Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #661
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Thanks for sending the clip........and I will give you a review of the accessory when I can..........thanks for giving me the opportunity for this............whatever it is...........I'm excited!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #662
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Great to hear! Incidentally, the Overlander 15 Drypacks are precisely the right size to fit a 1-gallon RotopaX in (just remove the white liner to keep it clean), if you ever feel the need. This keeps the weight lower and more forward than having it on the back. The lighter stuff you might have put in the Overlander 15, you could secure to the fender in one of our US packs. So, you might be able to avoid the rack altogether.
Sneaky, now you have completely subverted my analysis of rack vs all soft bags... I like it.

Decisions, decisions.

=RT=
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #663
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 393
Thanks!!

Got the key fob and sticker pack you sent out. The accessories shown in the catalog have got me opening the bank account.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #664
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Hi, wondering if all rucksacks are waterproof?
I see the only rucksack R30 states its waterproof. But read posts other bags are supposedly waterproof too.

I'm liking the R25 backpack, but I like waterproofing as a feature. Not sure if this is such.
The R30 looks too big, but hard to tell by pics.
I like the R35 for its compression straps to scale the size. But also big IMO.

Hmm, tough to decide.

Are there any Canadian dealers?
I'm in Montreal, Quebec.

Thanks.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #665
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Since I am researching this as well note that it is not like this is like a goretex back pack. The waterpoof comes from an inner bag. I need waterproof as well. I think the advantage of the Kreiga over others appears to be the harness designed for motorcycling.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #666
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
The R35 is NOT waterproof while the R30 is waterproof. I have both. I like them both for different reasons.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #667
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 343
Yes! A large box arrived with all sorts of goodies in it. Thanks Mike! I'll be sure to post some pics and a report of the Overlanders after our 7 day ride in CO.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #668
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratthing View Post
Sneaky, now you have completely subverted my analysis of rack vs all soft bags... I like it.

Decisions, decisions.

=RT=
My pleasure, mate!

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #669
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,636
Does the R30 have the same liner set us like the US bag series?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #670
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Does the R30 have the same liner set us like the US bag series?
Yes.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #671
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hi, wondering if all rucksacks are waterproof?
I see the only rucksack R30 states its waterproof. But read posts other bags are supposedly waterproof too.

I'm liking the R25 backpack, but I like waterproofing as a feature. Not sure if this is such.
The R30 looks too big, but hard to tell by pics.

Hmm, tough to decide.

Are there any Canadian dealers?
I'm in Montreal, Quebec.

Thanks.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for joining in!

The short answer is: yes - the only to ensure guaranteed 100% waterproofing is with the roll-top Drypack construction found on the R30 and our US tail packs. Anything with a zipper has the potential to let water in - even the covered type, which many manufacturers claim to be 'waterproof'.

The outer shell material of all our packs are highly water-resistant and any zippers are covered. Because of this, water is inclined to roll of them and I have ridden through fairly heavy downpours at considerable speed for several hours without any water ingress (many people assume they are actually waterproof because they have not had any evidence to the contrary).

That said, if I am ever carrying something I really didn't want to get wet, I'd simply double bag it with a plastic grocery bag. Alternatively, the roll-top stuff sacks you can buy from pretty much any outdoors / camping store for $15-25 (depending on the size) make an excellent 'belt & braces' set-up.

The R30 on the other hand has a coated white inner liner, which stops any moisture that gets through the outer shell penetrating any further.

The R35 is, for sure, a decent-sized pack - you certainly wouldn't want any bigger on a bike and we don't recommend it for riders who may be smaller in stature. It's really intended for the type of rider who has a fair bit of stuff (e.g. for a weekend away and more) to haul and doesn't want any of it on the bike. Kind of an all-in-one solution.

The R30, while only 5 liters smaller, does somehow manage to seem significantly more compact. That said, none of our packs feel anything like their actual size / capacity once you put them on, thanks to the super-smart (I can say that because I didn't design it! ) QUADLOC harness system, which is absolutely unique and designed specifically for motorcycling.

All our packs have straps (the R30 has six-point compression) to cinch down the bag in order to keep the contents from slewing around and also prevent any material flapping in the breeze when the bag is not fully loaded.

As for the R25; this is our best-selling pack because it is a great all-rounder that is about the ideal 'day-pack' size and appeals to a very broad range of riders.

So, my advise (much the same as was given to me many years ago when I was trying to decide which of two similar bikes I was going to buy), is; they are all very very good indeed, so unless one of them does something out of the ordinary that you can't live without, just get the one you like the look of best.

Canada isn't my territory and it seems to be almost impossible to locate dealers via search engines etc, so I'm not sure whether you might have one nearby, but I can certainly see if I can find out if you like.

Hope that helps, but please feel free to PM me a contact number if you'd like me to call and go through the options in any greater detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 11:39 AM
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #672
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
Yes.
Correct - the liners are identical and therefore interchangeable.

BritKit LLC
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #673
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Yes! A large box arrived with all sorts of goodies in it. Thanks Mike! I'll be sure to post some pics and a report of the Overlanders after our 7 day ride in CO.
Thanks for trusting our gear to improve the quality of your ride.

Enjoy 'em mate!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #674
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Since I am researching this as well note that it is not like this is like a goretex back pack. The waterpoof comes from an inner bag. I need waterproof as well. I think the advantage of the Kreiga over others appears to be the harness designed for motorcycling.
Hi mate,

Actually, the R30 is not all that dissimilar to a GORE-TEX jacket, for example. The only difference is that GORE-TEX is a breathable membrane (so that sweat etc. can escape), while the material we use is not. Because it doesn't need to be.

Other than that they work in precisely the same way, with an outer material (1000D Cordura in the case of the R30 - most garments use a lighter weight shell than this) and waterproof material behind that in a z-liner arrangement.

The only exception is apparel using GORE-TEX Pro laminates, where the membrane is bonded onto the back of the outer shell material. This would be extreme overkill on a backpack, not to mention making it around 60% more expensive. As a result, nobody (not even Kriega!) would use Pro Shell in a backpack.

People like The North Face (who make excellent gear - just not for motorcycling) might use a GTX z-liner in a pack, but it's really just a bit of a gimmick. Any waterproof, taped seam material will do absolutely the same job.

The only other waterproofing option is to make the outer shell from something like truck tarp, which certainly repels water, but is not at all suited to the job, too easily damaged and NASTY too.

Hopefully my response to mint julep (above in post # 671) answers your other questions about the 'Kriega difference', but please feel free to post or PM a number if you'd like any more detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 11:45 AM
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #675
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Thanks for sending the clip........and I will give you a review of the accessory when I can..........thanks for giving me the opportunity for this............whatever it is...........I'm excited!
Don't get too giddy, mate! It's only a few bucks worth, but it is - in its own way - pretty clever and very useful.

BritKit LLC