ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #76
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Unless you get there first thing Friday morning, I doubt you will get a spot. I'd expect the campground to be full by mid-afternoon. With a tent, you can squeeze into one of my spots.

If all the spots fill up, and we have more people that want to camp,

So I was planning to show up Friday evening with a tent. But now it sounds like there will be no space. Should I plan to come in early Saturday?

Im not afraid of sleeping literally on the ground, or if I could hang a hammock between two trees, that would be really what I was planning in the first place.
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #77
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
So I was planning to show up Friday evening with a tent. But now it sounds like there will be no space. Should I plan to come in early Saturday?

Im not afraid of sleeping literally on the ground, or if I could hang a hammock between two trees, that would be really what I was planning in the first place.
I'm getting two sites if they are available first thing Friday morning. Per park rules , each site can accommodate six people. I doubt there will be 12 people on Friday night, but if we fill up, we can figure something out. There's a "horse camp" in the park as well - it's a short walk though the Rhododendron Garden away. I think it's reserved for people camping with horses, but if you left your bike near our camp, I think you would be fine. Just don't try to part a dirt bike down there. I've also heard of the Rangers allowing people to camp in the Youth Group Field if spots are limited, but it's up to the Rangers to say it's ok, basically don't act like the HAVE to allow it, because they don't.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #78
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
I'm getting two sites if they are available first thing Friday morning. Per park rules , each site can accommodate six people. I doubt there will be 12 people on Friday night, but if we fill up, we can figure something out. There's a "horse camp" in the park as well - it's a short walk though the Rhododendron Garden away. I think it's reserved for people camping with horses, but if you left your bike near our camp, I think you would be fine. Just don't try to part a dirt bike down there.

Expect to see me before dark with minimalist hammock, fly (tarp!), and little fleece bag

I will bring cash for those of you who can supply me with beers, as my bike doesn't lend well to transporting them

I will bring some hard stuff, if we run out of beer though

ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #79
craftyboy
Ed

Oddometer: 343
Anyone interested to do the full loop friday afternoon from the camp area around 2p? Roll back into camp around 5p.

edcrane.com
craftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
akarob OP
Green Cantern

I'll be up for half a loop. Mrs akarob is showing up with the chowder and I'd like to make sure I'm back in time. There will certainly be riding going on Friday afternoon though.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #81
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 742
My plan is to arrive early Friday am with slide in camper and trailer, then ride my bike to work. I plan on getting a third space so that should allow for 4 more besides me and Mrs Trip. And with what they charge since I'm out of state, the rangers should be happy.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #82
akarob OP
Green Cantern

What time are you getting there? Maybe I'll go then as well. I was shooting for 8-9am, but maybe even earlier.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #83
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,284
akarob, do you think there may be a campfire ban because it's so dry? The CT forest fire danger level is "high" according to Smokey. I'll have to figure out something else for dinner if I can't cook over the fire.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #84
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
akarob, do you think there may be a campfire ban because it's so dry? The CT forest fire danger level is "high" according to Smokey. I'll have to figure out something else for dinner if I can't cook over the fire.
Just got off the phone with CT DEP and they are planning on banning fires this weekend... it is not official yet, but the Ranger told me it was going to happen. Better throw some lanterns in the mix
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #85
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Well, that sucks. It does free up part of my morning though, no wood gathering chores. In light of the fire ban, I'm going to make up something special. Yea, another surprise.

I will be providing my usual large propane powered burner and cast iron skillet. That thing can cook anyting from full racks of ribs, scrambled eggs, hot dogs, steak, lasagna, poached salmon - whatever. Cooking is covered. All I ask is that you clean it out with some water (no soap required). I'll be happy to demonstrate the 5 second cleaning method. Basically, pour water into hot dirty skillet, then grab a wad of paper towels with the tongs, and swirl it around - BAM! It's clean.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #86
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel View Post
This your dead horse?

Yup, that was the episode
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #87
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
What time are you getting there? Maybe I'll go then as well. I was shooting for 8-9am, but maybe even earlier.
8 to 9 am IS early for me.

I will be bringing a small propane grill as well.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #88
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Yup, that was the episode
You must have cased it on a rock just right, or angered the dirt bike gods somehow.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #89
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,724
No campfires!? Where am I going to throw all my garbage?!

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #90
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Oddometer: 547
I'm down for the Fri. afternoon loop.