Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
gmiguy OP
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,174
Are you willing to relocate for better riding?

I talk to and see posts from lots of people who say that the riding where they live isn't very good, and they have to travel several hours to get to good twisties and sufficient Z-axis. These people typically live on the plains, or in Florida, or similar flat areas.

How many people here deliberately left this sort of place to go somewhere with better riding?

I certainly did. I grew up in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, where there were plenty of turns and elevation changes on "normal" roads and even better true mountain roads just a short hop away.

Then I went to college and got a job out in the flatlands. It actually took me a while to figure out what was missing, why the roads were boring, and why all the "parks" were just grass and monkey bars. There weren't any mountains!

So, I quit my job, packed up my life, and moved the whole operation to the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, which is among the best riding country in the US. I'm much happier here, and there are absolutely fantastic roads just off my doorstep.

If you aren't willing to relocate for better riding, why not? I get that moving is a pain, but if riding is a big part of your life and something that brings you lots of happiness then why not put yourself where the best riding is?

Dedicated surfers tend to live by the ocean, right?
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,775
I'm in the southern Appalachian Mtns in N GA so welcome. Having been born and raised in and near wonderful places to ride asphalt, FS road, and what use to be a lot of open trails back in the 60's and 70's, I can't envision having to travel to ride. I might not have taken up the sport.

I can't imagine living and riding somewhere that the roads are flat and straight and the only curves to be found are exit ramps.

My weekly commute to the cabin.

mb90535im screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 06:20 AM
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Welcome to the neighborhood, please close the gate behind you.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
I moved from Montana to Seattle then to Portland so I could ride 365 days a year.

Montana is only a days ride away so I can get over there easy enough when I need a fix.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
No desire to move regardless of the riding. Riding is a part of my life, but not the guiding factor of why I live. Speed and carving corners doesn't do much for me, did at one time but it's a fleeting rush these days.

As for the east, my only visits to the Smokey's left me feeling claustrophobic. (it was beautiful country) I like more open spaces, more of a high desert person. The east in general is too many people, in too small of a place with too little sky.

I could enjoy living in western New Mex or eastern Az, but making a living is tough and they dont say y'all.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,633
I had to relocate for a job paying enough to survive. Fortunately I'm only about 40 miles from the start of the Appalachian foot hils and some extremely high quality and quantity roads. If I could afford it and my wife would do it, I'd live on some mountain in the Appalachians in a heart beat. The old range has a huge quantity of winding little highways and byways along with dirt/gravel back roads, due to the rounded nature of the mountain range. The stuff may not be as breath taking in views as the Rockies and all the newer craggier ranges, but I think the riding in general is excellent all through the range from the south to the north - after all, Deal's Gap certainly isn't the only road like that up and down the coast, and look at the reputation it has.

Yes, I'd love to live more into the mountains than I do. Where I once lived about 100 miles north and east was good, but another 50 miles further east would have been idyllic.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,396
Nah, I like where I am. And having graduated from work, I can visit "exciting places". Because, after all, half the fun is in the trip...
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
If you aren't willing to relocate for better riding, why not? I get that moving is a pain, but if riding is a big part of your life and something that brings you lots of happiness then why not put yourself where the best riding is?
Several factors: paycheck and family, primarily. If I could make approximately the same money and my father and son were in the area, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd rather jones for a mountain ride than for my family and the ability to pay for riding, I suppose.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Fortunately for the types of riding I enjoy there are few places that compare to the PNW.

I grew up on the east coast, and spent many years driving longhaul, If I had to relocate, I would be willing to make sacrifices to stay west of the Rockies for many reasons including riding..
Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,603
I think it's all relative. I see the same roads pretty much every summer. I also get a good 3-5 months of riding in a year. So those who have the ability to cross into the neighboring State yet are unhappy, think of me.

I've contemplated on moving down south but I don't want to start over in careers. I'll just have to keep a bike south.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I think it's all relative. I see the same roads pretty much every summer. I also get a good 3-5 months of riding in a year. So those who have the ability to cross into the neighboring State yet are unhappy, think of me.

I've contemplated on moving down south but I don't want to start over in careers. I'll just have to keep a bike south.
you can leave it with me. i'll make sure it gets proper attention while you're away.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Yes
I have not owned a car in ten years and will never live were I can't ride everyday
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
evanqueen
Learning Contentment

Oddometer: 39
I would and am in a few years. Out west or NC/VA mountains.
evanqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
I didn't move up here to The Hills for motorcycling, but it's what keeps me here. The Ozarks is motorcycle heaven, among other things... Hiking, canoeing, etc. Nice quality of life. I wouldn't leave it for a big city in the flatlands without a huge (six figures huge) change in my income and plenty of time off to travel to the mountains. It just wouldn't be worth it.

I'd leave this place only for the Sangre de Cristos or San Juans.

I love Texas and Louisiana, but too humid and too flat.

Too many people East of The Mississippi and West of the Sierras.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
gmiguy OP
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood, please close the gate behind you.
Thanks, I've actually been down here for about 4 years.

How long until I'm allowed to start complaining about the newcomers?
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote