Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #946
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I'm sure Traveltoad will have some pics demonstrating they held off the pouring rains of Colorado also.
As ftb has stated, the OL30, US10 and US5 are fantastic at keeping the water out. Each of the three kept all my gear completely dry. I was even so bold as to pack my sleeping bag and iPad in the US10 without any sort of inner, protective plastic.

I even "tested" each side of my OL30 differently this trip. I brought camping gear with me to CO, however with all the rain (and there was lots of it) I pussed out and stayed in motels.

So the left bag was opened each night to get at my clothes, while the right bag stayed packed the entire time with my camping gear inside (I did slide my shoes in and out without removing anything else). After three days of almost solid rain and two more days of showers (including some very heavy downpours) neither side let any water in. Not even a little. Same was true for the US5 mounted on the US Tank Adaptor and the US10 on the tail rack.
Not all of these photos are of me/my bike, but these guys rode with me for a few days so we were in the same conditions.

traveltoad screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 03:43 PM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #947
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxbrawlerz View Post
I had a concern regarding the post I seen of the us tank with a us 5 on it. The clips in the back to undo the straps for filling up looked like they are right where the inside of your thighs would be. Has anyone using this noticed the clips on the inside of there legs when riding? Is it possible to turn the us tank around and un-clip from the front?

Thanks,
Ronnie
Hi Ronnie,

The clips on the US Tank should not be where you would put your thighs. While the US Tank was designed primarily for street and larger Dual Sports / Adventure Tourers - it also works fine on most smaller dirt bikes due to the positioning being adjustable. It would also be possible to rotate the base plate 180 degrees if desired. But you would need an additional set of Loop Straps to replace the Velcro ones and a spot to tie them onto on the frame of the bike.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 03:19 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #948
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation on why two zipper pulls are not utilized. Inconvenient but I understand the benefits which all make sense. During my ride in the pics above we had rains and the interior of the pack had let in enough water to soak everything. Not a horrid issue as I know the pack is not waterproof so pack accordingly. Good news was no mud got through.

Was the Overlander 30 designed for multi day adventure riding? The reason i ask is bought the Overlander 30 specifically for that reason to replace my GL Coyote and wondering if I may have made some incorrect assumptions by assuming it could swallow enough gear. Curious what Dom packs for his multi day rides on his KTM 300 that fits into the Overlander 30 system as maybe I can learn a few things.

I pack fairly minimal for my travels and so prospective Overlander 30 buyers can have an idea of what fits in the bags this is what I packed for my last 3 day trip with the Overlander 30 and how much space, if any, was left over.

This was packed in the exhaust side bag as it packs narrower, I had about 2 liters of space left over in the bag.

Left column from the top is: dried pork, dried mangoes, (not pictured was a back of cooked sticky rice), toiletries, water filter. Right column is electrolytes, first aid kit, tire tools, plugs for tubliss system and pump in green bag, spares (epoxy, zip tyes, wire ,etc), and tool roll.

The left side bag was packed with the following:

From left to right: Clothes in yellow and black compression bag: travel pants with zip off legs, T-shirt, thermal top and bottoms, down vest, two undies and two pair of socks, brown compression sack: Bibler bivy sack and down quilt, after riding shoes.

This load pretty much filled the bag with enough room for a sandwich bag of rice, more electrolytes or something equally squish-able and small.

Another pic to show the bags and the R15. Keep in mind I'm 5'6" when judging the size of the R15. A note is that I could also wear the R3 Kriega fanny pack underneath the R15 if needed. You can see in this pic the Camlock over the seat buckle on the Overlander system just about under my arse and this is with the bags mounted as far rearward as possible on a KTM 500.

This Karen hill tribe lady we met on the trip wanted to trade her bamboo head basket for the Kriega R15. When I asked what she was smoking in her pipe she threatened to cut the R15 off my back with her machete. I'm guessing she thought the Kriega suspension system was a step up from her bamboo head band carrying system. Though she also wanted two zipper pulls.

Love it!

BritKit LLC
Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #949
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
My primary reason for choosing the Overlander 30 system was so that I would not have a load on the rear fender. Being short its awkward at best for me to sling a leg over large rear fender loads. The Overlander 30 looked like it would solve my needs by carrying the GL Coyote load in the saddlebags. Twas a bit of a rude awakening for me to discover the Kriega and GiantLoop stated 30 liter capacities are not the same.

Yes I can add another Kriega pack to the rear seat which will add needed capacity. However then I have to access three different bags and straps to access my load versus one large zipper on the Coyote. The upside is that the Kriega bag systems are waterproof which is something the Coyote fails to achieve.

I don't like the GL Dry pods as they fail to compress the loads which is important for me to minimize a load (hammock, tarp, down quilts, and clothes). I used my own waterproof compression bags inside the Coyote to keep the important bits from getting wet and this solved the issues of keeping important things dry and compressing the load. Sadly the Coyote will still take on water when crossing deep rivers and more importantly the water was not draining out of the Coyote. If it drained I would not have any issues with the Coyote. I was going to drill two 1/8" holes in the bottom of the Coyote sides to solve this issue but sold the Coyote and obtained the Overlander 30 bags instead.

As I've stated a few extra liters on the Overlanders would be appreciated but the Kriega testers say it won't work. Being a stubborn bastard I would indeed like to test bags with a bit more capacity as the reason for saying it won't work is it impedes upon the rider ergonimics, risks getting torn off and effects the bikes handling. Well the Coyote stuck out a few more inches with its added capacity and I even used the Coyote bag itself to pick up my 525 numerous times without it ripping off the bike. An added Kriega bag on the rear fender to increase capacity will generate the same concerns of impeding on rider ergonomics and negatively effect the bike handling so not sure how a slightly bigger saddlebag is any worse than an additional 15 liter bag being strapped to the rear fender However it will keep the rear seat clear and carry the weight lower.

Micheal i hope you understand these are purely my thoughts and desires and nothing more Just another rider looking for the perfect system for carrying my gear off road. Do you have any customers that utilize the Overlander 30 bags by themselves with no rear seat luggage?

I hear you, mate and am sure that if Dom can come up with a way to enable more capacity on bikes that are not really designed to carry luggage, he will. At the moment, the Overlander 30 (with optional US tailpacks) is his best shot, but that's not to say he isn't still searching for something that can be all things to all riders of all machines. I'll let you know if he cracks it!

With regard to the Overlander 15 packs being used as a tail pack. This option is really more for owners of the Overlander 60, who may remove one of the packs to fit RotopaX cans in its place. It just gives them the option to still utilize the 'spare' pack if they like. This works well on larger machines or ones with racks, but our US Packs are - in general - better in this role, due to being designed specifically for it.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 03:20 PM
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #950
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
So if I understand it correctly, the rackless system limits the bag size to around 15 liter per side
If you want more carrying capacity on the rear you have to start stacking it on top

But a US10 on the rear fender could be hitting you on the butt when offroading/standing.
Yep. The frameless fit system used in the Overlander 30 only attaches to our 15-liter Overlander pannier bags. I'm sure a larger capacity system could have been developed (and may well be at some point), but the Overlander 30 was designed to facilitate this level of nonsense:

...And if one's riding like that, one pretty much has to to travel light. But if hauling a fair bit more gear on your bike is a priority, a wee bit more restraint might have to be used.

Adding US Packs to the tail may indeed increase the chances of your butt making contact with it on more gnarly sections or steep downhills, but that's a pretty much unavoidable trade-off for carrying more than 30 liters (as it stands) of cargo on technical routes. At least with the fender mount, the additional pack is as far out of the way as its realistically possible.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 03:21 PM
Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #951
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
As ftb has stated, the OL30, US10 and US5 are fantastic at keeping the water out. Each of the three kept all my gear completely dry. I was even so bold as to pack my sleeping bag and iPad in the US10 without any sort of inner, protective plastic.

I even "tested" each side of my OL30 differently this trip. I brought camping gear with me to CO, however with all the rain (and there was lots of it) I pussed out and stayed in motels.

So the left bag was opened each night to get at my clothes, while the right bag stayed packed the entire time with my camping gear inside (I did slide my shoes in and out without removing anything else). After three days of almost solid rain and two more days of showers (including some very heavy downpours) neither side let any water in. Not even a little. Same was true for the US5 mounted on the US Tank Adaptor and the US10 on the tail rack.
Not all of these photos are of me/my bike, but these guys rode with me for a few days so we were in the same conditions.

There ya go!

Also; for some reason, I never get tired of photos of bikes in motel rooms.

BritKit LLC
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #952
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Rally Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Hi Mike,

Is there any more news about that “Dakar” tail pack?
Sneaky peaky!

That's my old mate, Rees from Leeds, on his way to first place in the 625cc class during the Greek Serres Rally.

Pack (attached - with Rack Loop style fixtures - to the rear fender of Rees' bike in the pic) is in production at the moment and should be in the stores toward the end of the year.

BritKit LLC
Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #953
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,174
Thanks Mike, for supporting Mike Gaynor <-- I think that is just top notch.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #954
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Hey all!

Not sure if I'm reinventing the wheel here or if it should be obvious, but looking at my US-20 it appears it would be easy to expand the external storage using the available d-rings shown here:

I'm thinking of using lashing straps such as these to strap my tent on one side and my mattress on the other:

Which brings me to the ones on the front and back:

Anyone found creative uses for these yet?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #955
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Thumb Overlander 60

Just returned from 5 days in Colorado, 50% off road on an F800GS. I love the lightness and simplicity of the Kriega Overlander 60. It worked great for me on the trip. I did not have any heavy rains, but did have a few wet water crossings and everything stayed dry. Dropped the bike 3 times and the Kriega worked as an excellent protection device. Dropping did slightly bend one can of chili I had in my bags, but it did not break open. The main reasons I went for the Overlander 60 are that:

1. Light weight compared to hard boxes.
2. Fear of injuring my foot or ankle on hard boxes (on this last trip, there were two times my boot hooked on a rock and I felt my ankle catch back to the soft luggage....glad it was not a box).
3. I don't always need storage for 5 days...I can use the Overlander 60 for a day trip and not feel overloaded.
4. Provides a bit of support in tip overs and don't dent up like hard cans. I had one fall on my last trip that broke my gear shift lever and would have probably resulted in broken cans if I had hard boxes.

Below are a few pics of my recent trip....for a full ride report go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923616

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers - Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #956
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Nice!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #957
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Hey all!

Not sure if I'm reinventing the wheel here or if it should be obvious, but looking at my US-20 it appears it would be easy to expand the external storage using the available d-rings shown here:

I'm thinking of using lashing straps such as these to strap my tent on one side and my mattress on the other:

Which brings me to the ones on the front and back:

Anyone found creative uses for these yet?
Yep - that's definitely do-able... on the older versions of the US-10 and 20 packs that had the rings on them (US-30 still does).

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #958
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
Just returned from 5 days in Colorado, 50% off road on an F800GS. I love the lightness and simplicity of the Kriega Overlander 60. It worked great for me on the trip. I did not have any heavy rains, but did have a few wet water crossings and everything stayed dry. Dropped the bike 3 times and the Kriega worked as an excellent protection device. Dropping did slightly bend one can of chili I had in my bags, but it did not break open. The main reasons I went for the Overlander 60 are that:

1. Light weight compared to hard boxes.
2. Fear of injuring my foot or ankle on hard boxes (on this last trip, there were two times my boot hooked on a rock and I felt my ankle catch back to the soft luggage....glad it was not a box).
3. I don't always need storage for 5 days...I can use the Overlander 60 for a day trip and not feel overloaded.
4. Provides a bit of support in tip overs and don't dent up like hard cans. I had one fall on my last trip that broke my gear shift lever and would have probably resulted in broken cans if I had hard boxes.

Below are a few pics of my recent trip....for a full ride report go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923616

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers - Pangia

Aye; what traveltoad said!

Looks like a great ride - glad we could play our small part in it not going pear-shaped.

Thanks for sharing the pics, too.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #959
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Thanks Mike, for supporting Mike Gaynor <-- I think that is just top notch.
Good people attract good things, chief!

BritKit LLC
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #960
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,422
The more I use my US20, the more I like it. Took off my WM saddle bags and racks, threw on the Kriega pack and put almost everything that was in the saddle bags into the US10. Strapped down tight this pack will not move.

Me thinks the Overlanders will be my next purchase. Really the quality of this gear is amazing. Absolutely taking this pack to Moab next week.

Great pics Pangia

AteamNM screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 11:02 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote