Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

Oddometer: 40
Barcelona, Spain April 2012

Hey.

Will be renting a R12GS for four days (April 26-30) in Barcelona. Looking to plan a loop that starts and ends in Barcelona. Flying a little blind here, my first trip to Spain. Good news is that I speak fluent Spanish. General objectives:

• Motorcycle Roads
  • Stay away from big cities
  • Some coast, some inland
Any suggestions from inmates is appreciated before I start mapping something out on Bing.

Lou

Skedaddle screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 04:27 PM Reason: typo
Skedaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Just north of Barcelona at Ripoli is the popular N152 that connects to the twisty N260, which you can take west all the way to Sabinanigo. It puts you in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Or you can take N152 to Bourg-Madame then the N20 into France and down to Foix. Then ride from Foix east on the D117, then the D118 at Axat where you can turn south for the return to Barcelona. Some peeps are tempted to go to Andorra but I discourage that because the traffic through Andorra is murderous, one road only. The coast is awfully crowded, one little town after another.

I'd link you to a vid I did of the N260, but if I did some dick who rides a Duc like an old lady and thinks his lean angles are something wonderful would high-jack this thread.

RTLover screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 04:37 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
BuckRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Well - you can't go wrong in any direction. Traffic isn't bad like it is here in the states, you just need to be cautious of the scooters (passing on your right) and pedestrians in the cities, and buses...lots of buses...

You can pick any "touristy" destination (Granada, Sevilla, etc...) and go. Once you are 5 miles outside any city it is generally rural. You should maps of all the old Paradors and Cathedrals. This time of year I would check out the "sights" near the Sierras. It is very easy to avoid the "highways" in most parts of Spain. Old Roman ruins along the coasts and mountains are pretty amazing as are the roads to get to most of them. The old Moorish and Arabic sites are also must see's......well, you're not going to have enough time to see more than one or two (at most) if the ride is the reason.....get yourself a GPS and enjoy.

I haven't been in a few years, but I understand that Spain has been busy improving a lot of roads in the past few years. In fact you might want to check out the BMW MOA website for back issues of their magazine articles - I seem to recall a couple of ride reports from Spain in the past two years or so.

I hope you budgeted a night or two for Barcelona...one of my favorite cities, if you get out with the locals, you'll probably like it a lot too...well, unless you hate good food, architecture, drinks and pretty women....

Current Rides:
F650GS Dakar
400 EXC
BuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
North of Barcelona is a pleasant town on the Med. called Cadaques. The interesting home of Salvador Dali is in a little adjacent town, Port Lligat. It's open for tours, but you have to reserve. The big Dali Museum is in nearby Figueras. The coast road going north out of Cadaques is lightly traveled and a real treat all the way to Collioure, France, where the coast abruptly becomes flat. Go west from Collioure, and pretty soon you're in the Pyrenees.

As previously stated, Barcelona is a wonderful city.

Otherguy screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 03:45 AM
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

Appreciate all the responses. The front end of my trip is 5 days in Barcelona, mostly business but I will have some time to explore. I'll post some pictures when I get back.

Luis
Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 913
Tell me how many kms you want to do per day. Cultural pitstops along the way?

There are many roads and places worth a visit, not only the typical pirenaic ones.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Jon_Garfio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Hi, if you have any question, please tell me.
If you want to get a free motor guide, is posible that I help you, We can road together one day, ok?

good trip!!
Jon_Garfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

I'll probably target about 400KM per day. Mostly interested in great roads and small towns, cultural pit stops would be nice but not my focus. I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
Tell me how many kms you want to do per day. Cultural pitstops along the way?

There are many roads and places worth a visit, not only the typical pirenaic ones.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

Gracias Jon:

Te mandare un IM cuande este en Barcelona.

Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Garfio View Post
Hi, if you have any question, please tell me.
If you want to get a free motor guide, is posible that I help you, We can road together one day, ok?

good trip!!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skedaddle View Post
I'll probably target about 400KM per day. Mostly interested in great roads and small towns, cultural pit stops would be nice but not my focus. I

That sounds like a nice plan.

OK, this is my proposal. I believe that nobody who likes to ride a bike, who likes nice roads, who likes nice views will ever dislike this. On the other hand, people who prefer straights will hate it

Day 1. 437kms. "Goodbye Barcelona, Hello bikers heaven"
LINK

You will pass through several world heritage sites, pintoresque towns, medieval castles, cross Spain's biggest river on a barge without engines and most important, all of this places being connected by roads that are used every year to host the World Rally Championship. The day ends in one of the most important fishing ports of Spain's Mediterranean Coast. The rice, fish and seafood here is fresh, cheap and local. I'm salivating now.

Day 2. 443kms. "From the Mediterranean to the Pyrenees."
LINK

You will start this second day in heaven by crossing endless rice fields, then re-entering the coastal mountains on another menu of world rally sections. After that you will be allowed to recover and assimilate so much fun in more relaxed roads for some kms until you try some tasty delicatessen-tarmacks, but before that YOU HAVE TO make a pit-stop in the Basella Motorcycle Museum. Close after Basella museum your bike and you will enjoy another sweet session of panoramic roads to the finish line in Vielha, in the centre of the Pyrenees.

Day 3. 384kms "The Green day."
LINK

If you want to ride an easy non paved road change what the link says right at the beginning. Between Beret and Alós d'Isil there's that trail you cannot miss. It's not paved but you could ride on any bike, so do it! (follow A-B-C-D to do that trail link).
The green Pyrenaic mountains will steal your atention from the yet again sinful roads as you cross some high passes, some faster than others, and allong the way, beautyfull villages like Sant Llorenç, Tuixent or Gosol, where Picasso liked to paint the great mountain of Pedrafroca, then Castellar de n'Hug and Ripoll, but the nicest of them all at the end of the day at the unique medieval town of Besalú.

Day 4. 382kms "Mediterranean blue."
LINK

Leave the city walls of Besalú behind and if you want, make a stop at Salvador Dalí's Museum in Figueres. Then see how the Pyrenees dive into the Mediterranean at the Creus Cape, easternmost point of Spain. Then turn south, and after some liaison and some more nice bends you will reach Sant Feliu de Guixols, where a very special road starts. It's called "The Year" because some say it has 365 corners in 25kms. All I can say after having ridden it many times is that it has 365 corners, at least!
After enjoying the castle at Tossa, you will go inland for another session of green mountains and nice roads, just to finally rejoin the Mediterranean before you do the final stretch until Barcelona city.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Vander - you are the man

This is exactly what I was looking for!!!
Fantastic itinerary!

Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

Woo Hoo!

Vander es el hombre! This is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
xavier296
Alaska Planner

Oddometer: 284
Skedaddle, do us all a favor and post up lots of info and pics when you complete your trip! and during if possible.

My father and I are heading to Barcelona on 14May also for a ride. I am coming in on a ferry from Naples, Italy with my bike and he is flying in from the states. He is then renting a motorcycle for 8 days. Your experiences will be invaluable to our trip planning!

Neither of us speak much spanish, but my time in Italy has shown that my lack of language skills is no excuse to not get out in the world and explore. A smile and an open mind go far.
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

I plan on doing a trip report but it will be uploaded after I get back home. Looking forward to sharing my experiences with the inmates.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Skedaddle OP
just call me Lou

4 days , 1300 KM

Back home after a great 9 day trip to catalonia, four of which were spent on a bike. Thanks to Vander who provided the foundation for my itinerary. IMTBike guys were great and the 2012 R12GS ran like a 2012 R12 GS.

Plan on doing a trip report but it will be a few weeks. Below is a teaser pic:

Lou

Skedaddle screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 08:27 AM Reason: typo, photo linked