Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #751
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Does the US-5 drypack come with the alloy hooks like the US-10? I'd like to get the US-5 to use as a tail pack for the KTM 690. But, it needs to be easily removable since it will be mounted over the gas cap at the back of the seat. It seems like the alloy hooks that come with the US-10 would be useful for quick removal.

thanks
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #752
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Hey Scott, quick question. Does the new tank adapter come with regular straps? The Velcro straps were too short and never worked right, I had to hit a camping spot for regular nylon webbing but that stuff deteriorates sitting in the sun after just one summer.

Just had the same issue with another brand where the straps turned into a flaky torn up mess.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #753
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
Does the US-5 drypack come with the alloy hooks like the US-10? I'd like to get the US-5 to use as a tail pack for the KTM 690. But, it needs to be easily removable since it will be mounted over the gas cap at the back of the seat. It seems like the alloy hooks that come with the US-10 would be useful for quick removal.

thanks
Hi Leanin,

The US-5 is a stand-alone fender pack for dirt bikes. It differs from the rest of the US range because it comes with a pair of shorter reinforced straps, each of which has 2 x stainless steel eyelets, so that they can be bolted directly onto the bike:

It is therefore not compatible with the Alloy Hook Straps. It is possible to get a standard fit on some rear gas tank bikes, if there is enough room between the fender plastic and tank to fit the small nyloc nut required to secure it. However...

This could be precisely what you are looking for:

US-5 attached to a set of our Rack Loops (with lo-pro fastening to only protrude 2mm below the fender plastics, which is ideal for KTMs and Husabergs etc), using a pair of Kriega Cam Straps. This is a great set-up because it allows you to quickly attach / remove the US-5, as well as any of our other US packs (the Alloy Hook Straps hook into the rotating web loops on the bike) or pretty much anything you might want to strap on their, within reason (tent, sleeping bag / mat, roll bag etc).

Alternatively, you could just go up to the US-10, attached with Rack Loops, like so:

Let me know if you need any more detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #754
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Hey Scott, quick question. Does the new tank adapter come with regular straps? The Velcro straps were too short and never worked right, I had to hit a camping spot for regular nylon webbing but that stuff deteriorates sitting in the sun after just one summer.

Just had the same issue with another brand where the straps turned into a flaky torn up mess.
Hi mate,

Scott handed the reigns over to me a little while back Nice to meet you!

The US Tank is unchanged, however it should work on pretty much any bike (with the exception of a couple of Ducatis and older / more obscure models) with the Velcro, just fine - they are length adjustable from 9" to 14", plus the forward facing straps can be backed off to reposition the base plate further back, thereby proving more 'range' for the rear straps.

That said, on some smaller Dual Sports it can be better to replace the Velcro the optional Loop Straps (like the ones at the front of the base plate), which essentially enable you to tie the rear of the base plate onto the frame.

If you want to send me a photo of your set up (bag mounted, bike with seat removed from above and anything else relevant), I'll be happy to see if I can shed any light on what the issue is here.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #755
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hi mate,

Scott handed the reigns over to me a little while back Nice to meet you!

The US Tank is unchanged, however it should work on pretty much any bike (with the exception of a couple of Ducatis and older / more obscure models) with the Velcro, just fine - they are length adjustable from 9" to 14", plus the forward facing straps can be backed off to reposition the base plate further back, thereby proving more 'range' for the rear straps.

That said, on some smaller Dual Sports it can be better to replace the Velcro the optional Loop Straps (like the ones at the front of the base plate), which essentially enable you to tie the rear of the base plate onto the frame.

If you want to send me a photo of your set up (bag mounted, bike with seat removed from above and anything else relevant), I'll be happy to see if I can shed any light on what the issue is here.

Cheers,

Michael
It's just too short on some of my bikes.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #756
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
It's just too short on some of my bikes.
In that case, may I suggest a set of these, sir:

Click image to view on the website.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #757
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Mike, I'm confused, how does the US-5 quickly attach to the rack loops if it doesn't have alloy hooks?
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #758
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
Mike, I'm confused, how does the US-5 quickly attach to the rack loops if it doesn't have alloy hooks?
With the addition of Cam Straps (available separately):

Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

It's not necessarily the quickest on/off, but it is bloody secure. If you're going to be removing the replacing the bag extremely regularly, you may want to look at the US-10, but either the standard bolt-on or optional Cam Strap options only take a few seconds to undo. Obviously with the bolt-on. the straps stay on the bike, but if you're only removing the pack temporarily or at the end of a ride, that's not really an issue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #759
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried that, but I'm still having issues with getting it as tight as I would like. Maybe I'm expecting to much, or my tank isn't idea for mounting. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. I think I'll look into the different style of straps on the Kriega site instead of the alloy hooks on the tank adapter.

