ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #61
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Subscribed...
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #62
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeskin View Post
I am planning to come down Friday evening and leave Saturday evening if you guys have a spot for me ?
Yup, just show up, we will find a spot. I doubt there will be more than 12 people. If there is, we can work it out.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #63
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Well it looks like my dirt bike will be back in action, last night went well. I had to re-tap the threads in my steering stem. That could have gone badly, but it was fine. Now, I'm just waiting for some big snap ring pliers today and I can get my wheel put back together. I simply can't understand why they used a large snap ring in the rear hub.

New wheel bearings, new front sprocket, new EE chain guard - Maybe one of these days I can get my suspension done. Up to now it's been fine, but I really should have stiffer springs. Apparently I'm not exactly the size of an "average rider".
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #64
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 649
add me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
So I grew up driving like a madman up the 395 corridor in CA trying to beat all the motorhomes to good camping spots in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. These repeated 6 hour death rides have left me as a perpetual worrywart when it comes to camping and getting camping spots... seriously it keeps me up at night I swear I don’t worry about much else.. but this is my Achilles heal... so by my count...

Akarob
Popeye
Forty2RI
Callmebuzz
lilolita
cheesebot
tmlee
mrt10x
capt redbeard
advNY (sat night?)
Drewha
JohnA
JGormley
Chrisrielinger

That is 14 currently signed up... just wondering if we shouldn’t try and get two spots if they are available? I will certainly foot the bill for the second spot. The weather is not forecasted to be great... so that may change things up a bit.. just throwing it out there for consideration.
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #65
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 649
They look like evil twin transformers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri View Post
My weekend plan is quickly turning to shit.

Maybe I should bring one of these, , , , , , ,

Ok, Ok, but man, I never thought I would find a brand new 2007 to replace the used 2007 I had
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #66
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewha View Post
May show up on the street bike, I know there was some mention of a road ride. Most likely stop by Friday night on the Ducati, and see how I feel for a dirt ride Sat. or Sun Seeing how Friday is my Bday , I may try to cut out of work early and stop in at the camp .
Right on. I should be set up by friday afternoon and ready for a spin. I've got a nice road route planned out; I just need to figure out how to get it into my droid. Your ST will be perfect for Lantern Hill road!
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #67
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,331
use locus free. it will take your gpx track and display it on a map; either on-line (google, openstreetmaps) or off-line (vector, you can download them from here).

google's my tracks is also an option for displaying and following a track as is osmand.

i've used locus free and osmand with success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
Right on. I should be set up by friday afternoon and ready for a spin. I've got a nice road route planned out; I just need to figure out how to get it into my droid. Your ST will be perfect for Lantern Hill road!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #68
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
use locus free. it will take your gpx track and display it on a map; either on-line (google, openstreetmaps) or off-line (vector, you can download them from here).

google's my tracks is also an option for displaying and following a track as is osmand.

i've used locus free and osmand with success.
Thanks man. I downloaded Locus a few days ago but have yet to start playing with it.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #69
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Now, I'm just waiting for some big snap ring pliers today and I can get my wheel put back together. I simply can't understand why they used a large snap ring in the rear hub.
I was able to use an undersized snap ring pliers to get mine off, but if you don't have any snap ring pliers at all it's a real pain. My DRZ didn't have a snap ring on the double bearing side and popped right out. The first time I did the KTM, I must banged on those bearings for 10 minutes before I found that the snap ring was obstructing my intent. I'm sure some racer somewhere in the world had the bearings spin out on them or something in the past and the snap ring was their solution.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #70
akarob OP
Green Cantern

I had some small pliers and I was able to get it out, barely, but I need a better tool to install it. It'll be here today, no worries. McMaster-Carr can ship anything to me (at my workplace) within 24 hours, they're truly incredible.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #71
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Trying to decide if I want in...is there room for a middle aged fat guy that none of you know (well, Rob might remember me...Husky TE610 with a broken rear shock mount a couple of years ago, and a supply of beer for everybody after the ride )?

Can I truck my bike down? Should I refrain from using my slide-in camper?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #72
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
I will be switching to friday night...riding saturday..
Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #73
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Trying to decide if I want in...is there room for a middle aged fat guy that none of you know (well, Rob might remember me...Husky TE610 with a broken rear shock mount a couple of years ago, and a supply of beer for everybody after the ride )?

Unless you get there first thing Friday morning, I doubt you will get a spot. I'd expect the campground to be full by mid-afternoon. With a tent, you can squeeze into one of my spots.

If all the spots fill up, and we have more people that want to camp, there's a possibility (if there's no huge event) that the rangers will let some people put tents up in the Youth Group Field. I've asked about reserving that field for my function and it's just not going to happen. They don't fall for the "young at heart" argument.

And yes, I remember that ride. That was ugly. wow.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #74
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Thanks man. I would go down tomorrow night and grab a spot early, but it's not gonna happen.

No biggie...I'll get there at some point

I would appear to be the only person on the planet to have that failure with that bike.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #75
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

This your dead horse?

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote