User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Using GPS as a speedometer

The speedometer on my R80ST does not work anymore. Has anyone use GPS as a speedometer? Is there a GPS model that can be programmed to show the speedometer every time the power is connected? My Garmin has an electronic speedometer page but it take few key strokes to find it.

Thanks,

SIG
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Joevano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Both my Nuvi 550 and Montana 650 can have the speedo up at all times. Which one do you have?
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,337
I've got three different Garmin gps's in use and all of them show real time speed all the time. I usually refer to the gps for acurately monitoring speed as all but one of our vehicles has an optimistic speedometer.

Look through your owner's manual and I bet you'll discover you can display real-time speed on your map view.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,265
I use the GPS speed function almost exclusively. The display is large and easier to interpret at a quick glance than the speedometer. My Garmin unit has a customizable display that allows you to post the speed on the home, or map, page. Maybe yours, too?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,265
I'm going to have to work on my typing speed.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,872
I have an ancient Streetpilot 2720 that I can choose to show speedo info. Its works well enough to be a speedo and an odo.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
fawudd
Traveler

Oddometer: 105
My Nuvi displays speed on the map page and can also show a page dedicated to speed, avg, etc in one touch. Not sure if you can make it boot up that way, but with one touch you can be there. Cheers

fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,653
I'm using my 60CSX as a speedo and odo right now as my IMO is in Germany being repaired. It really works quite well, biggest pain for me is removing it from the bike....now I just shove it in my tank bag with the cord still plugged in.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 650
I use a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 as a speedo on my R80RT, you can set up the map page to show speed or do a page button push every time you power up to bring up the speedometer odometer trip meter page
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
I have a Garmin 76cx that doesn't calculate speed fast enough for my liking to use as a speedo. It lags a few seconds between speed changes. So if you have one that doesn't do this go for it. If you are buying one beware.

Like this: dropping from 55 into a 35 zone. GPS lags, shows 30, gas a bit, lag, now shows 45. Revenue hungry cop in broke ass WA lights you up for your safety.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,958
I used a Garmin 276C for years. This was a very expensive GPS unit but I bought it years ago. It was slow to update the speedo function, as others have said. But I always thought it was more accurate than any of my vehicle speedometers. So I could notice the difference between my GPS and speedo by maintaining a constant speed for awhile and therefore even though the GPS was slow I still was able to use that info as a correction. The difference was really so small it was not all that much a big deal. 1 mph at 50 and 2 mph at 85.

What is a different story is using the GPS as a stand alone speedometer. It can be done but you will have to use a strong dose of common sense to make it work. That is if the unit you get is slow like mine was.

I don't know if they are all slow, I think they are.

That unit, the 276C has been broken for several years. I now have a Galaxy Tablet that is not really a GPS unit but I think it operates the maps function off cell towers, because it is a phone. The Galaxy doesn't have a mph anywhere in it's functions.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
istephens
FJRian

Oddometer: 116
Zumo 550 Speedo Page

On my FJR I almost always use the Zumo 550 instead of the dash speedo. I can see it easier on the GPS.

I have it mounted in the centre of the handlebars:

(the black think sticking up in front of the Zumo's screen is the antenna on my radio)

I usually have the Zumo on the speedometer page when just riding around town, otherwise it's on the map page which also shows the speed. Switching between pages is a simple push of a button on the left side of the unit.

I have noticed that there's a bit of a lag between the speed indicated on the GPS and the real speed, but its never been enough to cause any problems at all. If you want to ride at the speed limit, just accelerate till the GPS shows the desired speed, then back off a bit. When I'm riding with another bike and I'm in trail, I usually don't care what the speed is as long as I keep the right distance between me and the bike in front.

Ian
2008 VStrom DL1000 Silver/Black

istephens screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 12:16 PM Reason: Added another comment
istephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,482
The Trailtech Vapor speedo/tach works well, and comes with an odometer and numerous functions for not a lot of money. It's not a GPS, but a replacement dash for far less than Bring My Wallet will charge. They also make one with a GPS, but it's really not worth the extra money.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
I don’t think my airhead accelerates fast enough for lag to be a problem.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote