Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #136
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Been using the US-30 on my 650R. Very nice bag, especially in the summer as it takes the pack off my back and allows more heat to escape through the back of my jacket. Anyway, what can you fit inside the Kube Pocket? I'm hoping I can fit an HTC Thunderbolt, leather wallet and a key card/ keys.
OK, so it's not an HTC and you may notice that my billfold is on the slim side , but here's a phone, wallet and set of keys...

.. And here they are in a Kube Pocket, with plenty of room to spare.

A wider wallet may be a bit of a tight fit but I tend to not bother with one any way and just take cash and one card in the Kube Pocket, so I don't have to take my gloves off to use anything in there.

Hope that helps!

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #137
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post
Wow, never thought of an additional strap catching, good point. Was thinking something like a big cotter pin and clevis through eyelet and side panel or something on the bottom edge. That is how I have somewhat tamed the Ortlieb flop.

thanks
john
Well-thought through MacGyvers are always an option for extremely difficult bikes, but they really shouldn't be necessary. The Ortleibs fit in an entirely different way to how the Overlanders will. And the Overlanders were developed to address precisely the type of issue inherent to regular 'throw-over' style panniers, such as vertical 'flop'.

If - for some reason - you can't get the fit you want, you can always return the unused bags for a full refund. I doubt very much it'll come to that, but hopefully it takes some of the pressure off.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #138
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
OK, so it's not an HTC and you may notice that my billfold is on the slim side , but here's a phone, wallet and set of keys...

.. And here they are in a Kube Pocket, with plenty of room to spare.

A wider wallet may be a bit of a tight fit but I tend to not bother with one any way and just take cash and one card in the Kube Pocket, so I don't have to take my gloves off to use anything in there.

Hope that helps!

Michael

Awesome! That'll work perfectly for my daily carry items. I carry about the same amount including chapstick and a key card for the office. The production pics of the pouch make it look very small to me.

Thanks a lot!

Btw, would you feel safe having your phone in there during a downpour, or would you recommend a ziploc bag we well?
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #139
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Btw, would you feel safe having your phone in there during a downpour, or would you recommend a ziploc bag we well?
Ziploc for sure.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #140
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Ziploc for sure.
Yeah - the materials used are highly water resistant and the covered zipper is what many manufacturers would class as 'waterproof', but it's not guaranteed, so better safe than sorry if you know it's going to rain.

BritKit LLC
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #141
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Yeah - the materials used are highly water resistant and the covered zipper is what many manufacturers would class as 'waterproof', but it's not guaranteed, so better safe than sorry if you know it's going to rain.
Agreed. The Kube keeps most dust and most water out. But if you end up in a serious downpour some water will get in.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #142
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Pack Sizing Questions

Thanks for the help!

I'm 5'6" tall and 160lbs. I have a stocky and athletic build like a wrestler. I've read some places that I will have trouble fitting the larger Kriega packs. I'd like to order an R30 or R35 at some point for commuting purposes. I always wear a jacket with back pad, shoulder and elbow armor. What's the deal with this sizing rumor I've heard about? Can you cinch it down tight enough to fit a small fry like me?
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #143
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Thanks for the help!

I'm 5'6" tall and 160lbs. I have a stocky and athletic build like a wrestler. I've read some places that I will have trouble fitting the larger Kriega packs. I'd like to order an R30 or R35 at some point for commuting purposes. I always wear a jacket with back pad, shoulder and elbow armor. What's the deal with this sizing rumor I've heard about? Can you cinch it down tight enough to fit a small fry like me?
Hey Wool,

You shouldn't have any issues with our packs, but it is advisable to go for the smallest one you feel can handle the job. The R35 is a deceptively large beast (35 liter capacity) and so I would suggest that you look at the R30 or smaller.

The R25 is our best-selling pack because it is such a great all-rounder and is the perfect size for the kind of gear you need to tote day-to-day. It's also not as long as the 35 or 30 and so is less likely to contact with your rear seat if you have a machine with an upright riding position.

If you'd like to PM me a contact number, I'll be more than happy to call and learn more about your specific requirements, so that we can get the ideal pack for you, your bike and your kind of riding.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #144
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Agreed. The Kube keeps most dust and most water out. But if you end up in a serious downpour some water will get in.
Another +1 for this. It'll take a short light shower without getting the internals wet. But more than that and you're looking at damp innards.

When on a pack strap it's out front catching anything falling from the sky pretty directly

The Kube is very handy for at hand items - phone, ear plugs, cash etc. I love mine - but if you expect to be in the wet do bring a baggy.
yuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #145
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 948
I just bought the Rack Loops to attach a US-5 (toolkit inside) to my 'berg rear fender. They do look sweet and they seem well-made. However, they definitely don't hold the bag snug to the fender. I'm a little worried that the slack (maybe 3/8") is going to cause a malfunction when riding through whoops/bumps. I may attach a third strap which is bolted to the fender and allows no movement at all- just for some extra safety.
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #146
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
I just bought the Rack Loops to attach a US-5 (toolkit inside) to my 'berg rear fender. They do look sweet and they seem well-made. However, they definitely don't hold the bag snug to the fender. I'm a little worried that the slack (maybe 3/8") is going to cause a malfunction when riding through whoops/bumps. I may attach a third strap which is bolted to the fender and allows no movement at all- just for some extra safety.
Hi broadwayron,

That definitely shouldn't be the case. Any chance you could post some photos of your installation? From those, we should be able to get a rock solid set-up. Also, the US-5 (which us designed to be a bolt-on fender pack, rather than a tail pack, like the rest of the US range) really requires a set of our cam straps to fit perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 10:47 AM
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #147
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 948
I'm actually going to use one of your cam straps to make the third strap I was talking about.
For the other 2 straps, I used NRS straps- those things are pretty indestructible, and I've got the US-5 packed to the max (and it's kinda heavy).

(In hindsight, I'm thinking maybe I have the Loops too close together... maybe there needs to be zero slack. But then, the pack would be suspended above the fender, maybe 1/8" or so?)

Edit: I just added the third strap between the Loops. Honestly, the reason I didn't use the 2 cam straps that came with the US-5 is the bolt holes were so small, I didn't trust that [skinny] size bolt to hold the bag. Plus, I wasn't too confident in the plastic cams. But, I think the way I have it now is pretty solid.

JustRon screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 04:09 PM
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #148
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
I'm actually going to use one of your cam straps to make the third strap I was talking about.
For the other 2 straps, I used NRS straps- those things are pretty indestructible, and I've got the US-5 packed to the max (and it's kinda heavy).

(In hindsight, I'm thinking maybe I have the Loops too close together... maybe there needs to be zero slack. But then, the pack would be suspended above the fender, maybe 1/8" or so?)

Edit: I just added the third strap between the Loops. Honestly, the reason I didn't use the 2 cam straps that came with the US-5 is the bolt holes were so small, I didn't trust that [skinny] size bolt to hold the bag. Plus, I wasn't too confident in the plastic cams. But, I think the way I have it now is pretty solid.

Fair play, mate. However, the US-5 straps are heavy duty webbing, reinforced with Rhinotek material and stainless eyelets, while the buckles are the highest grade Acetal resin, which is designed not to crack, fatigue or react to UV or chemicals etc or wear out. So, you can be confident that it'll stay put, no matter what, when bolted directly onto a fender. All it needs is a little threadlock and over-sized washers and you you're good to go. So much so, that that I have never heard of a single one failing.

To attach a US-5 to Rack Loops, any appropriately sized set of straps should be fine. The straps supplied as standard with the US-5 can be too short to use when the Rack Loops are configured for use with a Overlander 30. When fitted only for attaching tail packs, the Rack Loops should be positioned to ensure a solid fit with no slack / movement or lift.

Images of the ideal fitment using the US-5 with replacement cam straps and Rack Loops can be found here: http://www.kriega.us/rack-loop-endur...uggage-mounts/. That said, if you're happy with your current fitment, then that's great. But please do feel free to PM a phone number, if you'd like me to call and go through the options with you in more detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #149
traveltoad
Aaron S

Good info Michael.