Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #1006
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Back from my long weekend and still trying to think of how to use the Tank ADapter on my WRR.

Here's the tank/seat. I sit pretty far back. The big thing is I'd rather not have to remove to get gas for a variety of reasons.

And, here's the tank adapter laid out. It's pretty damn big on this bike, and looks like it'd take up too much seat space, but I think it'll work fine.

Biggest problem is there isn't anywhere to run the rear straps since they cover part of the seat. Any thoughts?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #1007
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Let's see a pic of the side of the bike.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #1008
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Let's see a pic of the side of the bike.
I could stick the velcro patches on the white panel, but that's just hokey. There's not really anywhere to put the straps. It might not work.

1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #1009
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I received my US 20/10 bags tonight. Too dark to try 'em out tonight but I'll be on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast service, Michael.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #1010
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I could stick the velcro patches on the white panel, but that's just hokey. There's not really anywhere to put the straps. It might not work.

Any way you could mount the adaptor farther forward and closer to the steer stem, then the rear straps could possibly attach around the frame rails near the shock resevoir??
Then just use the quick release buckles for fueling.

Cheers
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #1011
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Think im on to something but i gotta get to work. Quit screwing around! Still needs some velcro surgery on the top straps. Rather not use the velcro on top but it might be only choice.

1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #1012
traveltoad
Aaron S

Just for the hell of it... move it forward, over the fuel filler, just to see...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #1013
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Jim, ditch the tank adapter. Get some longer straps, run the rearward one under the seat. For the front, cut a strap in half. Run each end between the tank and the plastic and find a bolt under there you can attach it to. Burn a hole in it and run a bolt through it.

Done, cleaner, tidier, no need for the tank adapter.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #1014
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
US20 on a 1200 GS with a GSA Rack

Hi Michael,

I've waded through this thread and the googles but can't find an answer to probably an easy question. I have the US20 and used it this summer for several months, trips and daily commuting. I mount the bag on the rear of a GSA rack, on my oil-1200 GS. The bag is a really excellent piece of kit.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to attach the bag to the GSA rack securely. I don't have a rear seat on the bike so I have to rely on the rack to attach luggage.

To mount the US20, I wrap and buckle the loop straps around the rack several times and then cinch the bag down using the other straps that have alloy hooks. This method does not fill me with much confidence - as sometimes the alloy hook(s) will easily slide off the loop. I was searching this thread for ideas on how to make the connection a bit more secure, but didn't see anything.

I'm thinking of getting another US20 to mount on one of my OEM BMW/Touratech panniers (two US20s side by side), but I'm not sure if I'll run into the same mounting issue.

Any insight?
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #1015
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
To mount the US20, I wrap and buckle the loop straps around the rack several times and then cinch the bag down using the other straps that have alloy hooks. This method does not fill me with much confidence - as sometimes the alloy hook(s) will easily slide off the loop. I was searching this thread for ideas on how to make the connection a bit more secure, but didn't see anything.
If it is one of the newer US20 bags (that came with the Alloy Hooks), you should be able to skip the loop straps.

The under side of the bag has a loop attached:

Find a place to hook it through your rack:

And secure with the Alloy Hook:
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #1016
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

I always hated those alloy hooks. They are large, clumsy and if they get loose they will bang into your plastic and scratch it. Plus, there is no closure, so they can potentially come unhooked if loose.

also, all 4 have their open side in the same direction. IE on one side of the bike they will be open towards the rear, the other side they will be open towards the front.

If they get loose, that's the side that may come unhooked from a burst of wind in just the right place.

Happened to me once.

These are a much better design. Michael, how about switching to something like this?

another brand, same design pretty much.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #1017
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that approach when I first bought the US20 but found that idea more fiddly than using the alloys with loop straps permanently buckled to the rack.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the open alloy hooks, especially when the bag needs to be removed and mounted more than once a day.BTW I use zip ties for long trips when the bag stays on the bike for longer periods.

Still a great product tho. .
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #1018
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I always hated those alloy hooks. They are large, clumsy and if they get loose they will bang into your plastic and scratch it. Plus, there is no closure, so they can potentially come unhooked if loose.

also, all 4 have their open side in the same direction. IE on one side of the bike they will be open towards the rear, the other side they will be open towards the front.

If they get loose, that's the side that may come unhooked from a burst of wind in just the right place.

Happened to me once.

These are a much better design. Michael, how about switching to something like this?

another brand, same design pretty much.

Who are they by?
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1019
traveltoad
Aaron S

Old 11-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #1020
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Who are they by?
First one is by Tom Bihn, second one is by mindshift.

The gated clips are usually called gatekeeper clips.