Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #856
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshdave View Post
What do you mean by this? Which quick release clips?
The ones that are used to keep the bag closed. One on each side and another that secures the strap over the center of the roll closure.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #857
swooshdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Did someone mention using those for carrying?
swooshdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #858
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Did someone mention using those for carrying?
Nope. But lifting the pack by a handle attached to the D-rings will put tension on these clips.

BritKit LLC
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #859
swooshdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hmmm, I think the body of the bag takes most of the load. Might depend on how much is rolled up.
swooshdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #860
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Hmmm, I think the body of the bag takes most of the load. Might depend on how much is rolled up.
How much it's rolled and how heavy it's packed.

Just trying to make sure no disasters occur!

BritKit LLC
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #861
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Yup. Just be aware that when lifting the bag by the D-rings, you are relying on quick-release clips to support the weight. And, as the name suggests, these are not intended to be load-bearing...
That's probably true. Here is how I do it.

Handle on the side, in the center. run loops underneath Kriega compression straps, through D rings, through second set of D rings, attached to the compression straps on the other side. This way the whole bag holes the weight.

Tip if your Kriega bag uses the alloy hooks. Cut the stitching on two of them from teh ends to open em up to allow them to slide out of the plastic buckles. Slide them out and put them back upside down. The reason for this is that all 4 alloy hooks point in the same direction. I never liked that, I wanted the open end of the hooks to be pointing rearward of the bike. Just in case the straps loosen up the hooks wouldn't slide off the other loop in the wind.

So when switching two hooks and using them with the handle make sure the hooks face away from one another. Just in case you overload the bag and the add a handle pulls the hook still stays attached to the bag.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #862
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Hi mcg!

The US-5 isn't really intended to mount to the other US packs - least of all the US-30. It was designed as a stand-alone fender pack, for bolting on to the plastic of dirt bikes.

Although not intended to do this, fitting it to older US-10 and US-20s is pretty straightforward - just a case of forcing one of the [thick] US-5 straps through the plastic rings on the top of the 10/20. New US packs no longer have these rings, and it can still be tricky even on older US-30s, due to the distance between the the rings being too wide for the US-5. It will not attach to the sides.

So, unfortunately, there is no official solution, but that's not to say it's impossible to 'McGyver' something that does the job.

Sorry I can't be the bearer of any better news.

All the best,

Michael
I think I might have figured out a solution. I removed the two compression straps from the US-5, then routed the US-30 straps through these loops. I can't test it on my bike yet because it's in the shop, but this setup looks like it could work.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/...ps733ff324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #863
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Thanks for the great service (as usual) Michael!

I will post some photos of the US Tank Adaptor mounted on the Super Enduro in a couple days!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #864
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
I think I might have figured out a solution. I removed the two compression straps from the US-5, then routed the US-30 straps through these loops. I can't test it on my bike yet because it's in the shop, but this setup looks like it could work.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/...ps733ff324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Assuming the subframe loops (where the hook attaches) is beneath the pack (so the US-5 doesn't slide down the straps too far), that could work.

BritKit LLC
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #865
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

A little later than advertised...

Quote:
In case you didn't see it in my reply to Inmate HaChayalBoded, I just wanted to let any one interested know that two unused US-20s (previous version with compression straps) are scheduled for posting in the ADV Donations thread at some point tomorrow: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

I'll PM this to those who have already expressed an interest and post in this thread (as well as the Donations thread, obviously) in this thread when they're online, so it's worth subscribing to both threads and setting up an alert.

All proceeds will go directly to Baldy to help keep this incredible madhouse up to speed, so - if you win - please donate as much as you can / feel is appropriate. You'll get it back in the end and you don't have to state how much you handed over, but you can if you like!

Instructions on how to 'dib' (dont think I've ever written that word before - kinda dig how it looks!) are in the first post of that thread.

This is what it looks like:

MSRP was $99. It has compression straps instead of the current Alloy Hook system and plastic rings, instead of the web loops on the current version. Other than that, it's the same pack.

Happy hunting!

Michael
Hello chaps,

Just to let you know that I will definitely be posting these in the Donations thread tomorrow.

Apologies that it didn't happen last week, but it seems I brought a hitchhiker back with me from Central America... in my lower intestine. Little fecker took me clear out of the game from Thursday afternoon until Monday and I'm only just getting back up to speed.

PMs are about to be sent to all concerned. Post will happen the following morning.

Thanks for your patience,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #866
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
So I should start with stating the fact that I hate tank bags. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. Yes i have used one in the past. I have had (in a past life) bigs one and small ones; tall ones and short ones; wide ones and thin ones.

I absolutely understand how functional and convenient they can be, but I hate them. I have not had one on any of my bike since 2000 when I tried a BMW tank bag on my R1150GS. It lasted about 4 months and was gone. Hated it.

Ok, now that we have that covered.

I have been intrigued by the US Tank Adaptor pretty much since I discovered Kriega (however many years ago that was). But, like I said, I hate tank bags, so I never ordered one to try. Just recently however, a riding buddy of mine (and a recent Kriega convert) ordered one for his KTM 350exc. I checked out how it fit (standard Kriega high quality, I won't bore you with talking about that again) and was very impressed. Even on the very small and narrow 350 tank, the US Tank seemed to fit and work pretty well.

Hmmm... I am heading to Colorado (KTM Rally) later this summer and to have easy access to a camera and a couple other small things might be kind of nice. Being able to keep that stuff dry would also be nice. So I shrugged my shoulders, gave a sigh and called Michael to order a US Tank Adaptor and a US5 Dry Bag.

Mounting the US Tank Adaptor on the Super Enduro's Safari tank (very odd shape, not easy to mount anything to it) took all of about 15 min including photos. Pretty damn easy. Looks good. I will have to ride it to be sure, but it sure doesn't seem like it will be in the way. I'm impressed.

Mounted on a KTM Super Enduro with the 7.9 gal Safari Tank. The bike has a Renazco seat with a Rallye pocket that you can just see poking out from under the US Tank Adaptor.

The Super Enduro has little bodywork which made it very easy to attach the included straps. Also, one end of the US Tank Adaptor has quick release buckles, so moving it around to access what is under it is very easy and won't mess with strap adjustments. For the SE I positioned the quick releases in the rear to allow the seat to be removed.

And with a US5 mounted (empty).

THe US Tank Adaptor seems a bit too wide for the US5, I think it is probably designed for the larger US10 or US20 bags. Probably because I hate tank bags so much, something as large as a US10 or US20 is not going to happen. (As a side note my 350exc riding buddy has been riding with a US20 on the tank and says it works just fine.) Not big deal, but the US5 straps feel a bit short, so I will order a longer strap then all will be perfect.

traveltoad screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 05:43 AM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #867
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
In case you didn't see it in my reply to Inmate HaChayalBoded, I just wanted to let any one interested know that two unused US-20s (previous version with compression straps) are scheduled for posting in the ADV Donations thread at some point tomorrow: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

I'll PM this to those who have already expressed an interest and post in this thread (as well as the Donations thread, obviously) in this thread when they're online, so it's worth subscribing to both threads and setting up an alert.

All proceeds will go directly to Baldy to help keep this incredible madhouse up to speed, so - if you win - please donate as much as you can / feel is appropriate. You'll get it back in the end and you don't have to state how much you handed over, but you can if you like!

Instructions on how to 'dib' (dont think I've ever written that word before - kinda dig how it looks!) are in the first post of that thread.

This is what it looks like:

MSRP was $99. It has compression straps instead of the current Alloy Hook system and plastic rings, instead of the web loops on the current version. Other than that, it's the same pack.

Happy hunting!

Michael
Posted!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181

BritKit LLC
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #868
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
...Aaaand dibbed!

In about 10 seconds flat.

Sorry to those who missed out, but congrats to boxerkuh and OneZero for being quickest off the mark.

So, that's me all out of deleted items, but if I do dredge any more up from a dark and dusty corner of the warehouse, you chaps will be the first to know.

Enjoy your rides with Kriega, knowing that your donations will help Baldy make this forum a little more awesome that it already is.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 02:17 PM
Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #869
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,941
Just got back from an 8800 mile trip from Vermont to Oregon (scenic route) and delighted in the performance of my US30 and US20 combo strapped to a plate in lieu of the passenger seat. Absolutely waterproof, durable, and served as a pretty decent backrest as well!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #870
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Just got back from an 8800 mile trip from Vermont to Oregon (scenic route) and delighted in the performance of my US30 and US20 combo strapped to a plate in lieu of the passenger seat. Absolutely waterproof, durable, and served as a pretty decent backrest as well!
Happy days, mate!

Good to know we were able to help to keep Barley's kibble dry!

BritKit LLC