What do you need to carry?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #1112
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
What do you need to carry?
What I should have said is " is to big to fit on the small CRF250 tank?". What I put in it depends on the trip I do at the time, but it will be camera, phone, maps, and other stuff I like to keep dry.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #1113
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 850
Allllllrighty!

... I'm back on the case! Apologies for the temporary radio silence, which was due to a crazy final few weeks of 2013, Christmas blah, production plans blah, tax preparation bleugh, blah, blah, blah...

Aaaaaanywaaays... Here come the responses. Aiming to find more time to lurk and post on here this year. For business and for pleasure.

Happy New Cheers!

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #1114
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Better times with the Kriega kit. Doing an offroad trip around the perimeter of Cambodia sorting out the highs and lows of the bits. I'm using the R15 pack to hold my laptop, 3 liters of water and some bits and bobs. The way the harness system mounts has been a boon to get over my bulky chest protector and carries the weight quite comfortably. The R3 fanny pack worn with the pack in the back, even on my short frame (along with the R15 was a nice surprise as I was concerned my short torso would make it quite a challenge), keeps my vital insulin meter, insulin, passport, money, phone etc. all dry in the swamps and bogs of South East Asia.

The Overlander 30 has been giving me some issues but hopefully Micheal and i can rectify the situation. You can see the rack loop Camlok has slipped here allowing the left rear bag to sag a bit and develop some slop.

Hats of to Micheal acknowledging that Kriega is designed to perform and function well in adverse environments and a little mud here and there should not cause the equipment to malfunction.
Hi mate,

Hopefully our 'civilian' email communications are getting to the bottom of this one. Looking forward to receiving your update on how things go with adjustments. I'll drop you a line when there's more info on the nylon / polyprop tests.

In the meantime, feel free to email over any salient points.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #1115
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
Any recommendations for heat shields to clamp onto the exhaust to stop the plastics from melting while using the Overlander 30 setup? I've drilled my fender and mounted the pucks, but I need to get a heat shield before I'm ready to roll. The Giant Loop one looks decent, just wondering what else is out there?
Like traveltoad (in fact I think it might well have been he who turned me onto the brand in the first place), I use one of these, which works as a spacer:

Available from http://www.advancedperformanceaccessories.com/

It has thus far prevented the weight of a fully-laden 990 from squishing the panels onto the cans, which is what used to happen whether I dropped the thing a certain way, with or without luggage.

Hope that helps!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #1116
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono_777 View Post
Will Kriega make one Michael?
No plans that I know of, but we are chatting about various future projects.

The key area for any new development is whether Dom and Mike (Kriega owners who personally design all the gear) feel they can bring something new / unique / valuable to a design. If not, we'd just be adding to the confusion. Could be tricky with something as straightforward as a heat guard, but you never know...

But as always, if so, you'll hear it here first.

Come to think of it, please all y'all feel free to post up suggestions for key products you'd like to see Kriega tackle. I can't be getting into detailed discussion of the yays and nays / whys and wherefores, but it'd be great to pass on even more intel on which areas of adventure riding could be further served by maybe coming at it from a new angle.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #1117
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshdave View Post

Is it possible to just get one of these clasps? If you promise not to ask how I broke it I promise not to tell you how I did.

That, sir, is eminently possible. If you want to PM or email me a mailing address, I'll send one out right away.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. Those things aren't at all easy to break. So... Good effort!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #1118
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
The R15 taking a break in a village that was earning its living based on illegal logging. Sitting behind a bottle of homemade rice whiskey.

Lets just say it's not as smooth as a nice single malt.
Aye... The Glenmolotov 18 Years Old - quite the wee drop!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #1119
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Looking into a R15 or R20 or R25. Not sure what I should get.

The Pack will be used for Bladder and my Liners. I need to be able to put 2 top, 2 bottom Revit liners plus under armor cold gear in the bag. A few other little items may go in there but really this is just for the liners so I don't have to go in to the Giantloop any more. Might carry water from time to time. I use a stuff sac for the liners so I can get them kinda small. What bag should I get. I'm 6,2/ 6,3 by the way.
Hey Parx,

My gut reaction is that the R20 would deal with all that, with enough space left over for other essentials you need closer at hand.

That said, if you want to post up some photos of the gear packed and let me know what type of riding you'll be most of with the pack, I can say for sure.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #1120
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
FTB,
You mentioned you'd like a waist bag larger then R3 but less bulky then R8. How about R11? Although, it may not work with a backpack.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kriega-Mot...item3a891267e5
Hi mate,

The R11 is actually no more. It was designed as a storage / hydration system and was a great piece of gear, but didn't sell all that much, so we had to can it a while back.

I'm sure you already knew this, but just in case the OP check this post, the smaller pod on the side of the R8 is removable, so you can slim it down to just the five-liter main compartment, which sits nicely between the more compact 3-liter R3 and the complete 8-liter R8.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #1121
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
I've got a US10 and want to add a US20 and hook them together, for camping and longer rides.

Do I also need to order any extra straps to hook the 2 together?? And if so, what do I need??

thanks,
Yep.

What brother HaChayalBoded said. All US-10 through 30 will connect together regardless of age, but you may have to switch around the straps to get it to work. Happy to elaborate if you like...

... Which reminds me...

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #1122
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
If you've got a post 2012 US-10, that is, with the hook straps. Then you do not need anything in addition to connect to the top of a newer US-20.

However, if you have an older US-10 model, that did not use hook straps then you would need those to mount it to a newer US-20.

The newer US-20 does not have the D-rings to run straps through as the older ones did.
Hi mate,

Just to let you know that I should soon be able to supply sets of supplementary clip-on rings, specifically for this purpose. I'll post up details as soon as I get them.

I know you've been looking for a way to strap more gear / packs to your pre-2012 US-20. Hopefully, this will be just what the doctor ordered and - after the little mix-up with the substitute US-20 a while back - I'll be sure to send you a set FOC.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #1123
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Im planning on going around Lake Superior this spring/ summer and would like some more storage options. I have a 2006 Ninja 650R and use the Kriega US-30 and a US-10 currently for the bike but I want to get the US-30 combo (1 US-20 and 1 US-10) so Ill have 70 liters of storage total on the bike. Id use the US-30 on the rear along with the two US-10 bags on either side. My plan is to use the US-20 on the tank but Im concerned that it might be too big and will affect turning and controlling the bike. Does anyone have a US-20 mounted to the tank? Any issues with the bag hitting the handle bars or controls?
Hey woolsocks,

We do not recommend using the US-30 on the tank for this very reason, but the US-20 shouldn't interfere with any steering / hand controls on the Ninja 650R.

There is plenty of adjustability in the Tank adaptor (in terms of positioning the base plate and also the various attachment point for the Drypack) so you can find a comfortable and practical fitment for pretty much any bike.

This also means that you can generally position the Drypack so that you can rest against it on long straight-line highway blasts, if so desired, then reposition it for more 'spirited' riding after the off-ramp.

Give me a shout if you need any more detail. I'm also about to make some more posts, which I hope will help give you some scale on the various US Tank set-ups, as well as help everyone better visualize fitment of our gear.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #1124
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Got my new Overlander 30 in for a Christmas present for myself. Go my gear loaded into it and all installed on my bike. This is on my KTM 690. I almost bought other bags with a rear rack, but I'm glad I decided to keep it light weight and go with the 30's. I also have a US 20, a 10 and a 5 for a tool bag.

I love buying good, well made and thought out gear, and the Kreiga is about as good as it gets.

Also, the rack loops instructions clearly say to use a little thread locker to keep them on, they even supply a bottle of it with your order. But I didnt use it because I wasn't sure if my mounts were in their permanant mounts. So, I lost one of the bolts and a plastic washer, rendering it inoperatable. So, I get on the Kreiga USA site, leave a message for Mike and withing 2 hours I get a response with him telling me he would send me out a couple in the mail.

Now, not only do you get a quality product, but how can you beat that kind of service???

Thanks Mike
Only doing my job, chief. But I do very much appreciate your kind words.

Thanks!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #1125
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610 View Post
Michael.

I am considering buying a US10 and the tank adapter and us the US10 as a tankbag, as I need a waterproof one.
Do you think this US10 will be too big as a tank bag on a Honda CRF250L?

Cheers
Hi mate,

From your subsequent two posts, I'd say the US-5 will accommodate the type of items you mention, with room to spare. So unless there's a bunch of other stuff you need in there, I'd recommend the more compact and less pricey 5-liter pack over the 10.

That said, the US-10 is reasonably compact, measuring (L)13" x (W)8.7" x (H)4.9" fully packed and works fine on smaller bikes. But I would suggest measuring up to see if it will be in a position you are comfortable with.

If you do opt for the US Tank, please email me via the website to let me know to include the alternative Loop Straps you'll need to attach the rearwards end of the base plate to your frame (standard under-seat fitment won't work on lightweight dirt bikes).

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC