Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #1021
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
On a 1200GS

Not as muddy as the KTM dude :) Nice shot BTW

I used the US20 a lot this past summer. For weekend trips, I would keep my tent, Helios chair and a couple of other sundry campng items in the bag. When I reached the campsite, all of that would come out of the bag (the garbage cans would come off, too). Then I'd replace the camping gear with day trip items. This system worked great for me.

I buckled the thinner straps on to the rack and connected the bag to those with the alloy hooks. I'm still a little nervous using these open-ended alloy hooks, but long as there was tension on the straps, I didn't encounter a problem with the hooks losing the bag.

P1030835

P1040240
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #1022
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
What tent are you using that's fits inside the US-20?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #1023
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
Looking at the Overlander 30 for a KTM 990 Adventure. Want something light and frameless. I havent been able to find any pictures of this system mounted on 950/990 Adventure. Any of you have this system on the big Katoom?

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #1024
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
What tent are you using that's fits inside the US-20?
An old two-man Sierra Designs three season tent. I take it out of its bag and stuff the tent and bag into the US20 along with the Helios chair, with room for some small camping items. I have a cut down tarp as a groundsheet, I roll the tent poles inside of the tarp (folding over the ends of the roll so the poles don't slip out) and tie that to the back of the rack with Rokstraps or those Touratech straps. The two man is big enough for my bed - a lightweight cot, backpacking Thermarest and down bag, it takes up half the tent. A little cramped and I'll be buying a slightly larger tent next year. I think the US20 will be able to handle a slightly larger tent.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #1025
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearscotty View Post
Heh michael, question for you. I just bought the overlander 30 for my ktm 690 r and it looks perfect. However, after looking at it, it got me thinking. I traveled about 25k last year to alaska and central america 2 up. Most of the time i have a hard time keeping the front wheel down under acceleration, so i have been looking for a way to transfer some of my heavier weight up front? Buying a second set and using an overlander 30 as a tank pannier set might be just the ticket. Has anyone tried this, maybe using two tank adaptors?
Hi mate,

I'm not aware of anyone having tried this out, however, the Overlander packs will fit to the US Tank - it's just a question of whether they interfere with your riding position and how much weight you intended to load them with.m You might need to switch out the straps to something like our Cam Straps be sure there's on slippage, and can't say for sure how much vertical weight the stitching on the web loops of the US Tank can support.

Sadly, I don't have a 690 at my disposal (although I am hoping to remedy that situation within the next 12 months! ), so I can't check, but I'll ask Dom to see how it works on his Enduro R and let you know as soon as I hear back.

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1026
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Think im on to something but i gotta get to work. Quit screwing around! Still needs some velcro surgery on the top straps. Rather not use the velcro on top but it might be only choice.

You are onto something... And hopefully here's the missing link:

PM me your address and I'll send you a second set of the Loops Straps (just like the ones you've transferred from the front of the base plate to the rear).

On Enduro and MX-style dirt bikes, we supply them as an alternative to the Velcro straps, which are really designed for big ADV machines and regular street bikes.

And, yeah: give covering the filler cap a go. It will buy you precious seat space and gassing up is no big deal at all with the QR clips.

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 04:11 PM
Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #1027
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
Not as muddy as the KTM dude :) Nice shot BTW

I used the US20 a lot this past summer. For weekend trips, I would keep my tent, Helios chair and a couple of other sundry campng items in the bag. When I reached the campsite, all of that would come out of the bag (the garbage cans would come off, too). Then I'd replace the camping gear with day trip items. This system worked great for me.

I buckled the thinner straps on to the rack and connected the bag to those with the alloy hooks. I'm still a little nervous using these open-ended alloy hooks, but long as there was tension on the straps, I didn't encounter a problem with the hooks losing the bag.

P1030835

P1040240
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. For some reason, I've not been getting the usual email alerts when a post is made.

Any ways... The set-up you have there is about right. All I'd suggest is shortening the subframe loops as much as possible. Or repositioning them in a different slot on the rack, so that they are as close to - or even beneath - the base of the pack. When loaded and cinched down as tight as possible, they absolutely will not move.

I trust my pretty expensive laptop, Micro 4/3 camera and lenses (plus other bits and pieces that I don't want to take a hit in the panniers if I drop the bike) to the exact same set-up on my 990 on a lot of trips. When she's on the bike, the missus even uses it as a backrest and not once has it come loose. But you must be sure to 'lock off' the subframe loops (thread the loose end of the webbing back through the buckle a second time), as shown in the instructions.

Likewise, no issue using them as pannier toppers. Same procedure as a rack mount, although you might like to also consider the Overlander 15 packs for this application.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 05:57 PM
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #1028
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I received my US 20/10 bags tonight. Too dark to try 'em out tonight but I'll be on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast service, Michael.
No worries, chief!

Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

BritKit LLC
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #1029
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
Looking at the Overlander 30 for a KTM 990 Adventure. Want something light and frameless. I havent been able to find any pictures of this system mounted on 950/990 Adventure. Any of you have this system on the big Katoom?
Embarrassing story...

I own a 990 and haven't even had chance to fit them to it.

I haven't seen anyone else post photos either, but - because the 990 is essentially just an overgrown dirt bike - they will work very well. Although it would be wise to get or make an muffler guard (or two depending on whether you have dual or 2-1 pipes) like this to act as a spacer and prevent the side panels contacting the exhaust. I run these anyway after melting a panel when the bike took a nap a while back.

I'll whack em on my bike as soon as I can and post photos, but in the meantime, you might also like to consider a US-30 or combo of US packs. They'll mount to the passenger seat, or a rack if you have one and / or have a passenger onboard, to provide the same capacity (or more) and a lower price, with more flexibility.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #1030
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
I always hated those alloy hooks. They are large, clumsy and if they get loose they will bang into your plastic and scratch it. Plus, there is no closure, so they can potentially come unhooked if loose.

also, all 4 have their open side in the same direction. IE on one side of the bike they will be open towards the rear, the other side they will be open towards the front.

If they get loose, that's the side that may come unhooked from a burst of wind in just the right place.

Happened to me once.

These are a much better design. Michael, how about switching to something like this?

another brand, same design pretty much.

I'll bat this over to Dom and see what's what, but I'm sure there's a reason the hooks are made of 6061-T6 aluminum, as opposed to plastic.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #1031
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
I'll bat this over to Dom and see what's what, but I'm sure there's a reason the hooks are made of 6061-T6 aluminum, as opposed to plastic.

Cheers,

Michael
Probably because that was what was available in the catelog of the strap and buckle supplier he used and he thought it looked really cool, which it does

But don't tell us it's due to strength, because the other end of that strap is plastic. Same grade as the gatekeeper plastic.

Kind of a weakest link in teh chain scenario, have all of them 6061 aluminum and then one of the plastic doesn't really make it sound.

It's milspec and the ones I had were rated to 300lb break strength. The Tom Bihn straps (he makes really nice luggage) are used for the shoulder carry strap for their bags, so they will hold a bag (whose weight is on a rack or bike seat) just fine.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #1032
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Probably because that was what was available in the catelog of the strap and buckle supplier he used and he thought it looked really cool, which it does
Mate. That's little off-colo[u]r. The Kriega lads don't operate in that way. They will always use what they believe to be the correct material for that particular application and never reverse engineer anything.

The rest of your points are duly noted.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #1033
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Mate. That's little off-colo[u]r. The Kriega lads don't operate in that way. They will always use what they believe to be the correct material for that particular application and never reverse engineer anything.

The rest of your points are duly noted.

Cheers,

Michael
I didn't mean to imply anything, but perhaps while researching buckles he came across these cool aluminum hooks and just had to have em on his new product. Nothing wrong with that, I would have done the same most likely.

But nowadays you can have the same concept, with a locking gate.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #1034
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Likewise, no issue using them as pannier toppers. Same procedure as a rack mount, although you might like to also consider the Overlander 15 packs for this application.
Cheers,
Michael
This past weekend, I experimented with the US20 as a pannier topper, you're correct, it is a little too big for that application.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #1035
bigbearscotty
Scott

Oddometer: 5
I'm not aware of anyone having tried this out, however, the Overlander packs will fit to the US Tank - it's just a question of whether they interfere with your riding position and how much weight you intended to load them with.m You might need to switch out the straps to something like our Cam Straps be sure there's on slippage, and can't say for sure how much vertical weight the stitching on the web loops of the US Tank can support.

Sadly, I don't have a 690 at my disposal (although I am hoping to remedy that situation within the next 12 months! ), so I can't check, but I'll ask Dom to see how it works on his Enduro R and let you know as soon as I hear back.

Michael, i forgot to mention the most crucial part. I got the 30 overlanders for the ktm 690. However, the bike i have been riding 25k in the last year 2 up and was thinking about using another set as tank panniers is a 1200 gs adventure. Maybe this changes your opinion a little. You must have thought i was crazy traveling 2 up on a 690r 25 thousand miles!
bigbearscotty is offline   Reply With Quote