User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
JayDee24ca OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Nylon touring pants

The type of touring outer wear has changed dramatically over the years I have been riding, but I haven't made the shift yet from jeans and rain pants to the ballisitic nylon types being worn today. I'd like to try a set of the newer style, but don't know where to start. Are most of the touring type nylon pants worn over top of jeans, or are they worn instead of normal pants? I've been looking at a set of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, but don't know if they are simply outer wear or what. Does a guy just wear a pair of longjohns under them, the way I always have with my jeans? I have a hard time imagining wearing long john, then jeans, then the nylon drawers and maybe when it rains, a rain suit over top of the whole shebang! Can someone please advise? If it makes any differnence, my riding is primarily in Northern Canada, like average summer temperatures in the 70's.
Thanks!!
JD
JayDee24ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
I just bought an Olymia Jacket (in Canada) and will probably pick up the pants.
The riding pants have a mess outer with a removable inner rain liner. These will be adequate for summer wear.
I also use a Ryno Pant, which is no longer available, that has a quilted liner for cold weather. Both pairs of pants have armour.
The only time I wear jeans is when I am wearing chaps.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 745
I have the Olympia air glides, for a few years now. They have some mesh in the upper thigh area. They zip up on both legs on the outside so you can just put them on without taking your boots off. They have a waterproof and warm liner that you can put on underneath.

I wear jeans under them for local riding and work cloths/pants when commuting.

For long trips, I don't wear jeans, but pants that don't absorb moisture. I have some synthetic material pants that you can make into shorts and find these are best for touring. Moisture mixed with cotton is a rider's nightmare for long runs.

Once you get to where you are going you just take them off and walk around in jeans. If you only have long johns/tights on then you have to keep walking in the heavy outfit.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
I have some Joe Rocket Alter ego pants that I've had for years. It probably depends on weather conditions as to what I wear under them. I have taken out the waterproof liner and never used it.
Cool temps probably mean jeans, really cool, jeans and thermals, and hot weather synthetic sport shorts and then the pants. I wear a rain suit over top if riding in the rain.
If I stop for a long time to walk around and it's hot (shorts under) I stop in a bathroom someplace, take of the riding gear and put on other pants.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,046
I also ride in olympia airglides and rangers. In summer I wear lightweight running shorts under the airglides as its hot and humid in my part of US. I can wear jeans under them but a bit tight, they are not really meant to be overpants unless you go up a size. Under the rangers in winter I wear thermals with or without the liner. If I were commuting in either I guess I'd go up a size to wear my daily pants under them.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
buy 'em a lot longer in the leg than you think...nothing like too short of pants you just paid hundred$ for ...
a touch larger in the seat and waist since adding layers is critical.

by the way, i have the BMW rally 2 and like 'em, alot.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
JayDee24ca OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks! So I guess i order one size larger than my normal 36 waist 36 leg, to accommodate the wearing of a pair of jeans underneath. I've been riding since 1968, and just never saw a need to get any fancy duds like these, nor had any desire to be "stylish"; jeans and longjohns always worked for me.
I bought a Joe Rocket jacket last fall, on a clearance deal. THis is the first time I have not worn a leather coat, also the first time I have "armour". I'm amazed at how essential everyone thinks it is.
Thanks for your input; I think I'll order a set of the JR drawers tonight.
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
I have some Joe Rocket Alter ego pants that I've had for years. It probably depends on weather conditions as to what I wear under them. I have taken out the waterproof liner and never used it.
Cool temps probably mean jeans, really cool, jeans and thermals, and hot weather synthetic sport shorts and then the pants. I wear a rain suit over top if riding in the rain.
If I stop for a long time to walk around and it's hot (shorts under) I stop in a bathroom someplace, take of the riding gear and put on other pants.
JayDee24ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
This is not a recomendation to buy from here, but its worth a look, they have great pic.s of the gear, usually on their staff, great discriptions beyond what the manufacturer says and good sizing advice from them and customers trying stuff on themselves. Ive only bougt from them once, but usually look there for info.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
This is not a recomendation to buy from here, but its worth a look, they have great pic.s of the gear, usually on their staff, great discriptions beyond what the manufacturer says and good sizing advice from them and customers trying stuff on themselves. Ive only bougt from them once, but usually look there for info.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Cheers, Todd

+1 I've bought from them once as well. They know how to ship to Canada (US Postal, the only way to go!).
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
FWIW, I wear a two-piece Roadcrafter suit, aka a 'Stitch, while sport-touring. In Fall weather, pair of jeans underneath -- the ballistic nylon really cuts the wind, which is a bane in mid-July. (In that case, it's a pair of bike shorts, for long-distance comfort, and the top half of convertible pants...)

Since I don't have my DS bike (yet, I'll be shopping for a while, Harper's budget had negative impacts on my SO's job ), I haven't asked the question "what do I wear if I don't want to be in my 'stitch pants?"
Corbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 245
I read this post and gleaned some valuable info, thanks everyone.

After reviewing some online prices, I stopped in at Laval Moto in Montreal and was happy to find a pair of Icon Hooligan Mesh pants in my size, and for a very reasonable price (just $5 more than the online stores).

That's my second purchase from this store, and I am happy to report their prices are definitely competitive.
Last summer I picked up a Givi waterproof roll bag; same price as the online retailers.

Cheers

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
[QUOTE=Vikingtazz;18370899]I read this post and gleaned some valuable info, thanks everyone.

After reviewing some online prices, I stopped in at Laval Moto in Montreal and was happy to find a pair of Icon Hooligan Mesh pants in my size, and for a very reasonable price (just $5 more than the online stores).

im interested in buying the icon hooligan mesh. after a yr how are they.
lookiing for a mesh pant i can wear with short.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Aerostich AD1's.

Wear them over shorts or jeans or dress pants or long johns as the situation dictates. Waterproof, protective, great pie$e of gear.