Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles0449 View Post
Hahah ok so I guess ASO tours might not be a good option then

Plenty of other ways to do things, liking the idea of every other day hook ups and partying with the babes in town...much more to my taste!

Ride, party and then pay a media car for a couple of days access throughout.. sounds spot on. Or you could just enter the rally as a "mechanic" but we all know that unless youre very useful and know the right people, then it's $$$$ for one of those seats!
An option could possibly be to hook up with a competitor, pay a small fee to said team and be listed as a mechanic on the team. You pay for your mechanic entry fee to the ASO, receive bracelet than do what ever the heck you want. You would have access to the bivouac, meals etc. You would not be able to bring your bike/vehicle into the bivouac though.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
very hard the do because o the crow's,Best way is see the race evry other day and leap frog the course, camp in a remote area and see the rally pass the next morning .,repeat every night o every other night iff needed.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Those ASO tours of the bivouac look disappointing. You walk as a group on a tour through camp. Didn't look like fun.

Last year there were some press vehicles selling seats in their trucks, also entitles you to sleep in the bivouac. Ya you don't get to see the racing much but being in camp everyday is very cool

Chasing the race on a bike looked like fun but again you likely will not see much actual racing as you'll be pounding miles just trying to keep up. If it were me (and th thought has crossed my mind ) I would chase on a Bike, skip every second day, enjoy the riding (as it looks awesome), camp in the desert along side the track every second day so you can watch every competitor go by. 7 days of watching the racers go by, camping beside the track each night. Some fun getting off the roads to find cool camp spots with a view. With a bit of planning it could be a very cool trip, not cheap but very cool

Renting a bike...not sure about border crossing and the reliability of rental bikes. Shipping a bike $$$ but seems like the way to go.

Yes I have given this some serious thought
Shout me a pm if you get to the point where you become serious about going
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
very hard the do because o the crow's,Best way is see the race evry other day and leap frog the course, camp in a remote area and see the rally pass the next morning .,repeat every night o every other night iff needed.

best plan ever.

I'm not too much of a "guided tour" guy, neither am i interested much in following the rally on a 6x6 or even a 4x4. 2x1 is where all the fun is .

I'm in to be part of a (small-ish) group of 4-5 ADVriders following the rally per Deadly's above plan. Lets do this !!!! What could possibly go wrong. Our very own Pyndon is going to be Dakar'ing in 2013 so you have all the justification you need to give SWMBO ....
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
Vicks
I love sand !!!

so, who else is in ?

Shit !! I need to talk to my boss first about the month long vacation i need in the last quarter of the year
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
best plan ever.

I'm not too much of a "guided tour" guy, neither am i interested much in following the rally on a 6x6 or even a 4x4. 2x1 is where all the fun is .

I'm in to be part of a (small-ish) group of 4-5 ADVriders following the rally per Deadly's above plan. Lets do this !!!! What could possibly go wrong. Our very own Pyndon is going to be Dakar'ing in 2013 so you have all the justification you need to give SWMBO ....
Im finishing the details for this .
I plan on taking a group o riders ,ride and see the race every other day , have a chase truck so the ridding be with a unloaded bike tru very remote places special in argentina were we will see the race pass by in their way to tucuman and we going to staty @12k feet ridding for 2 days and waith for the race pass by somewere in the chilean side pass paso san francisco .
working on the cost and see how many bikes i can arrenge for rent .
we will also ship customers bikes from los angeles to lima and back from santiago to los angeles .
The goal is have 2 trucks
1 service truck working for 3 racers and the other truck follow the tour ,that way we will also have bibobac acces few times during the race .
I be down in peru/argentina and chile for 2 weeks at the end o the month getting all the details work out
The lodging be camping and staing in locals homes every 2 o 3 days for a nice bed/shower/laundry
after the rally finish we plan in ride 10 to 12 days in the lake district tru some old remote rds and 2 tracks .

Some teaser pictures o the places we will see

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,816
I had pretty good seats to watch it this year, and here are my thoughts:

1) Deadly99 and Trailtrick speak the truth re: hopscotching. I'd love to go with Javier, he knows the terrain like very few and will definitely get you to the good spots.

2) There's a lot of pavement riding in the race... which means that you have a lot of riding to do at the same speed as the racers, just to handle liasion. However, there were several stages last year where the racers made a loop or backtracked, making it easier to keep up. I'd pick the stages I wanted to follow carefully, and base the decision somewhat on terrain but more on the strategy of keeping up.

3) The best places to view were not near paved roads. You need to go on something that is off-road capable to see more than gas stops/ lame dirt sections. Would be well worth the hassle to get to some of the good spots where Locals were (and Javier could help with this)- big sand hillclimbs, etc that would be a thrill all day.

4) Don't forget to enjoy where you are... SA is awesome, Dakar is like a bubble passing through, a little time in the bubble is cool but time outside of it is maybe cooler.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Vicks
I love sand !!!

trailtricks and ned, thanks much for your valuable inputs.......
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,859
Wow!! Cheers for the input Ned I've only got as far as checking flight prices from the UK for the missus and I, but they only go up as far as December. I also need to check some freight companies for shipping the bike too.

I like the idea of chasing for a week or so, maybe to see the end stages and the final day, then go and check out a bit of SA outside the Dakar "bubble" it's a he'll of a long way for us to go for 2 weeks so I also will have to check with my gaffer to see if I can get the time off.

Food for thought though guys and as always I appreciate the input.

Thank you.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer: 189
Still keeping an eye on this one Gav! Really interesting input from Deadly and Ned amongst others. Trailtrick - could well be an option so please keep posted on further updates please! If you've room for another that is

This is getting interesting....
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswgareth View Post
Still keeping an eye on this one Gav! Really interesting input from Deadly and Ned amongst others. Trailtrick - could well be an option so please keep posted on further updates please! If you've room for another that is

This is getting interesting....
Is room for more , iff i get a lot more guys I can split in 2 groups and My brother can lead the second group ,he nows the area also but his english is limited .
I be in north argentina ands south peru the end o the month getting the details ready and talking to the locals the i no to see how many we can cater in local family's home ,that way you also get to leave and share some time with the locals and their culture + help their economy in place the go to expensive hotels the are own by rich corporations .
Most tours are geared to ride from big town to big town and staing in hotels and that take you away from the real south america and the locals that for the most part ara awesone

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,183
Javier, I'm interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
Im finishing the details for this .
I plan on taking a group o riders ,ride and see the race every other day , have a chase truck so the ridding be with a unloaded bike tru very remote places special in argentina were we will see the race pass by in their way to tucuman and we going to staty @12k feet ridding for 2 days and waith for the race pass by somewere in the chilean side pass paso san francisco .
working on the cost and see how many bikes i can arrenge for rent .
we will also ship customers bikes from los angeles to lima and back from santiago to los angeles .
The goal is have 2 trucks
1 service truck working for 3 racers and the other truck follow the tour ,that way we will also have bibobac acces few times during the race .
I be down in peru/argentina and chile for 2 weeks at the end o the month getting all the details work out
The lodging be camping and staing in locals homes every 2 o 3 days for a nice bed/shower/laundry
after the rally finish we plan in ride 10 to 12 days in the lake district tru some old remote rds and 2 tracks .
I retire in November and to kick off my retirement, I am looking into shipping the 950SE down, watching some of the Dakar, riding down to Ushuaia, and then riding north to home. Sounds like my plans may mesh well with Javier's. I'm all ears . er, ah, eyes anyway until I talk with Javier. Please keep me in the loop.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
Vicks
I love sand !!!

I think there is a good plan in the making with Javier's proposal.

Anybody else planning to do this ?

DeeGee, i got a quote for shipping the bike by Air and its too expensive so i'm looking at sea freight options now. PM's ya.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #28
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
In 2013 I would not be able to get enough time off work to make this trip. All I ask, when the 2013 spectator ride takes shape you guys better do as good of a job as Neduro did in 2012 of keeping us posted on your progress.

It never dawned on me to attend Dakar as a spectator. BUCKET LIST MATERIAL
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
I think there is a good plan in the making with Javier's proposal.

Anybody else planning to do this ?

DeeGee, i got a quote for shipping the bike by Air and its too expensive so i'm looking at sea freight options now. PM's ya.
I'm seriously considering going with Javier. Just out of curiosity, what was the quote for shipping by air?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #30
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,372
I recently was reminded by Google to migrate some old google videos to Youtube, and co-incidentally they were from the '06 Dakar, Stage 4, Erg Chebbi.