User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #151
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 620
Overland 60

Anyone with the Overland 60 set-up that would like to share some pics?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #152
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Ok... so.... how to fit the Overlander30 onto a small bike.

First of all, this was a good time to play with the rack loops. I have a new rear fender to install... so even if I end up turning my fender into swiss cheese... it's no problem!

So, drill in hand, time to START DRILLING!

But... hmmm.... this is pretty easy. I know that I want one set of loops forward and low on the fender. So looking at the contours of my rear fender (2001 KTM 400) there really is only one place to mount them. Then place a US10 on the fender lined up with the front rack loops... and well... mount the rear loops. Pretty damn easy.

The other holes on the top area of the fender are from the old tail light/inner fender and the new tail light/inner fender, not from the rack loop install.

I mounted each set of the Rack Loops (front and rear) centered from the lower edge of the fender to the body line. Aesthetically they look a bit uneven, so I will try them mounted an equal distance from the lower edge to see how that looks. (I don't know if that makes any sense.

So really, with a little thought and careful drilling, this is a quick and easy install. But will the Overlander30 fit?

Crossing to the rear Rack Loops:

and Bob's your Uncle!

My only concern is on the left side. I am not sure if the plastic side panel will support the bag. It doesn't seem to put much of any pressure on the side panel... but you never know.

Just for giggles I tried to cross at the forward Rack loops, but it was too close to the forward mounts and the bags sat very high and forward.

I realized that a set of US Alloy Hook Straps or Cam Straps is required to properly mount a US5 or US10 onto the Rack Loops, so I will order those from Michael on Monday. In the meantime I placed the US10 on the fender where the bag should sit once secured with the correct hardware.

When I remounted the Overlander30 bags I moved them one hook forward.

Seems better, but I will have to ride the bike to be sure.

And then a couple photos of the Overlander30 and the US10... which is WAY more stuff than I ever plan to carry on the little 400...

None of the bags were stuffed full for these photos, so a full bag will be bigger.

Edit: New fender with the Rack Loops repositioned slightly to be even from the lower edge.

traveltoad screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 05:33 PM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #153
traveltoad
Aaron S

Question for you Michael...

I see these straps, which appear to have a hook at one end and a quick release buckle at the other end.

However, the US Bag Ally Hook Straps seem to be different. Or does it include a quick release buckle?

I think I want what is in the first photo... or do I?

traveltoad screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 05:31 PM
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #154
traveltoad
Aaron S

Another question for you Michael,

In this photo:

Are the US5 bag straps bolted to the bikes side panels or fitted another way?

Thanks,
A
Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #155
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Another question for you Michael,

In this photo:

Are the US5 bag straps bolted to the bikes side panels or fitted another way?

Thanks,
A
Those would be drilled and bolted on, Aaron.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #156
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Question for you Michael...

I see these straps, which appear to have a hook at one end and a quick release buckle at the other end.

However, the US Bag Ally Hook Straps seem to be different. Or does it include a quick release buckle?

I think I want what is in the first photo... or do I?
Hey Aaron,

Those are the same straps just used in slightly different ways. Our Alloy Hook Straps are made up eight components - 4 x straps with a male QR clip on one end and an alloy hook on the other, plus 4 x web loops (the alloy hook is threaded through one of these in the image above). The web loops are used to make a mounting point on the subframe beneath the seat on street bikes. The subframe web loops aren't required when using these straps on dirt bikes with Rack Loops because the alloy hooks attach directly to Rack Loops

Each set of Alloy Hook Straps comes with everything you need for either application.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #157
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Ok... so.... how to fit the Overlander30 onto a small bike.

First of all, this was a good time to play with the rack loops. I have a new rear fender to install... so even if I end up turning my fender into swiss cheese... it's no problem!

So, drill in hand, time to START DRILLING!

But... hmmm.... this is pretty easy. I know that I want one set of loops forward and low on the fender. So looking at the contours of my rear fender (2001 KTM 400) there really is only one place to mount them. Then place a US10 on the fender lined up with the front rack loops... and well... mount the rear loops. Pretty damn easy.

The other holes on the top area of the fender are from the old tail light/inner fender and the new tail light/inner fender, not from the rack loop install.

I mounted each set of the Rack Loops (front and rear) centered from the lower edge of the fender to the body line. Aesthetically they look a bit uneven, so I will try them mounted an equal distance from the lower edge to see how that looks. (I don't know if that makes any sense.

So really, with a little thought and careful drilling, this is a quick and easy install. But will the Overlander30 fit?

Crossing to the rear Rack Loops:

and Bob's your Uncle!

My only concern is on the left side. I am not sure if the plastic side panel will support the bag. It doesn't seem to put much of any pressure on the side panel... but you never know.

Just for giggles I tried to cross at the forward Rack loops, but it was too close to the forward mounts and the bags sat very high and forward.

I realized that a set of US Alloy Hook Straps or Cam Straps is required to properly mount a US5 or US10 onto the Rack Loops, so I will order those from Michael on Monday. In the meantime I placed the US10 on the fender where the bag should sit once secured with the correct hardware.

When I remounted the Overlander30 bags I moved them one hook forward.

Seems better, but I will have to ride the bike to be sure.

And then a couple photos of the Overlander30 and the US10... which is WAY more stuff than I ever plan to carry on the little 400...

None of the bags were stuffed full for these photos, so a full bag will be bigger.

Edit: New fender with the Rack Loops repositioned slightly to be even from the lower edge.
Looks like a textbook installation to me, mate!

Technically, you don't *really* need Alloy Hook Straps to mount the US-10 (you could just thread the compression straps through the Rack Loops), but they are a decent upgrade which makes attaching the removing the tail pack a lot easier and tidier.

And I wouldn't worry about that left side panel to much either - it should be more than up to the job.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #158
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Anyone with the Overland 60 set-up that would like to share some pics?
Hey mode,

We've got some official shots and also a few snaps from our R&D rides. There's a quite a few sets out there now (I know there's a few folks from here due to head out on some long-range rides with them pretty soon), so hopefully more candid photos will start cropping up very shortly.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #159
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Overland 60

Ok, so the overland 60 looks like the best deal going. However, I've got the wolfman racks and really like their size, shape etc. The question is, could I use the hard bag mounting kit as well as the other mounting kit with my wolfman racks. If so this would make the perfect set up.
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #160
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heathen View Post
Ok, so the overland 60 looks like the best deal going. However, I've got the wolfman racks and really like their size, shape etc. The question is, could I use the hard bag mounting kit as well as the other mounting kit with my wolfman racks. If so this would make the perfect set up.
Hi Heathen,

Glad you like the looks of the Overlander 60. However, Wolfman racks are quite an unusual shape and - as far as I know - are only suited to the same brand of bags, so unfortunately, they will not accept Kriega platforms.

At the moment, the Overlander 60 has been designed to fit standard shaped 18mm frames from Touratech, Metal Mule and KTM Powerparts. There is a little more tolerance built in, but any other frames will need to be within around 10mm of the dimensions of those models just mentioned.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #161
traveltoad
Aaron S

So with my new US Alloy Hook Straps in hand it was time to fit a few bags just to see how they look.

The straps themselves look and feel fantastic, are easy to use and seem very secure.

Even with the narrow rear fender of a single the US10 could go either way.

The US20 can go either way... but seems more natural across the tail section rather than in line with it.

In case you thought Rack Loops only work with Kriega bags... they are very versatile and do work with other make bags as well.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #162
darlingbastard
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Overland 60 Questions

I'm interested in the Overland 60 but don't ride KTM.

The Kriega website lists the Overland 60/Adventure Platform as compatible with "standard" 18mm racks such as "Metal Mule, Touratech and KTM power parts". Of those three only Touratech is generally available in the USA for non KTM bikes. Is this really the ONLY rack I can use? There is very little information that I can find on compatible racks beyond the three mentioned and Touratech is not standard over here (most pannier manufacturers here provide mounts/adapters for GIVI, SW-Motech, Hepco+Becker etc...)

Is anyone aware of any racks other than Touratech I can use in the USA? I'm asking because at 50% of the price for the overland 60 setup I would prefer a rack that works with a larger variety of luggage.
darlingbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #163
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbastard View Post
I'm interested in the Overland 60 but don't ride KTM.

The Kriega website lists the Overland 60/Adventure Platform as compatible with "standard" 18mm racks such as "Metal Mule, Touratech and KTM power parts". Of those three only Touratech is generally available in the USA for non KTM bikes. Is this really the ONLY rack I can use? There is very little information that I can find on compatible racks beyond the three mentioned and Touratech is not standard over here (most pannier manufacturers here provide mounts/adapters for GIVI, SW-Motech, Hepco+Becker etc...)

Is anyone aware of any racks other than Touratech I can use in the USA? I'm asking because at 50% of the price for the overland 60 setup I would prefer a rack that works with a larger variety of luggage.
Hello darling,

By 'standard', it actually means 'standard shape', as opposed to 'standard issue'. This is to distinguish the dimensions of the traditional 18mm D-hoop style frames from ones such as the Touratech Special Sets for GSAs etc, which have an unusual 'stepped' construction, to accommodate the exhaust end-can on that bike.

Each rack manufacturer tends to have a proprietary design / mounting system which can limit which cases can be used with it. So, for this initial batch, Kriega opted to go with the most popular brand, which has the greatest amount of cross-over with other brands, so that the most people had the opportunity to fit the Overlander 60.

The chaps back in the UK are however working on establishing which other brands the system might fit, as well as alternative mounts for SW and H+B (GIVI is not really in the serious Dual Sport market, so it is unlikely a system compatible with their racks will be developed), which are even more prevalent in the US. However, at the moment, I am currently only able to confirm that Touratech, Metal Mule and KTM Power Parts are guaranteed to work. But I will update this should any further information be forthcoming.

In the meantime, Touratech parts are freely available from countless outlets, while Metal Mule can be ordered here: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-145-frames.aspx.

Should you opt for one of these brands and wish to attach aluminum cases from another brand, such as SW Motech or H+B, the ALP platform (http://www.kriega.us/alp-adventure-d...nier-platform/) will generally facilitate this. If you wish to use an alternative brand of soft luggage, it is probably best to choose your favorite and go with the rack that best suits them (9 times out of 10 will be the same brand as the bags, for the reason mentioned above).

I hope that helps, but please do not hesitate to post or call me on 504.872.9367 should you require any further detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 02:41 PM
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #164
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 256
PM Sent

PM sent re ship code.
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #165
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I just came back from a 1700 mile trip of which only a few hundred miles were paved, the rest was gravel and ATV trails. Lots of opportunities for my Overlander 30 setup to show it's weaknesses if they have any. I was extremely happy with the way these bags performed. As you can see in the pics, I was using some NRS straps to hold down the rear bags (a K20 and a K10) on the tail. This was due to a lack of time to get the new mounts set up on my rear fender.

I can't say enough about how the bags performed. My biggest concern had been that I would have thought the bags would have rolled front to rear due to the single mounting point at bottom. It did NOT happen. These things are rock solid through even the most rugged terrain. This bag setup on my 690 makes for a phenomenal light touring setup. I now have a bike that I can ride all day, will haul butt on black top (when needed) and damn near feels as light as my 450 'Berg when I'm tossing down the single track.

This is the alternative.....
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote