Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Once again... Hooray for Kriega!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1067
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Better times with the Kriega kit. Doing an offroad trip around the perimeter of Cambodia sorting out the highs and lows of the bits. I'm using the R15 pack to hold my laptop, 3 liters of water and some bits and bobs. The way the harness system mounts has been a boon to get over my bulky chest protector and carries the weight quite comfortably. The R3 fanny pack worn with the pack in the back, even on my short frame (along with the R15 was a nice surprise as I was concerned my short torso would make it quite a challenge), keeps my vital insulin meter, insulin, passport, money, phone etc. all dry in the swamps and bogs of South East Asia.

The Overlander 30 has been giving me some issues but hopefully Micheal and i can rectify the situation. You can see the rack loop Camlok has slipped here allowing the left rear bag to sag a bit and develop some slop.

Hats of to Micheal acknowledging that Kriega is designed to perform and function well in adverse environments and a little mud here and there should not cause the equipment to malfunction.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #1068
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Thing is, each component was designed specifically to deal with with full-on 'muck n bullets', so it cant be that. Having now had a closer look at some other photos, it seems that the cam may have been damaged at some point, so we'll replace that and hopefully solve the mystery.
Hopefully it does. Gotta say tho, from all the pics I've seen from team ftb that mud looks extra slimy over there!! I'm not doubting the Kriega buckle at all tho.. just that the mud looks like to brown grease!! Great customer service btw (as always)
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #1069
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Love your photos and posts. Kriega should be using you as a product tester in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Better times with the Kriega kit. Doing an offroad trip around the perimeter of Cambodia sorting out the highs and lows of the bits. I'm using the R15 pack to hold my laptop, 3 liters of water and some bits and bobs. The way the harness system mounts has been a boon to get over my bulky chest protector and carries the weight quite comfortably. The R3 fanny pack worn with the pack in the back, even on my short frame (along with the R15 was a nice surprise as I was concerned my short torso would make it quite a challenge), keeps my vital insulin meter, insulin, passport, money, phone etc. all dry in the swamps and bogs of South East Asia.

The Overlander 30 has been giving me some issues but hopefully Micheal and i can rectify the situation. You can see the rack loop Camlok has slipped here allowing the left rear bag to sag a bit and develop some slop.

Hats of to Micheal acknowledging that Kriega is designed to perform and function well in adverse environments and a little mud here and there should not cause the equipment to malfunction.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #1070
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Any recommendations for heat shields to clamp onto the exhaust to stop the plastics from melting while using the Overlander 30 setup? I've drilled my fender and mounted the pucks, but I need to get a heat shield before I'm ready to roll. The Giant Loop one looks decent, just wondering what else is out there?

Giant Loop Hot Springs Heat Shield:
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #1071
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
I haven't seen any other heatshields. What I did was take some heatproof material and cut to the shape of the outer edge of the Overlander and slapped it on there with some 3M double sticky. Still on after 2400 mi. But the Akra on my 690 isn't flame thrower hot either.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #1072
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Have GL changed their heat shield? The one I have is a different design.. Its chromed with a sticker in it.. That one looks like a medieval piece of hardware!! Looks tough tho.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #1073
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Will Kriega make one Michael?
'82 Suzuki DR250 - dead
Old 12-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #1074
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,244
Using the Kriega Hydro 3 during the Baja 1000 this year I also attached my trusty and well used Cube. I am suprised actually how very reflecive the kit is.. thanks for keeping us safe as well as cool !

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #1075
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
Any recommendations for heat shields to clamp onto the exhaust to stop the plastics from melting while using the Overlander 30 setup? I've drilled my fender and mounted the pucks, but I need to get a heat shield before I'm ready to roll.
I have been using these muffler sliders for a few years... been fantastic.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #1076
swooshdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46

Is it possible to just get one of these clasps? If you promise not to ask how I broke it I promise not to tell you how I did.

swooshdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #1077
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono_777 View Post
Hopefully it does. Gotta say tho, from all the pics I've seen from team ftb that mud looks extra slimy over there!! I'm not doubting the Kriega buckle at all tho.. just that the mud looks like to brown grease!! Great customer service btw (as always)
Sir Jono- Indeed the geology of Northern Thailand and Lao lead to the undoing of us all with it's slippery clay that's like riding on glass covered in Vaseline, just awful. Cambodia thankfully has a more sandy texture which is a welcome change. Years ago during the Vietnam war The US bombed Lao and Cambodia with bombs that would disperse a slippery jelly like substance to make the dirts roads soooo slippery it was unnavigable by vehicle. At times I swear I come across patches of the stuff to this day.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #1078
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Love your photos and posts. Kriega should be using you as a product tester in the future
Thank you. Like you, I enjoy others posting of experiences and journeys through this sport we all love. It helps us learn and pass time during the down time between trips.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #1079
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
Any recommendations for heat shields to clamp onto the exhaust to stop the plastics from melting while using the Overlander 30 setup? I've drilled my fender and mounted the pucks, but I need to get a heat shield before I'm ready to roll. The Giant Loop one looks decent, just wondering what else is out there?

Giant Loop Hot Springs Heat Shield:

That's the one I'm utilizing on two bikes for carrying luggage. Simple and effective and has been reliable for the years I've been using them with no issues. I like that it has a larger surface area than the donut shaped versions which I think is beneficial when laying a saddlebag on the side of the numberplate.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #1080
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

R15 + R3 used together

Got a couple PM's and emails asking for pics of the bags on myself. Sorry to say no real good pics.

The R15 and R3 I was worried with being a tight fit on my smaller torso (5'5"). However in reality they fit together with no issues. It is a tight fit, however it ended up working fine. I would put the R3 fanny pack on first then sling the R15 on top of my head and down onto my back from above. This planted the R15 on top of the R3.

Another pic but keep in mind because of my position of drinking from the river the R15 has slid up my back roughly four inches.

I can't help but wonder if resting the R15 on top of the R3 puts enough weight on the fanny pack to loosen it a bit judging by the slack in the R3 in this pic.

I tried wearing the R3 with the pack up front but for me when bending forward for a turn when seated the R3 got in the way. My short torso may be to blame for his and for taller folk it may not be an issue.

A very nice pic of Wrk2surf at the Baja. For him and his size it seems he had no issue with the Cube on the shoulder harness of his pack. For me at 5"5" the Cube had to be mounted too high up on the shoulder strap and when turning the head in the direction of the Cube pocket it would bind on my helmet, keeping me from checking my mirror or looking right into a blind spot etc. Again for someone of taller stature it will hopefully not be an issue.