Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Alan View Post
Wow, this looks like a great way to get your kids ready for riding. I have 5 kids (Yes, my Wife and I know what causes them, and we are very good at it.) and we are on an acre of land. I would love to teach my kids to ride, but my wife is not nearly as supportive as yours. That is one of the reasons I don't even own a bike right now...
--C. Alan
Show her this thread

I am amazed at how many teaching opportunities arise from them learning to ride the bike that don't necessarily have anything to do with riding the bike. I have been able to transfer lessons from their riding experience to other experiences and it is cool to see it "click" in their little brains when they get it. Heck, it has even helped them have a better attitude about the "boring" parts of their school work because they now see that in order to do the higher level stuff, you have to master the basics first.

This has also been a great tool for helping them to learn responsibility. They don't get to ride if their school work isn't done or if they have had a "bad attitude" day. They are learning that the "have to" things need to be done before the "want to" things get done. So the faster they get the "have to" done, the sooner they can get on with the "want to". They also have to take care of their gear and help Daddy maintain the bike. If I find their stuff laying around and not put away, no riding.

It is also a fantastic confidence builder. They see that if they listen and learn, then they can acquire the skills needed to accomplish a desired goal. Like the teaching lessons, this has transferred over to other things as well.

Is there a risk? Sure... Shortly after Daniel was born, my wife and I were both in a street bike accident. We came away without any serious injuries because we weren't acting like idiots and we were fully geared. We got a LOT of pressure from folks to give up riding. After some soul searching and discussion we decided that one of the BIG life lessons we wanted to teach our kids is that life is risky. We can't just curl up in a padded room in an attempt to be safe. At the same time, we don't want to just go all out without taking risk into account. For anything we do, we have to learn what the risks are, how to deal with them, and then make our choices. Sarah is the more conservative of the two. Daniel has no problems with choosing to act, he just needs to learn to slow down and take stock of the potential downsides of his actions. Again though, learning to ride the bike has been great for him in that regard!

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

2008 Yamaha TTR50E (E for electric start). The kids were pretty stoked when they found out

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

The kids really like the TTR50. Daniel likes it because it is faster in first gear than the CRF50. When he first took off across the yard, my wife looked at me with bug eyes... I mentioned that I might need to adjust the throttle stop screw a bit Sarah loves the color and the E-start, but she still likes riding the CRF50 as well and is determined that she will learn how to do the kick start. They rode around the yard together for a while and had a great time following each other. When they stopped riding, Daniel was all, "WE WERE NECK AND NECK...AND... I PASSED HER!!" To which she replied, "We're NOT racing!" Clearly she doesn't understand the mind of her little brother Later I rode around the yard on the CRF50 while Daniel was riding the TTR50. He REALLY loved racing Dad, hehe. I have to admit, I was having a real blast as well I totally cannot wait to get to do some trail riding with these kids!

They've really been doing well with the slaloms and braking drills. I think now I will start with getting them to do figure eights around the cones to help them get the feel for tight turning, fine throttle control, and leaning the bike a bit more while balancing. That should make for some entertaining videos

Yeah... he's all boy

Rachel (3) is dying to get in on the action but she's still to small. She REALLY wants me to put the training wheels on one of the bikes!

I'll be getting back from a week long trip to NC at the end of May and will probably put one of the training wheel sets on a bike, get her some gear, and let her have a go at some slow riding.

Oh... I almost forgot. I've been prepping my KTM 530 EXC for the NC trip. The kids have been begging me to get it in the back yard and run the slalom so they can watch me, hehe. Once I had all the stuff done (sprockets, new grips, and some other maintenance stuff), I fired it up and rolled out back. Daniel was beside himself! He was already doing laps in the yard in anticipation of me joining him. I kept having to stop and tell him to watch where he's going as he zooms across the yard instead of craning his neck around to watch me I did maybe 8-10 laps with him and some small wheelies for his entertainment before putting the bike away so we could get dinner. The KTM really rips up the ground! It really was fun! I know the whole time I am riding in NC I'll be wishing the kids could be riding with me... Someday... Someday...

Two Wheeled Texans