User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
pfetter OP
TCretro

Oddometer: 45
1972 Ossa Pioneer

Are there any Ossa Enduro owners out there. I just picked up a 1972 Ossa Pioneer today. Owner had replaced tires, sprockets and chain. It runs but needs a little work before it is ridden. As I go through the bike I was looking for a good forum to ask questions on.
Attached Images

pfetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Doppelganger
Alive & Living

Oddometer: 130
Nice looking bike! What did it set you back?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
I still have the 1972 Pioneer I bought new - at one time I had 14 Ossa motorcycles. They were a great bike in their time with amazing low end grunt for a two-stroke - perfect for the tight woods riding common on North Georgia.

Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
pfetter OP
TCretro

Ossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto da Vinci View Post
Nice looking bike! What did it set you back?
A trade was involved but I would say value of the trade was about 1500.00. Which with the tires, chain, sprockets wheel bearings and some other items that were done was a good thing. I plan on riding it a bit and then sell it and try to get my value back.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
pfetter OP
TCretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1 View Post
I still have the 1972 Pioneer I bought new - at one time I had 14 Ossa motorcycles. They were a great bike in their time with amazing low end grunt for a two-stroke - perfect for the tight woods riding common on North Georgia.

No wonder they were hard to find you owned them all.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 144
I owned a 70 Pioneer that I brought back to life - sold it to a guy in Australia.
I've owned quite a umber of OSSAs- raced Phantoms back in the 70's
Great bike!

There is a mailing list with some very knowledgable people on it.

I have a 2014 OSSA now- fantastic bike!

Is is the replacement for the Pioneer- still in concept stage and with the Spanish economy who know if/when they will build it

Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I have a 2014 OSSA now- fantastic bike!

New Explorer? weight, fuel tank capacity, range? - I like that a lot - looks like an outstanding playbike. The old Explorer was a MAR Plonker with a bigger tank and plusher seat - really miss my old MAR it was the most fun of any bike I've owned.

Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
Lotus54
Ngana

Yes, new Explorer.
2 gallons, I've gone over 60 miles of Singletrack without running out of fuel.
163lbs dry. I weighed it, with both bikes 3/4 tank fuel, it was 75 lb less than my 09 KTM 300 XCW!
Yes, this new one is the same idea, the TR trials model, with extra fuel tank and subframe/seat (plus full lighting)

Mark
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
pfetter OP
TCretro

Quote:
Yes, new Explorer.
2 gallons, I've gone over 60 miles of Singletrack without running out of fuel.
163lbs dry. I weighed it, with both bikes 3/4 tank fuel, it was 75 lb less than my 09 KTM 300 XCW!
Yes, this new one is the same idea, the TR trials model, with extra fuel tank and subframe/seat (plus full lighting)

Mark
What does a new explorer set you back? I can't believe how much weight they have taken off these bikes since I quit riding enduros in the 80's. I was at Mid Ohio Vintage days last week and have to say it took me back 30 some years, and to compare the vintage to the current is something else.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
Lotus54
Ngana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfetter View Post
What does a new explorer set you back? I can't believe how much weight they have taken off these bikes since I quit riding enduros in the 80's. I was at Mid Ohio Vintage days last week and have to say it took me back 30 some years, and to compare the vintage to the current is something else.
It. Was about. $8k.
Not cheap, but about the going rate. I sold my RS250 and GasGas TXT Pro and that pretty well paid for it.
Plus I've sold my KTM since I never rode it anymore.

Mark
Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
pfetter OP
TCretro

1972 Ossa Pioneer

I am just getting ready to start the Pioneer that I bought a few days ago. I did notice that the fellow had left the one petcock turned on and gas was dripping out of it. When I kick it over with the plug out it will push some fuel out of the plug hole. In my old days of riding enduros if I would ingest water or crankcase would get flooded with fuel real bad I would take the tank off and actually turn the bike upside down on the handle bars and rear fender take the plug out and kick it over and then just let it drain for a bit. Does that solution still hold true for a OSSA?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Lotus54
Ngana

I would kick/push it in normal attitude, then flip it over, put it in gear and spin the wheel till your arm falls off.
Be careful with those fuel petcocks- they get old and quite brittle. New ones are avaliable and I would plan on buying a pair and new hose.

If the clutch is stuck (common) I would tie the clutch lever to the bar- let it sit over night. With it still pulled in, start it, push the bike to slide into gear then
Stomp on the brakes. That will usually loosen it right up.

Mark
Old 07-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
pfetter OP
TCretro

Quote:
I would kick/push it in normal attitude, then flip it over, put it in gear and spin the wheel till your arm falls off.
Be careful with those fuel petcocks- they get old and quite brittle. New ones are avaliable and I would plan on buying a pair and new hose.

If the clutch is stuck (common) I would tie the clutch lever to the bar- let it sit over night. With it still pulled in, start it, push the bike to slide into gear then
Stomp on the brakes. That will usually loosen it right up.

Mark
Thanks for the info. I did tip it upside down and put in gear and rolled the wheel it probably pumped out about a 1/2 pint of fuel that was in the crankcase. Turned it back over cleaned the plug hooked everything back up and 1 kick it started right up. Now that I have it running I am going to check lights and output from magneto. does anyone know of a 12 volt conversion for a Ossa Pioneer.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 523
Well, the threadjacking's already occurred, so I'll continue it.

Here are my MAR and Explorer, both made in mid-1974. The MAR did well in its day - 2nd in the national trials champs in my country. The Explorer is a better trail bike, just acause of the tank and seat.

Both have period Mudder mudguards ("fenders" for the Philistines among us...), the MAR's rear shock top mounts are moved forward, but otherwise pretty much standard. The Explorer still has a standard speedo that works.

I just love these things offroad: running out of steam? running out of grip? - change up a gear and nail them.

I lust after a '74 SDR. None came in to New Zealand, as far as I am aware. Bugger all of any OSSAs did...3 Explorers, a few more MARs.

PJay screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 08:18 PM
PJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
pfetter OP
TCretro

Ossa Pioneer oil and 2 stroke oil

Hey PJay, nice looking bikes. I am going to change out the crankcase oil and get some fresh fuel in the tank for the new purchase. I have been away from 2 strokes for awhile (35 years). What is a popular oil for the gearbox and what is a popular oil to mix with the fuel and what is the ratio you guys use for the fuel oil mix. Just got back from Michigan SOS trying to get a title as the bike had none. Purchased the bike out of state which made it more difficult, anyone interested in what I had to do, post the question or send me a PM. Thanks for the help with the oils.