Also just got the R25, Kube Pocket and US-5 packs on Thursday. Great stuff!
Update: The bag is now fitted securely! Everytime I was cinching the Tank Bag Adapter tight, I was pulling it tight to a part of the headstock/ steering tube where it would eventually slide up and off making the straps loosen over time. I've now secured it lower down so it actually locks in place. It is very tight now. Also, the way I was US-alloy hooks mounted was inefficent. I was looping them too far through the Tank Adapter...as the straps would tighten, they would actually loosen the hooks on US-Alloy hooks. If I only slide the hook through vs the hook and the stiff double-back section of nylon and then double the hook back it works very well. Tested it out yesterday on a 200+ mile jaunt and it is great.

To sum it up...user error all along

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to get some pics up.
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #760
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Update: The bag is now fitted securely! Everytime I was cinching the Tank Bag Adapter tight, I was pulling it tight to a part of the headstock/ steering tube where it would eventually slide up and off making the straps loosen over time. I've now secured it lower down so it actually locks in place. It is very tight now. Also, the way I was US-alloy hooks mounted was inefficent. I was looping them too far through the Tank Adapter...as the straps would tighten, they would actually loosen the hooks on US-Alloy hooks. If I only slide the hook through vs the hook and the stiff double-back section of nylon and then double the hook back it works very well. Tested it out yesterday on a 200+ mile jaunt and it is great.

To sum it up...user error all along

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to get some pics up.
Good stuff!

BritKit LLC
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #761
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
My son approves of the US20 bags we use on our 4x4 trips.

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #762
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
My son approves of the US20 bags we use on our 4x4 trips.

Clearly a very well brought up kiddo!

BritKit LLC
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #763
bwphoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Just wanted to mention my experience with Kriega. I decided to go on a last-minute trip for the Memorial Day weekend. I had been using an old duffel bag with bungees for weekenders, but this KLR-style luggage just wouldn't do on the back of a new 1200GS. I ordered directly from Mike at Kriega in the U.S., and we figured two-day air would get a US-30 to me in time for the trip.

Well, something got mixed up and Mike, knowing I was set to hit the road on Friday, generously overnighted me a bag at his own expense. Super service and a super product.

The US-30 packed up well and worked great for a 3-day weekend. I was staying at a friend's house, so outdoor gear was not necessary but a change of clothes was. Easily held a weekend's worth of city-living necessities and then some, but I think the US20 would've been too small unless you're a total minimalist.

On the 1200GS, it mounted easily and fit "the long ways" with room to spare. There are a ton of mounting points on the back of the GS, and I liked to keep it forward a little for use as a back rest and the ability to just lean back a little and know its still attached. Paranoid, I know.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this if you're looking for a weekend getaway pack that is small and unobtrusive. While it looks like there are a lot of straps, they all buckle down and serve a purpose. Nothing flapping in the breeze or anything like that.

Thanks for the great service, Mike!

A couple pix:

bwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #764
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwphoto View Post
Just wanted to mention my experience with Kriega. I decided to go on a last-minute trip for the Memorial Day weekend. I had been using an old duffel bag with bungees for weekenders, but this KLR-style luggage just wouldn't do on the back of a new 1200GS. I ordered directly from Mike at Kriega in the U.S., and we figured two-day air would get a US-30 to me in time for the trip.

Well, something got mixed up and Mike, knowing I was set to hit the road on Friday, generously overnighted me a bag at his own expense. Super service and a super product.

The US-30 packed up well and worked great for a 3-day weekend. I was staying at a friend's house, so outdoor gear was not necessary but a change of clothes was. Easily held a weekend's worth of city-living necessities and then some, but I think the US20 would've been too small unless you're a total minimalist.

On the 1200GS, it mounted easily and fit "the long ways" with room to spare. There are a ton of mounting points on the back of the GS, and I liked to keep it forward a little for use as a back rest and the ability to just lean back a little and know its still attached. Paranoid, I know.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this if you're looking for a weekend getaway pack that is small and unobtrusive. While it looks like there are a lot of straps, they all buckle down and serve a purpose. Nothing flapping in the breeze or anything like that.

Thanks for the great service, Mike!

A couple pix:

Yup! That was a close one - victory snatched from the jaws of defeat!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I do dig the anniversary edition GS. Best looking big bike they've put out since the Dakars that originally carried that livery.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. You'll want to 'lock-off' the subframe loops, by threading the loose end back through the buckle one more time. Once you've done that, that pack aint going nowhere.

BritKit LLC
Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #765
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quick question, way back I asked why there were no d-rings on the same loop as the buckles.

Just saw this pic of a US-20 with rectangular D rings over the quick release buckles.

None of the 6 Kriega bags I have (2 US-30s, 2 US-20s, 1 US-10 and a US-5) have these. :(

I have been trying to source "C clips" that I can mount without sewing but have come up short.

Are those fully solid, IE I would need to cut and sew to mount those right?