ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #811
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I've landed back in Thailand with bike and Kriega bits and starting to get everything sorted. Since I'm short I've adjusted the R20 pack shoulder straps to differing positions suited up in my armor to determine the best fit.

When adjusting the shoulder strap to a spot that has the three dots on the shoulder strap centered in the plastic buckle I end up with an extra loop of strap material that I cannot get the harness to "suck up" (for lack of a better word) and it just hangs in the breeze.

I have looked at the fitting guide on the Kriega website and have yanked, pulled, pushed and slammed the pack against the straps both from the bottom of the traditional pack adjusters and above the Kriega shoulder strap length adjusters in an attempt to get the harness to take up the slack all to no avail.



This slack is on both left and right shoulder straps. When adjusted with one or two dots centered in the buckle I had no issues with extra slack. Any insight?
Hi mate,

Long story short, 3 dots is the XL setting. You want to readjust to 1 dot, pushing the harness back into the pack body as you shorten.

As you have it there, you'd do the opposite and yank on the harness to pull the upper parts out of their housing in the pack body and remove the slack in the webbing.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,



Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #812
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerkuh View Post
Mike, a very limited Airhead budget. Looking for a used but still serviceable US 20 to use as a tailbag. A US 10 could also work and a US 5 would be a bonus. Do you have anything used flying around? Would love to take it for your hands reasonably.... BTW working on killing the R25 Backpack and can't do it... but I will keep trying.
Hey boxerkuh,

I might just have a couple of the previous version of the US-20 kicking around, which I can make available for first dibs in the ADV Donations thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

Lemme know if that works, so I can set it up and tip y'all off.


Cheers,



Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #813
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough no straps visible from the inside of my R15 pack/bladder compartment. Got it all figured out anyway and being a midget adjusted the straps as tight as they would go with only one dot.

Now off to try the kit in the field with the Overlander 30, R15, R3 and Cube pocket going for a couple day ride in 30 minutes.
Only just saw this... Glad you got it figured out.

FYI the 'loose' ends of the harness slip into the main pack compartment, but behind the internal back panel, so they don't get in the way.

Have a good 'un!
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #814
JCANRUN
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 37
Question R15

Michael,
I'm considering the R15 backpack but I have a few questions. Is there an pocket on the outside that I can put my wallet, etc. in? Can you post a picture of this pocket and if it's there, how big is it? Also, can you post a picture of the pack with the center buckle unhooked and straps pulled to the side so I can see the padding on the inner side of the back (the part that goes against the riders back)? I want to see the padding/inner side of the pack that sits on the riders back.
Thanks,
Joel
__________________
2013 Tiger 800 - Blue
JCANRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #815
Holy Smoke
Adventurer
 
Holy Smoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Apex NC
Oddometer: 24
I would love to have a chance at one of these,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hey boxerkuh,

I might just have a couple of the previous version of the US-20 kicking around, which I can make available for first dibs in the ADV Donations thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

Lemme know if that works, so I can set it up and tip y'all off.


Cheers,




Michael
__________________
2007 Yamaha YZ125 full mod bike
2013 Triumph Scrambler * sold
2007 KTM 300 XCW *sold
2007 Husquvarna wr250 *sold
Honda crf250r *sold
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #816
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am
 
darkstarmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: SEPA
Oddometer: 348
Finally!

So I can finally weigh in with my opinion on the Overlander 30 set-up. It is freaking awesome! No joke, they carry more stuff securely than other systems I've tried over the years. At 1st I was a bit concerned it may flap a bit because of the 3 point mounting system but that is no longer a concern at all. These bags held on for some of the most fun trails in the San Jauns...held on better than I did in fact. A rocky climb on La Garita Stock Trail found me on my backside with 2 hairline cracked ribs but the bags never budged. The 30's plus an older US10 (with updated alloy hooks) made for a great lightweight pairing that worked like a charm. Michael, I can't thank you enough for the awesome deal and you can trust I'll keep adding to my Kriega arsenal as long as you guys keep making gear we can trust.

__________________
08 KTM 690 SMR - 08 KTM 530 EXC-R - 07 Ducati MTS1100S - Redneck Engineering Mutant
darkstarmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #817
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,570
Great photo!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #818
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Carolina's
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hey boxerkuh,

I might just have a couple of the previous version of the US-20 kicking around, which I can make available for first dibs in the ADV Donations thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

Lemme know if that works, so I can set it up and tip y'all off.


Cheers,



Michael

Michael: I am in. Old model, used model, count me in!!!
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #819
dLuna
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 2
First of all a big thanks to Kriega for answering all our questions. I've read through much of this thread, but definitely not all.

I have a question which I don't know if it's been answered: how comfortable is the Kriega R30 to carry off the motorcycle, just walking around?

I need a new backpack and will primarily use it without the motorcycle, but obviously also with the bike. Would the Kriega R30 (or potentially R35) be a good choice or should I find myself something else?
dLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #820
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer
 
4TooMany's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLuna View Post
I need a new backpack and will primarily use it without the motorcycle, but obviously also with the bike. Would the Kriega R30 (or potentially R35) be a good choice or should I find myself something else?
I'm a fairly avid backpacker, and I also own an R30 and an R35. I would say if your primary use is off the bike, I'd look elsewhere. A backpack designed for backpacking has a sturdy hip belt designed to place the majority of the weight on your hips. Motorcycle-specific backpacks are not designed that way (for good reason). I have used both of my Kriega packs for some light hiking and travel and they work fine. But if I was looking for a pack primarily for use off the bike, I'd run over to your local outdoor store and get a real backpacking backpack.
__________________
MSF RiderCoach
2012 BMW F800GS Trophy
2011 Suzuki DRZ-400S
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #821
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANRUN View Post
Michael,
I'm considering the R15 backpack but I have a few questions. Is there an pocket on the outside that I can put my wallet, etc. in? Can you post a picture of this pocket and if it's there, how big is it? Also, can you post a picture of the pack with the center buckle unhooked and straps pulled to the side so I can see the padding on the inner side of the back (the part that goes against the riders back)? I want to see the padding/inner side of the pack that sits on the riders back.
Thanks,
Joel
Hey Joel,

Thanks for getting involved!

There is indeed an outer pocket on the R15. It has a covered zipper (the kind most manufacturers class as 'waterproof' (in reality they are highly water resistant) and has an approximate capacity of 1.5 liters, however you can squeeze a lot more than that in if required. Either way, it will easily accommodate a wallet etc and a considerable number of other items if required. You can see the zipper for the pocket running down the front side of the pack in this image:



Hopefully you can also make out the 5mm AIRSPACE material which is used on the back panel, as well as the inside of the harness on this pack.

AIRSPACE is designed to be very tough, but also enable as much airflow as possible to minimize 'sweaty back syndrome'. It is also has pretty decent non-slip characteristics to help keep the pack in place.

The photo below shows the back panel, which is sculpted and padded in specific areas for comfort and airflow:



I hope that helps, but please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to take some custom photos of a particular area.


All the best,



Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 01:17 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #822
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLuna View Post
First of all a big thanks to Kriega for answering all our questions. I've read through much of this thread, but definitely not all.

I have a question which I don't know if it's been answered: how comfortable is the Kriega R30 to carry off the motorcycle, just walking around?

I need a new backpack and will primarily use it without the motorcycle, but obviously also with the bike. Would the Kriega R30 (or potentially R35) be a good choice or should I find myself something else?
4TooMany is right. While all of our packs are way better at most things than many 'multi-purpose' packs on the market and do work very well off the bike (I just hiked 20 miles of mountainous terrain, wearing a fully-loaded R30, without any discomfort whatsoever), they were designed specifically to deal with the rigors and ergonomics of motorcycling. So, if hiking will be your main activity, get a hiking pack. That said, it will be pretty hideous on the bike...

It may not be the answer you wanted, but the right tool for the job is generally worth the investment. And if you have two jobs, it's a good idea to see whether it's viable to get one for the bike and one for the boots.


Cheers,


Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #823
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
So I can finally weigh in with my opinion on the Overlander 30 set-up. It is freaking awesome! No joke, they carry more stuff securely than other systems I've tried over the years. At 1st I was a bit concerned it may flap a bit because of the 3 point mounting system but that is no longer a concern at all. These bags held on for some of the most fun trails in the San Jauns...held on better than I did in fact. A rocky climb on La Garita Stock Trail found me on my backside with 2 hairline cracked ribs but the bags never budged. The 30's plus an older US10 (with updated alloy hooks) made for a great lightweight pairing that worked like a charm. Michael, I can't thank you enough for the awesome deal and you can trust I'll keep adding to my Kriega arsenal as long as you guys keep making gear we can trust.

Ah, man... Not really much I can add to that.... Except to say that I'm proper pleased that the gear has lived up to your expectations. And also thank you for taking the time to send the feedback and post that mega pic.

Heal quickly, mate!


Cheers,


Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #824
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak
 
amanlikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Big Easy.
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerkuh View Post
Michael: I am in. Old model, used model, count me in!!!

Alrighty then! I'll tee it up next week and let you, HolySmoke and anyone else interested, know what the sketch is. There'll be no price tag - just whatever you think appropriate to donate for the upkeep of the ADVsylum, in exchange for the goods. The Donations thread has details on how to Paypal funds.

In a bit!


Michael
__________________
'Ave it.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 01:37 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #825
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Alrighty then! I'll tee it up next week and let you, HolySmoke and anyone else interested, know what the sketch is. There'll be no price tag - just whatever you think appropriate to donate for the upkeep of the ADVsylum, in exchange for the goods. The Donations thread has details on how to Paypal funds.

In a bit!


Michael
I'll take one as well if it's not too late.
Thanks for making this possible. Much appreciated.

Jim
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014