Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Taunt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
GSW/GSAW Switch Issues

Hello All,

About 800 miles on my 2014 GSA and I had my first issue of any consequence. My start/stop switch is very stiff and does not want to engage to start the bike. It will not "click" into place at all and I am worried that I might get stuck with no ability to start the bike. I have e-mailed the dealer and and waiting for the work week for a response.

I have noticed a number of post with switch issues and in the interest of getting all of them together, I would appreciate it if you could post your switch issue here.
Taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
kurt1305
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I have the same issue and had to tap it with a mallet to get it out of the "kill" position. For now, I just turn the key off. My dealer ordered a new right switch housing to be installed at the first service next week.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Switches on the GSW are a weak spot ...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,501
I'm having the same intermittent issue with my 2014 GSA.

I owned a 2012 K1600GT prior to the GSA and they had a ton of switchgear issues on both the right and left side (affecting the start/kill and on the other side, electric windshield switch). With the GT, the start/kill and windshield switch wouldn't work at all. It seemed to be a problem brought on by parking in direct sunlight/heat for an extended period. Guys were actually filling a baggie with ice and holding it on the switchgear---after a few minutes, the switches worked. Of course, no ice meant you pushed the bike into a shady spot. As long as you waited for the switches to cool off they'd work again after an hour or so. Great!

Yesterday on my GSA, it was only 70 degrees under cloudy skies and it happened after an hour when I stopped to eat. This was the second time in just over one month and 1200 miles. So far, all I had to do was to push harder on the starter to get it to work.

What pissed off alot of GT owners was the replacement switchgear were no better than the ones that failed in the first place. Either they hadn't found a fix or if they did, new switches were taking time to get manufactured. Hopefully this won't happen to GSA owners!

Mike M screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 01:36 PM
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Tatnall007
b00b

Oddometer: 125
I've got a 2014 Adventure with 2800 miles and the cruise control switch has given up. The cruise works if I hold the larger switch in the ON position (where the Set/Res can be rocked), but as soon as I let it go, its OFF. SO FAR, that is the only issue with that side's switch gear, but I imagine they have to replace the whole thing to fix it. My problem feels mechanical versus connection related, but I'll post the results once the dealer takes a look. I'd prefer that they just order a new switch assembly, but they have to see it first

[6/13] Dealer took a look and ordered a left side switch assembly (says its a ride in and ride out replacement). For now, part of a small wire tie under the switch give it enough "detent" to stay in the ON position so I have cruise if I want it.

Tatnall007 screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 10:01 AM
Tatnall007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Taunt OP
Adventurer

Response is in

Talked to the service manager today. He didn't even ask to look at the bike and just ordered the switch. None in North America. Apparently the problem is "common" and they have been having problems with them right out of the crate. Food for thought if you are experiencing these types of issues.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatnall007 View Post
I've got a 2014 Adventure with 2800 miles and the cruise control switch has given up. The cruise works if I hold the larger switch in the ON position (where the Set/Res can be rocked), but as soon as I let it go, its OFF. SO FAR, that is the only issue with that side's switch gear, but I imagine they have to replace the whole thing to fix it. My problem feels mechanical versus connection related, but I'll post the results once the dealer takes a look. I'd prefer that they just order a new switch assembly, but they have to see it first
Yep ... I have either had no cruise (before grip replacement) or a cruise that does not want to disengage until I pull over and shut off the engine. BMWNA has been no help on the last issue other than to say to take it in on my dime (for hours of update / re-programming) since the problem is intermittant. I got a copy of the puma report and will send to the appropriate folks if I should have an accident caused by the cruise.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Shamone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Recently had the starter button very stiff to operate, although once I managed to force it it's been ok since (one month ago).

Just had the right turn signal not working - left was fine. Had to operate it about 10 times before it started working again.
Shamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #9
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunt View Post
Talked to the service manager today. He didn't even ask to look at the bike and just ordered the switch. None in North America. Apparently the problem is "common" and they have been having problems with them right out of the crate. Food for thought if you are experiencing these types of issues.
I've had 2 faulty sets on the left. Dealer just ordered new ones. I phoned them on saturday (entire left cluster failed) and on tuesday they installed the new one. At the moment I have the new model of switch since december and they seem to be fine.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #10
Taunt OP
Adventurer

new model of switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
At the moment I have the new model of switch since december and they seem to be fine.
Did the design of the switch change or is it a change in manufacturer or production run number?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunt View Post
Did the design of the switch change or is it a change in manufacturer or production run number?
They look alike. New manufacturer. They might have a new partnumber, but I am not sure.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
Rick_W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Dealer called yesterday and said my new left switch housing arrived.

Now to wait at least a week before I can ride over and have it installed.
Rick_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #13
Shamone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
I have had 2 replaced in the past year. Now the cruise is playing up.

Make sure you check you have not pulled any of the 2 cables/connectors out of the switch block, push them back in with a small flat screwdriver. Mine edge out over time due to bar risers.

Ah I have just fitted risers. Didn't realise the cables plug in on the switch side ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I'm having the same intermittent issue with my 2014 GSA.
Yesterday on my GSA, it was only 70 degrees under cloudy skies and it happened after an hour when I stopped to eat. This was the second time in just over one month and 1200 miles. So far, all I had to do was to push harder on the starter to get it to work.
Got lucky...the dealer here has a right side switchgear in stock. Hopefully, it works fine.

Mike M screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 11:56 AM
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #15
Twisted1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Just picked up my 2014 GSW yesterday.
Had about 14 miles and my start button didn't want to get out of "stop" position. A very hard push and it moved.

I took it apart and filed one to the detent tangs down inside.
Works better, but will be calling the dealer on Tues.

Unfortunately the dealer is 3.5 hrs away.

Hoping I can convince them to send me one and I'll send back this bad one.

Twisted1
Twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote