User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Alaskatundraman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Best Motorcycle for Alaska?

Hey Guys, just thought I would create a fun thread on Alaska Rider's! So, if you have ridden in Alaska, what do you, think is the best motorcycle in Alaska? I currently ride a 1995 Honda Magna. I would post a pic of my Baby, not sure how to post a pic of her.

I am looking at either the S10 or the Versys1000 or 650. Thoughts?
Alaskatundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
An FJR Yamaha. They'll melt anything from your path and keep you warm.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
What's your budget and what kind of riding do you want to do?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
A 1995 Honda Magna would be the best....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskatundraman View Post
... I currently ride a 1995 Honda Magna. .... Thoughts?
What's wrong with the bike you have?
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskatundraman View Post
Hey Guys, just thought I would create a fun thread on Alaska Rider's! So, if you have ridden in Alaska, what do you, think is the best motorcycle in Alaska? I currently ride a 1995 Honda Magna. I would post a pic of my Baby, not sure how to post a pic of her.

I am looking at either the S10 or the Versys1000 or 650. Thoughts?
Are you interested in just riding to Alaska or riding in Alaska. If you're interested in riding to Alaska your Magna will be fine though a big beast might be more fun on the dirt stretches. I rode the Alcan and Cassiar in 99 on my VFR and while I wished I had a more dirt road capable bike it did fine and of course it was great on the pavement. I would love to do it again on a Tiger 800. Unless you're riding two up I would prefer and 800 or 650 to liter bike. All of your choices would work well. If you plan on hitting more challenging stuff in Alaska, the bigger the bike the harder it is generally speaking.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzyck View Post
What's wrong with the bike you have?
I agree. Often the bike you've been riding IS the "best one"
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 832
Depends on the places you want to go and type of riding you plan to do. Most bikes here are GSs and KLRs. If you're riding around Bareflanks (town and trails), a good thumper will do ya. Check into KLR, DR, DRZ, 650GS (G or F model) - these bikes will also get you down the road on the highway. The Yamaha WR250R is a light trail bike that has FI so it can do more highway than other bikes that size. In the bigger bikes, there are three classes of GSs out there (1100, 1150, 1200), and Triumph makes some great bikes, particularly the XC. The Tenere is relatively new but fits the niche. I don't know enough about KTMs to comment, other than some folks really love them.

Because there are a lot of them around, you can find an affordable GS here. A black 1100 showed up recently on the for sale thread in the Alaska forum. You also need to think about repair and maintenance. AkTracks operates a little shop out of his home for tires and some maintenance, you might want to pay him a visit. Also, you have a full beemer dealer there.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)

ADVBMR screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 04:50 PM
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Why do you need a new bike for Alaska?
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,519
5 posts and no one mentioned that...

..Perhaps a chat with Mr. Bigwheel is in order

LINK

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,530
The ideal bike would probably be a BMW GS, or if you are on a budget, a KLR650. The last (and only) time I have been to Alaska, all the way to Prudhoe Bay, was in 1981. I went with 2 other guys in a 2/4 ton Ford cargo van, with modified suspension and all terrain tires. Everything in Alaska costs 10 times as much as it does anywhere else in the U.S., so we had the van overloaded with food and other necessities. We also had 2 spare tires, and a kerosene heater. We slept in the van, because we could not afford accommodations. The trip there and back from Phoenix, AZ took almost 2 months. While some of it wasn't that bad, some sections of the Dalton and Dempster highways were deep thick mud, and some were solid ice. There are bear on these roads, one reason for the windowless cargo van.

However, things have apparently changed. I recently watched a video of a guy who rode a Ninja 250 to Prudhoe Bay and back. I would not try it, but then I probably wouldn't try it on any kind of motorcycle at my age (53) and in my condition. You can't carry much on a motorcycle, and a motorcycles charging system rarely puts out enough power to use an electric suit. The biggest danger, besides bear, and being stranded in the middle of nowhere, is freezing to death.

I may be going overboard with some of this, as my only experience in Alaska was 3 decades ago. I'm sure the roads are better, but the weather will still be the same, and then there are the bears....
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,025
There were still plenty of bears and moose in 99. The temps were in the low 40s when I rode from Fairbanks to anchorage. Made me second guess the purchase of a perforated jacket on the first day of the trip. I bought a windbreaker and sweatshirt as I was riding up the alcan.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
A sailor buddy of mine got this advice when he was shopping for a boat to sail to the Caribbean. Sail what you own, and do it today. He's still somewhere off Bimini......I'm still shovelling snow.....
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
RForestR
In the Woods

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Why do you need a new bike for Alaska?
+100

Go with what you know...you'll know when to press the bike, and when not to.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I agree. Trying to pick an "Alaska" bike or something northern will drive you nuts. I ride a KLR, but that is what I have and like. Don't forget (check out the old picture threads), the original AdvRider bikes were Harleys and they took them to some pretty amazing places well before there were forums discussing which bike is best...

The first bike on the Dempster to Inuvik back in the 70's was a Moped ridden all the way from Toronto and back...
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Jon_Garfio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76

ji,ji
Jon_Garfio is offline   Reply With Quote