Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #931
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Went out for another three day ride with the Overlander 30 bags and my R15 pack on the KTM 500.

As a lot of posters may have read on this thread I can be critical of gear, however the R15 with the harness system dons so easily on and off it's a Godsend. We as motorcycle riders often have large protective armor and my shoulder protection on the Alpinestars chest protector sticks up waaay too much, this makes getting a hydration bladder or backpack on a complete nightmare. The R15 gets on and off so easy it's like cheating. Very well designed as a support structure for lightweight loads. One thing I would like to see added to the pack are two zipper pulls instead of one. This will make accessing the interior of the pack much easier. Now the one zipper to be closed is on the bottom of the pack necessitating undoing two Fastex buckles to clear a path for the zipper to be undone. Inefficient. All high end packs I own: Osprey, Dana, etc have two sipper pulls to ease pack access and Kriega pack access would benefit with this addition on it's next design upgrade

This trip instead of packing my traditional tarp and hammock i went with a bivy sack and down quilt to save a little space since packing space in the Overlander 30 bags is a little tight compared to the GL Coyote. This worked out well (though I would prefer the ability to pack the hammock) and was able to pack clothes, camp shoes, bivy sack and quilt in the bag on the left since its bulkier; and packed tools, spares, small first aid, water filter, and food in the exhaust side bag since it packs narrower. Ideally I would like to see some additional liter capacity added to the overlander 30 bags that if not used could be compressed with the compression straps yet is there if you need it. Something like seven or eight extra liters each side would be nice for my use.

All in all the bags worked well.

Michael I know you're busy but when you have a chance could you contact me on Skype as per our previous PM's. Thank you.
Hi mate,

Sorry for the delay in Skypeing you - I'm on the road at the moment, but will deffo drop you a line ASAP.

In the meantime, it looks like you got the system set-up pretty much perfectly. To address your other points (hopefully without sounding all defensive and stuff! ), our packs do not have double zippers for a few reasons:
  • 2 x zippers = 2 x the components to potentially fail - especially when the teeth get caked with 'cack' (see below)
  • Double zippers always leave a gap even when closed, which increases the chances of water and dust getting in. This isn't such a big deal on cycling / hiking packs like the ones from the manufacturers you mentioned, but on a pack that has to deal with rain lashing it at high speed, clouds of trail dust, regular dunkings in mud etc etc, that extra couple of mills can make a big difference
  • Covered zippers, like the one on your R15 are about as water-resistant as a zipper can get and covered zippers are not available with two pullers
  • The zipper puller being shielded by the compression strap is a conscious design element, intended to prevent it flapping around and potentially coming undone while riding.
  • Kriega packs are designed to perform best, when it is most important i.e. while riding. So - in some cases - a minor degree of convenience might be sacrificed to this end.

With regard to boosting capacity on the Overlander 30; Dom did experiment with various different pack shapes / sizes and after extensive R&D it was determined that 15L per side was optimum. Larger dimensions (along with the increased potential weight of a fully loaded system) would have made it harder to get a good fit, increased the chances of them interfering with the riding position, made the bike more of a handful and also made the system more likely to be ripped off when the bike takes a nap.

If additional capacity is required anything of our US packs (5, 10, 20 or 30 liters) more can be attached to the rear fender using the Rack Loops included with the Overlander 30.

Lovin' the photos - keep 'em coming!

Speak soon,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #932
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Thanks for the explanation on why two zipper pulls are not utilized. Inconvenient but I understand the benefits which all make sense. During my ride in the pics above we had rains and the interior of the pack had let in enough water to soak everything. Not a horrid issue as I know the pack is not waterproof so pack accordingly. Good news was no mud got through.

Was the Overlander 30 designed for multi day adventure riding? The reason i ask is bought the Overlander 30 specifically for that reason to replace my GL Coyote and wondering if I may have made some incorrect assumptions by assuming it could swallow enough gear. Curious what Dom packs for his multi day rides on his KTM 300 that fits into the Overlander 30 system as maybe I can learn a few things.

I pack fairly minimal for my travels and so prospective Overlander 30 buyers can have an idea of what fits in the bags this is what I packed for my last 3 day trip with the Overlander 30 and how much space, if any, was left over.

This was packed in the exhaust side bag as it packs narrower, I had about 2 liters of space left over in the bag.

Left column from the top is: dried pork, dried mangoes, (not pictured was a back of cooked sticky rice), toiletries, water filter. Right column is electrolytes, first aid kit, tire tools, plugs for tubliss system and pump in green bag, spares (epoxy, zip tyes, wire ,etc), and tool roll.

The left side bag was packed with the following:

From left to right: Clothes in yellow and black compression bag: travel pants with zip off legs, T-shirt, thermal top and bottoms, down vest, two undies and two pair of socks, brown compression sack: Bibler bivy sack and down quilt, after riding shoes.

This load pretty much filled the bag with enough room for a sandwich bag of rice, more electrolytes or something equally squish-able and small.

Another pic to show the bags and the R15. Keep in mind I'm 5'6" when judging the size of the R15. A note is that I could also wear the R3 Kriega fanny pack underneath the R15 if needed. You can see in this pic the Camlock over the seat buckle on the Overlander system just about under my arse and this is with the bags mounted as far rearward as possible on a KTM 500.

This Karen hill tribe lady we met on the trip wanted to trade her bamboo head basket for the Kriega R15. When I asked what she was smoking in her pipe she threatened to cut the R15 off my back with her machete. I'm guessing she thought the Kriega suspension system was a step up from her bamboo head band carrying system. Though she also wanted two zipper pulls.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

Flood screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:05 AM Reason: malware removed.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #933
fmxbrawlerz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Michael, hopefully I will be getting in touch with you regarding the Overland 30 in the next couple months.

FTB thank you for all the pictures, and especially for showing the detail of what your packing.

Has anyone tried using two 5 liters as tank panniers yet? I seen the picture that Michael put up but haven't seen anyone show some options and pictures.

I had a concern regarding the post I seen of the us tank with a us 5 on it. The clips in the back to undo the straps for filling up looked like they are right where the inside of your thighs would be. Has anyone using this noticed the clips on the inside of there legs when riding? Is it possible to turn the us tank around and un-clip from the front?

Thanks,
Ronnie
fmxbrawlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #934
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:

This trip instead of packing my traditional tarp and hammock i went with a bivy sack and down quilt to save a little space since packing space in the Overlander 30 bags is a little tight compared to the GL Coyote. This worked out well (though I would prefer the ability to pack the hammock) and was able to pack clothes, camp shoes, bivy sack and quilt in the bag on the left since its bulkier; and packed tools, spares, small first aid, water filter, and food in the exhaust side bag since it packs narrower. Ideally I would like to see some additional liter capacity added to the overlander 30 bags that if not used could be compressed with the compression straps yet is there if you need it. Something like seven or eight extra liters each side would be nice for my use.

So if I understand it correctly, the rackless system limits the bag size to around 15 liter per side
If you want more carrying capacity on the rear you have to start stacking it on top

But a US10 on the rear fender could be hitting you on the butt when offroading/standing.

bill1960 screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 02:02 AM
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #935
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

My primary reason for choosing the Overlander 30 system was so that I would not have a load on the rear fender. Being short its awkward at best for me to sling a leg over large rear fender loads. The Overlander 30 looked like it would solve my needs by carrying the GL Coyote load in the saddlebags. Twas a bit of a rude awakening for me to discover the Kriega and GiantLoop stated 30 liter capacities are not the same.

Yes I can add another Kriega pack to the rear seat which will add needed capacity. However then I have to access three different bags and straps to access my load versus one large zipper on the Coyote. The upside is that the Kriega bag systems are waterproof which is something the Coyote fails to achieve.

I don't like the GL Dry pods as they fail to compress the loads which is important for me to minimize a load (hammock, tarp, down quilts, and clothes). I used my own waterproof compression bags inside the Coyote to keep the important bits from getting wet and this solved the issues of keeping important things dry and compressing the load. Sadly the Coyote will still take on water when crossing deep rivers and more importantly the water was not draining out of the Coyote. If it drained I would not have any issues with the Coyote. I was going to drill two 1/8" holes in the bottom of the Coyote sides to solve this issue but sold the Coyote and obtained the Overlander 30 bags instead.

As I've stated a few extra liters on the Overlanders would be appreciated but the Kriega testers say it won't work. Being a stubborn bastard I would indeed like to test bags with a bit more capacity as the reason for saying it won't work is it impedes upon the rider ergonimics, risks getting torn off and effects the bikes handling. Well the Coyote stuck out a few more inches with its added capacity and I even used the Coyote bag itself to pick up my 525 numerous times without it ripping off the bike. An added Kriega bag on the rear fender to increase capacity will generate the same concerns of impeding on rider ergonomics and negatively effect the bike handling so not sure how a slightly bigger saddlebag is any worse than an additional 15 liter bag being strapped to the rear fender However it will keep the rear seat clear and carry the weight lower.

