User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Androclese
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wink

No, I don't. I avoid Chinese products whenever I can, and for a variety of reasons. But its here, so I'll let you all know how it does, if it does well, it can stay. if not, I'll post pics of it in flames :)

Androclese screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 05:14 PM
Androclese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Hey Panhandle, does the BMW small bag bottom pocket slip over your GSA luggage rack or did you strap it down to it?
Mike,
It's strapped down, comes with two sets of four staps in different adjustable links. The typical male/female two piece type that are quick disconnect, so you leave half of the four on the bike while lodging, then just snap the rear bag back in place. I've used the bag on some real long hauls over 18 days in all types of weather, no complaints.

r//Chuck
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
Androclese
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I rode 650 miles today, got rained on through Kentucky, and some in Chicago. The softbag stayed securely in place, but was not much for water proof. all compartments had water intrusion to some degree.(everything needed a ride in the dryer) Put your stuff in a big ziploc bag first, then you should be okay. Jury is still out on this item
Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
badbs101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androclese View Post
No, I don't. I avoid Chinese products whenever I can, and for a variety of reasons.
+1

Yup, sadly BMW bags are made in China. My BMW tank bag is made in China too. The quality is very good but you can get just as good for less. Wolfman luggage is made in the USA; high quality and a little cheaper than the BMW China stuff.
badbs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,609
I just got one----bought it at a discount on eBay. I also have the previous generation 51L BMW bag and like it so decided to give the small bag a try for my trip to the Dragon, north on the BRP and back.

As far as attachment to my GSA stock rack----it's cinched down solid as a rock. Using the short straps provided and the 4 quick release clips makes it easy to pop off and bring inside the hotel.

I'm heading up to the mountains tomorrow......I'm sure I'll see some rain and will report how the bag does.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
+1

Yup, sadly BMW bags are made in China. My BMW tank bag is made in China too. The quality is very good but you can get just as good for less. Wolfman luggage is made in the USA; high quality and a little cheaper than the BMW China stuff.
2nd for wolfman stuff. Have a duffel bag, and a tank bag. Rode through day long rain, multiple times and neither one of them leaked.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
I'm looking for a BMW Sport 2 Soft Bag, the big one. If anyone is selling or knows where to get a used one, please advise. I had one and sold it with my last GS. Wish I had kept it.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,609
Ok, I got the small Sport Bag and it served me well on my trip through Northern Georgia, Tennessee, the Cherohala, Deals Gap and into North Carolina and Virginia via the BRP. Fit was great on the GSA. The "sleeve" on the bottom fit over the end of the luggage rack and the short straps secured the bag---solid as a rock. 4 quick release clips and it popped off so I could bring it into my motel room at night.

Unfortunately, the stitching on one side of the sleeve let go. It didn't affect the performance of the bag or how secure it remained on the rack, but still----a big disappointment. I contacted the BMW dealer I got it from on eBay (San Diego BMW Motorcycles) and they said I could get it replaced under warranty----but quickly informed me that shipping back and forth would be my responsibility. Nice.

They also said I could get it warrantied at any BMW dealer with my eBay receipt so that's what I will likely do.

Other than the stitching, the bag performed well. I liked the small pocket on top for items I wanted to get at quickly like my camera and to put my regular eyeglasses when I switched to my sunglasses. The side zipper compartments were useless except for papers or the like (??). The inside was really large. Held my cable lock, first aid kit, assorted tools, mini air compressor, cigars, hat, etc....

Here it is:

And the stitching problem:

Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #24
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
had one on my last GS and absolutely loved it.....straps down securely and comes off with the unbuckling of four clips....i also rode thru a rainstorm with it and not a drop of water made its way inside. why do i like the Softbag 2 (small) tailbag so? it removes the need for a tank bag, offers tons of space (i used mine on a two nighter rafting trip), is expandable, has side pockets (grab 'n go), offers a makeshift backrest for a passenger and looks ok. is it sleek? not in my opinion.

buying one today for my new GS.

oalvarez screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 02:47 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
I'm going to consider getting one for the new WC GS rather than the top box which I have now. Hopefully the bag will fit on the new GS rack. A friend has one on his RT and he really likes it.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I had the larger one on my RT, it was bulletproof, waterproof and held more than I could haul. I sold it when I got the GSA but I wish I had it back.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
scooterboy56
Jeff Deavers

Oddometer: 25
Softbag2-Large

I have had the large Softbag 2 for a few years now, and have used it on most of the longer trips I have takes. I have an older GS (95 R1100), and the bag works well either strapped over the passenger seat, or strapped to my rear rack. Have ridden through extended periods of rain, with no problem of contents getting wet. When strapped on the passenger seat, it makes for a decent backrest, if properly stuffed. I can honestly carry about a weeks worth of clothes,no problem, plus some other stuff such as plastic cleaner, a few tools, etc. Currently, I have all my camping gear inside, ready for the next time I have a chance to go for a weekend.

Having seen this thread, now I am curious if I might want to get the small version, and replace my tankbag. It is the original BMW one that I bought with the bike, and is starting to get just a bit shabby looking...
scooterboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Soft bag

I use rev pack for soft luggage. they have packs from short week trip size to camping with tent and sleeping bag inside. very reasonably priced and has lasted me through a few seasons. Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #29
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Interesting thread as I have been considering these bags.

Having said that, I've found using the GSA OEM pannier liner bags great - I simply use an elastic cargo net to secure to the rear - fits really well if you take off the rear seat. Never had an issue with secure mounting and never had the bag let any water in. And if empty, left under the cargo net, I don't worry about leaving it on the bike.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
evilman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I have a softbag!
evilman is offline   Reply With Quote