User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #736
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 173
Laugh First time going Kriega soft

Finally get to take my bike out. Gears all loaded and using the Kriega soft bags for the first time. They are very deceiving on how much they will hold. I have a US 40 set up. Got it all into the 20. Decided to load up heated gear (unnecessarily) just to see how well the 10 stays on top of the 20.

If I ever get the patience to post pictures. I'll put some on here and let you know how it went.

Thanks again for the mounting help.

Sincerely,
Steve
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #737
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hi Tourmeister,

You can indeed use any of our US packs as a tail pack using the Rack Loops supplied with the Overlander 30 - it's all down to available space / size of machine, but shouldn't be an issue on the 530.

Other than the things you mentioned, there's no difference between the 20 and 30, with the slight exception that, due to its size, the 30 can be mounted across the seat if desired (not necessary with the 20).

And 60 liters of storage should be plenty for a six-day ride as long as your camping gear (in particular the tent) fits in one of the bags. If not you can use the Rack Loops to strap it on the back, along with the US pack.

Hope that helps, but please let me know if you need any more info.

All the best,

Michael
I have been looking on your website but cannot find any info about the dimensions of the bags, L X W X H. All I see is the liter capacity. Do you have this info for the US-20 and 30? That would really help me figure out what I can stick in the bags.

Also, have you heard of anyone using any of the smaller bags as tank panniers? I was thinking the US-5 or 10s would make great tank panniers if there is a way to strap them to the bike securely. I used the Wolfman tank panniers on a KLR 650 and they worked great (sold them with the bike unfortunately). I packed them with stuff like rain liners, extra clothing layers, spare tubes, and other "cushy" stuff that would absorb a tip over impact. My KLR was gravitationally challenged... I was thinking that it might be possible to rig something up with a few of the spare straps you sell.

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #738
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Look at post #426 on page 29............your 530 will be very similar to what I have mounted on my 520.

Hope the photos help.

Cheers
It does. I read this whole thread yesterday and paid close attention to your posts. Have you had any issues with the weight on the fender behind the seat? My KTM doesn't have much in the way of a subframe for carrying loads like my old KLR had. So I am a little worried.

I hope to be able to just pack my tent, sleeping bag, and maybe some other lightweight stuff on the top and keep the heavier stuff down low on the sides.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #739
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I have been looking on your website but cannot find any info about the dimensions of the bags, L X W X H. All I see is the liter capacity.
I think that's because it's tough to measure those dimensions in a true dry bag. First, the length changes depending on how many times you roll the top to close it. And since the bag is continuous, as in no sewn seams, the other dimensions aren't measurable either. Imagine trying to measure those dimensions on a garbage bag. When you look at Kriega bags from the outside you'll see that there are defined seams, but the dry bag that lines the inside has none.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #740
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
I think that's because it's tough to measure those dimensions in a true dry bag. First, the length changes depending on how many times you roll the top to close it. And since the bag is continuous, as in no sewn seams, the other dimensions aren't measurable either. Imagine trying to measure those dimensions on a garbage bag. When you look at Kriega bags from the outside you'll see that there are defined seams, but the dry bag that lines the inside has none.
Well... Even so, there should still be a rough length and maybe a "stuffed" diameter even if they aren't perfect rectangles. I mean, they had to have something to figure out the liter capacity. I am not wanting exact dimensions, mostly just a basic idea of length so I can figure out if a tent will fit in the bag.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #741
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
It does. I read this whole thread yesterday and paid close attention to your posts. Have you had any issues with the weight on the fender behind the seat? My KTM doesn't have much in the way of a subframe for carrying loads like my old KLR had. So I am a little worried.

I hope to be able to just pack my tent, sleeping bag, and maybe some other lightweight stuff on the top and keep the heavier stuff down low on the sides.

I can't comment on problems yet as I have not used the set up on that bike......the weather has been lousy...and my subframe does not have much support back there either..........the way the bags are set up.........most of the weight would carried by the over the seat strap.

I really don't think you will have a problem as the set up is very secure..........but you still have to pack smart!

Cheers
Old 05-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #742
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
I have been looking on your website but cannot find any info about the dimensions of the bags, L X W X H. All I see is the liter capacity. Do you have this info for the US-20 and 30? That would really help me figure out what I can stick in the bags.

Also, have you heard of anyone using any of the smaller bags as tank panniers? I was thinking the US-5 or 10s would make great tank panniers if there is a way to strap them to the bike securely. I used the Wolfman tank panniers on a KLR 650 and they worked great (sold them with the bike unfortunately). I packed them with stuff like rain liners, extra clothing layers, spare tubes, and other "cushy" stuff that would absorb a tip over impact. My KLR was gravitationally challenged... I was thinking that it might be possible to rig something up with a few of the spare straps you sell.
Hi mate,

Click on the 'Tech Spec' thumbnail on any product page and you'll see the dimensions. I'm still actually in the process of converting them from Metric into 'old money' but most of them and now in inches.

We don't do a specific tank pannier system, but attaching 2 x US Tanks to make a harness system, and then attaching a US-5 to each side works very well. It would be possible to do the same with US-10s, but we dont recommend it due to - when side-slung, as opposed to horizontally mounted as a tail pack - all the weight being borne by the quick-release clips. While they are more than likely up to the job, there is the possibility that they could come unclipped... which would be bad. . The US-5s however strap on securely and stay put. So, I guess it just depends how much capacity you need up front.

Here's what it would look like:

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #743
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:

Hello again!

This system was designed with KTMs and other lightweight MX / Enduro style Dual Sports firmly in mind and tested with what was described as 'ridiculous' riding by multiple Dakar finisher, Craig Bounds, who couldn't break a bike with them on.

So, as long as you don't get silly with the packing, you'll have no worries. Obviously, subframes do get buggered in various different ways (Craig actually managed to snap Dom's (Kriega owner / partner and Overlander designer) KTM 690 ER recently and that was without any luggage attached to it!), but with anything up to 30 liters on the back and - as you say - the heavier gear on the sides, you'll be right. And in way better shape than if you binned it with racks on.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #744
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Hi mate,

Click on the 'Tech Spec' thumbnail on any product page and you'll see the dimensions. I'm still actually in the process of converting them from Metric into 'old money' but most of them and now in inches.

We don't do a specific tank pannier system, but attaching 2 x US Tanks to make a harness system, and then attaching a US-5 to each side works very well. It would be possible to do the same with US-10s, but we dont recommend it due to - when side-slung, as opposed to horizontally mounted as a tail pack - all the weight being borne by the quick-release clips. While they are more than likely up to the job, there is the possibility that they could come unclipped... which would be bad. . The US-5s however strap on securely and stay put. So, I guess it just depends how much capacity you need up front.

Here's what it would look like:

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Michael
That looks exactly like what I was thinking! Do the straps used to hold the bags in place come with the bags or do they have to be ordered separately? If they are separate, which ones do I get and how many do I need? Also, how are the bags secured at the bottom?

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #745
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a Hydro-3 today. Typical great Kriega quality! But I have a question that may sound kinda stupid. The reservoir was in the bag with the water opening towards the bottom and the hose connection towards the top. Is that correct? When I look at the Hydrapak web site, it appears their reservoirs typically go with the water opening towards the top and the hose connection towards the bottom.

Thanks as always for the great products!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #746
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Got a Hydro-3 today. Typical great Kriega quality! But I have a question that may sound kinda stupid. The reservoir was in the bag with the water opening towards the bottom and the hose connection towards the top. Is that correct? When I look at the Hydrapak web site, it appears their reservoirs typically go with the water opening towards the top and the hose connection towards the bottom.

Thanks as always for the great products!
Hi mate,

Ummmm... no: that's not right. The opening should be at the top (with the Velcro loop threaded through the slide closure). Hopefully it was just a one-off (the Hydrapaks come separately from the pack itself, so we assemble them prior to shipping), but I'll have a word with my warehouse to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else.

Sorry about that! But glad you still dig it.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #747
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
That looks exactly like what I was thinking! Do the straps used to hold the bags in place come with the bags or do they have to be ordered separately? If they are separate, which ones do I get and how many do I need? Also, how are the bags secured at the bottom?
You know what? the pic is from a show in the UK and I've never actually done this. The attachment points will differ from bike to bike, so I can't say for sure how they'll attach on other machines, but I'll experiment a little with straps and also find out how it was done on this Katoom, then I can get back to you with a solid suggestion.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #748
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi mate,

Ummmm... no: that's not right. The opening should be at the top (with the Velcro loop threaded through the slide closure). Hopefully it was just a one-off (the Hydrapaks come separately from the pack itself, so we assemble them prior to shipping), but I'll have a word with my warehouse to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else.

Sorry about that! But glad you still dig it.

All the best,

Michael
No problem at all. It was kinda bunched up in the bottom, so it's possible that it was in there right to start, but it may have gotten a bit twisted somehow. No worries!

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #749
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
No problem at all. It was kinda bunched up in the bottom, so it's possible that it was in there right to start, but it may have gotten a bit twisted somehow. No worries!

Thanks!
Nope - that was a screw-up.

There's no way the reservoir could ever somersault if it had been correctly installed with the Velcro holding it upright and the pack supporting it.

Really sorry!

BritKit LLC
Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #750
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
You know what? the pic is from a show in the UK and I've never actually done this. The attachment points will differ from bike to bike, so I can't say for sure how they'll attach on other machines, but I'll experiment a little with straps and also find out how it was done on this Katoom, then I can get back to you with a solid suggestion.

Cheers,

Michael
Awesome. Thanks!

Two Wheeled Texans