Micheal i hope you understand these are purely my thoughts and desires and nothing more Just another rider looking for the perfect system for carrying my gear off road. Do you have any customers that utilize the Overlander 30 bags by themselves with no rear seat luggage?

Flood screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:02 AM Reason: malware removed
Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #936
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,689
Team FTB just described why I wouldve preferred to see Kriega come up with a harness to use their US20 bags rather than reinvent the wheel with a smaller bag.
Sorry, Michael, I'll duck now
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #937
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
Just back from a week in Colorado (pics to follow). Two days of pouring rain followed by three days of off and on rain. Everything in my Kriega OL30, US10 and US5 with US Tank Adaptor stayed dry the entire time!

traveltoad screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 07:54 AM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #938
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,961
sticking my head in the thread... Thanks Kreiga US for the support! I can say from this thread that Michael at Kriega US has to be one of the best customer support related companies I have seen.. saw on Facebook they have a special going right now..

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #939
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Team FTB just described why I wouldve preferred to see Kriega come up with a harness to use their US20 bags rather than reinvent the wheel with a smaller bag.
Sorry, Michael, I'll duck now

Haha! Only joking!

Hello again mate!

As explained previously, the issue with that would not be developing the harness that the US packs could attach to, but rather that the design, materials and construction of a side bag (Overlander) has - out of absolute necessity -to be quite different to that of a tail pack (US-XX).

That said, don't rule out the introduction of a larger 'saddle bag' system at some point (Dom & Mike have a long list of stuff they want to work on, but only the pair of them can do it). It would be different in style and primary usage to the Overlander 30 (for the reasons outlined to FTB), but could well fill that niche.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #940
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
sticking my head in the thread... Thanks Kreiga US for the support! I can say from this thread that Michael at Kriega US has to be one of the best customer support related companies I have seen.. saw on Facebook they have a special going right now..

Cheers, Mike!

Always a pleasure helping someone as hard-working and passionate - not to mention personable (and QUICK!) as yourself.

That special is actually aimed at the general public, who I generally have to charge for shipping. Inmates can always get that deal by PMing me here or emailing via www.kriega.us (including your ADV handle for reference) me for a code.

The public promo runs until the end of the month, so during that time, I'll be adding a free gift to any Inmate orders. Just add a note containing your handle to the order.

Thanks to everyone! Having the trust of such as well-schooled and experienced bunch as you lot means a great deal to me.

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #941
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

I forgot to state that despite Monsoon rains pounding down on the kit, each time I opened the Overlander 30 bags everything was dry and muck free inside the bags. Good stuff. I'm sure Traveltoad will have some pics demonstrating they held off the pouring rains of Colorado also.

The Overlander 30 bags and the R15 pack all nice and clean at the beginning of the trip. I'm using the R15 a lot even on my day rides and am continually impressed with the harness system for the Kriega backpacks allowing one to don and remove the pack over bulky armor with no issues. Very nice.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #942
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Hi Mike,

Is there any more news about that “Dakar” tail pack?

I'm very satisfied with the Hydropack H3 + bumbag R8 combination for enduro rides. It holds 3l of water, spare shirt/socks, tools, food, knife, saw, mobile phone, photo camera, keys, wallet, small first aid kit.
The same load will fit inside the R25 but it's too cumbersome and warming for terrain riding.

P.S.
FTB,
Are those new Klim pants? Are they worth the money? Are they baggy?
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #943
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Balkan Boy - Off topic so we'll make it quick. Yes they are Klim Baja's, the best vented pants by far and I've tried them all. These are I believe the 2012 model year (i own four pair of different colors). Tip don't buy orange if you have a concern about color fading, the pigment fades quickly.

I find the Klims are roomier (baggy) than other brands and from my experience the later models are even roomier than ones manufactured a few years earlier.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #944
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Eh?

Send me an email and - if the four D-rings aren't enough for what you have in mind - hopefully we can figure something out.

Michael
Sentcha a PM
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #945
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
Quote:
Balkan Boy - Off topic so we'll make it quick. Yes they are Klim Baja's, the best vented pants by far and I've tried them all. These are I believe the 2012 model year (i own four pair of different colors). Tip don't buy orange if you have a concern about color fading, the pigment fades quickly.

I find the Klims are roomier (baggy) than other brands and from my experience the later models are even roomier than ones manufactured a few years earlier.
+1

back to regular programming...
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote