Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #211
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Thanks for the reply Michael.............I'll go over what you have suggested and drop you a pm once I am closer to knowing what I want.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #212
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Any reports, TravelToad?
One reason I am interested is that you have the same ProMoto Billet rack on your bike as I do on my 640.

Cheers
The short version is that they work really well and I liked them a lot.... As I mentioned somewhere in an earlier post, because they are so adjustable they can be a tad fussy at first. Once you get them sorted they are actually quite easy. I really liked how low and forward they carry the weight rather than way off the back or up high on top of the bike. Their rectangular shape makes them super easy to pack. The hook system makes it a breeze to put them on and take them off (once you sort the initial fittling part). My only (very) nit picky complaints... They are a bit bigger than I really need (I tend to travel pretty light) and I wish they were more along the lines of 10L per side with that reduced size making them narrower (although they really aren't much if any wider than my legs on the bike). I wish the fastex style bucket that goes over the roll top could be cinched a bit tighter so that when the bag is not full (remember I travel light) I can pull the top of the bag in a bit tighter. It is really only an "issue" (if you can call it that) if the bag is half full or less.

But, I mean.... come on.... this is the "best" I could come up with for complaints. Both are as much personal style than actual function. Neither is really worth mentioning, but you know how it is... I'm an Adventure Rider, so I have to complain about things while hanging out at the coffee shop.

I am normally one of those guys that needs a couple trips to have a bag system feel "right". The Overlander 30 had that "right" feeling from the start. Sure I fiddled with the mounting a bit along that first trip but it was fine tuning the sytem, never because the Overlander bags felt in the way or awkward.

I am going to Mexico with them this coming weekend where I should be able to beat them up a bit more.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #213
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
One reason I am interested is that you have the same ProMoto Billet rack on your bike as I do on my 640.
I don't really use the rack for the Overlander 30 side bags (although you could). If I carry I top bag (usually a US10 and or a US5) I use the mount for that top bag.

Page 8 of this thread shows my (lack of) thought process for mounting the bags.

traveltoad screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 05:03 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #214
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for taking the time Traveltoad.
Did you attach the bags by using the rack or did you drill the fender like in the Kreiga mount instructions?
When packing or unpacking, can you remove one bag at a time, or does everything have to be removed?
When I travel light, I just used the 20L bag for my gear and the 10L bag to stash my jacket in if I remove it. That mounts on the rack.
When I do a longer trip or with camping gear, I have been using my GL Coyote and GL dry bag, but I found it to be a hassle if I needed something in the Coyote.
With the Kreiga's being individual bags, that seems like it would eliminate having to take everything apart, but???
Any more comments??

Cheers
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #215
traveltoad
Aaron S

Hey Michael, will the US Tank work on an Enduro style tank with the big hump at the fuel filler? Thinking about a US5 on the tank. (How many US5s can one person own?)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #216
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time Traveltoad.
Did you attach the bags by using the rack or did you drill the fender like in the Kreiga mount instructions?
When packing or unpacking, can you remove one bag at a time, or does everything have to be removed?
When I travel light, I just used the 20L bag for my gear and the 10L bag to stash my jacket in if I remove it. That mounts on the rack.
When I do a longer trip or with camping gear, I have been using my GL Coyote and GL dry bag, but I found it to be a hassle if I needed something in the Coyote.
With the Kreiga's being individual bags, that seems like it would eliminate having to take everything apart, but???
Any more comments??

Cheers
I drilled on my little 400... I used the rack mounting posts on my 950 (see page 8).

I don't usually take the bages off to pack/unpack, once on the bike for a trip they usually stay on. That said, the only thing connecting the two individual bags is the one strap that goes over the seat... so sure I guess you coule take one off. At the very least, only one bag needs to be loosened/open at a time not your whole kit.

I was able to fit my sleeping bag/therma rest and my bivy in one side bag, my clothes in the other side... then I used my US10 for things like a chair, shoes and spares etc (on this last trip I carried extra stuff to try to really load up the bags).

traveltoad screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 07:18 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #217
traveltoad
Aaron S

As an aside... I found the the best way to make the bags nice and tight against the bike was to (in order):

1) hook the upper rear straps
2) hook the forward (lower) straps
3) cinch the upper rear straps tight
4) pack the bags
5) cinch the bags up
6) cinch the strap over the seat
7) check it all to be sure

traveltoad screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 08:48 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #218
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Thumb Please add me

Michael,

Please add me. I have had my eye on Kriega gear for awhile.

Thanks,

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #219
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 580
Count me in :-)

Thanks for Offering this opportunity

2007 G650 Xchallenge - Sold
2009 F800GS
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R - may my meager skills be up to the challenge
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #220
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Hey Michael, will the US Tank work on an Enduro style tank with the big hump at the fuel filler? Thinking about a US5 on the tank. (How many US5s can one person own?)
Yeah - shouldn't be an issue on the 950. But because the filler cap is so pronounced, you'll just have to position it quite far back, so the cap and breather pipe aren't covered - as you would with any tank bag for this kinda bike.

Because of this, you won't be able to to use the standard Velcro straps, which route under the seat, so let me know if you do decide you need [another] US-5 up front and I'll switch out those straps for a set of Loop Straps (same as the forward straps on the US Tank), so you can secure the back end of the Tank adapter to the frame of your bike.

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #221
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambleon View Post
Michael,

Please add me. I have had my eye on Kriega gear for awhile.

Thanks,

Scrambleon
Added, mate!

BritKit LLC
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #222
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
Thanks for Offering this opportunity
Counted!

De nada, brah!

BritKit LLC
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #223
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Michael.............I'll go over what you have suggested and drop you a pm once I am closer to knowing what I want.

Cheers
No worries, chief. Looks like traveltoad's done a great job of explaining the Overlander 30 for us!

BritKit LLC
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #224
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Traveltoad.............I have a 520 also.........so your comments for both of your bikes will help out.

Cheers
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #225
JcbKarl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Please consider this post my entry - Kriega stuff is nice!

Karl
JcbKarl is offline   Reply With Quote