about 3/4 to our goal.)

Last year, through the generosity of the listeners, we were able to cover the cost of Neduro's phone bill for the communication costs to RallyRAIDio and ADVRider throughout the Dakar. If you've enjoyed Lyndon's call ins and interviews on this edition, consider chipping in a few $$, , or toward the cause. Many hands make light work, and based on our experience with Ned last year, the tab will run handily into 4-digit territory (sans decimals). It would be wonderful if we could take this burden off of Lyndon's shoulders.

For those so inclined,

RallyRAIDio @ g mail . com (no spaces) is the RallyRAIDio email addy to which paypal can be sent.

Thanks for your support.

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #1313
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Like I mentioned in the f5irehose - I'm soooo impressed! Wish I could learn about all these bike wrenching skills that seem to live inside Lyndons head! =)
Really goes to show how tight your margin is on an event like the Dakar if you don't know your bike, literally, inside and out.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #1314
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:

For those so inclined,

Thanks for your support.
First of all thanks for sharing your dream Lyndon, you have done what you set out to achieve and more, you have competed in the 2013 Dakar and I think you will finish even if you have to carry the bike over the finish.....
Im a dirt bike nut with a passing interest in Dakar, I found this thread in December and Im hooked on Dakar or more importantly your exploits in Dakar!!!!
I thought yesterday was a tough day, today you showed some real engineering skills along with guts, makes me proud to say im an engineer too.

Nate, thank you for bringing us Lyndon's calls and your interviews, makes it all so much more real for us followers.

For everyone else reading this if you cant afford to buy a support package, like me, then please contribute to the phone fund if you have not already. I am currently unemployed but the entertainment gained from following Lyndon is well worth the 5.00 donation that I have just made, every little helps if everyone contributes. If I can then you can

Dakar 2013 isnt over yet but im wondering who will be competing in 2014?????? GO Lyndon
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #1315
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 418
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
FROM JCR FB:
Johnny Campbell Dakar race report- stage 12 Fiambala to Copiapo.
Liaison 397km
Stage 318km
Today we crossed back over the Andes mountains in to Chile for the final stages. It was 30 degrees at 6am, headed over a 15,500' pass! I was frozen, it was pure torture. I stopped to change gloves and nearly collapsed due to lack of oxygen and an ailing body. Then as we approached the start of the stage after 5 hours of Liaison, I almost feel asleep while riding. At the start of the stage I felt kinda weak and not very confident.
Do the above, then at 30KM into the stage when Lyndon was still at 6000ft lacking oxygen and just warming up when he discovered he had no front brake and the reason why. Right time to make the wrong judgement? Oh yes, very easily, yet he weighed-up the situation perfectly and made a good repair and recovery.

And he gets another crack at the dunes towards Caldera tomorrow morning knowing his front wheel won't fall off. I bet he enjoys it, before taking the sun on his back and heading South for the line.

Good luck Pyn
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1316
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,820
So proud of how Lyndon is doing!

It ain't over till its over folks, no back slapping until he crosses the finish line!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #1317
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 655
This is a Pyndon service announcement...

If you are still looking for a great way to help support Lyndon...
and get some snazzy artwork for your I Love Dakar Wall

Get your Pyndon artwork here!

$10 from each $14 print sold goes directly to Lyndon

RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #1318
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughrk View Post

Nate, thank you for bringing us Lyndon's calls and your interviews, makes it all so much more real for us followers.

For everyone else reading this if you cant afford to buy a support package, like me, then please contribute to the phone fund if you have not already. I am currently unemployed but the entertainment gained from following Lyndon is well worth the 5.00 donation that I have just made, every little helps if everyone contributes. If I can then you can

Thank YOU, Hugh, and everyone who has chipped in to the pot. Many hands do make light work, and every Pound (or Euro, or Dollar, or Kronor) gets us closer to breaking Pyn even on the calls that we get so much out of.

If anyone out there has expertise in international calling, arranging local phones/SIM cards etc, or has contacts in the telecom industry who might be able to help us out in future years, we could really benefit from driving the communication costs down. The ideal situation would be to have someone traveling with the bivouac who could "make the rounds" to different riders (as SafariBerg did several years ago) to facilitate interviews. That would take some serious airtime, though.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #1319
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 655
Would a skype type of solution work?

Quote:
Thank YOU, Hugh, and everyone who has chipped in to the pot. Many hands do make light work, and every Pound (or Euro, or Dollar, or Kronor) gets us closer to breaking Pyn even on the calls that we get so much out of.

If anyone out there has expertise in international calling, arranging local phones/SIM cards etc, or has contacts in the telecom industry who might be able to help us out in future years, we could really benefit from driving the communication costs down. The ideal situation would be to have someone traveling with the bivouac who could "make the rounds" to different riders (as SafariBerg did several years ago) to facilitate interviews. That would take some serious airtime, though.
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #1320
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,914
Thanks Lyndon and Nate!
It is so cool to hear the joy in Lyndon's voice. I can see his big grin in my minds eye.

Very cool.

Quote:

For those so inclined,

Thanks for your support.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote