Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #1126
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop_Watch View Post
I've got a Holan top box on my Tiger 800XC and would like to use a US10 on top of it for lightweight stuff (tent or sleeping bag stuffed inside). The dimensions of the US10 look perfect, size-wise, but can someone tell me the distance between the straps? On the box, the mount points are 12" apart, front-to-back, and 9.5" apart, side-to-side. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a secure mount to the existing points on the box?

(In the background you can see my Overlander 60s along with a whole bunch of other stuff...)
Hey Stop_Watch,

As Dagwood_55 correctly identified before his eye-balls iced up, the US-20 would be a better fit. The straps are 8.5" apart center-to-center and the pack is 10.2" wide (which I suspect is a shade less wide than your top box). This suggests that mounting it across the bike (i.e. with the opening of the pack on one side) would make for a pretty tidy fit.

No additional straps would be required - the included web loops could simply be attached to the mounting points on your box, the the pack attached with the easy-on / off Alloy Hook Straps. Once cinched down tight, it won't be making a break for it any time soon.

The 20 also gives you a bit more capacity, without being oversized.

I hope that helps, but please do let me know if I can be of any further service.

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #1127
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

Can't beat the sight of a loaded up Dual Sport. Even just a photo of one still gets me all giddy.

Nicely done, sir. Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #1128
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ650 View Post
Thanks HaChayalBoded

Looks like that bag isn't what I'm looking for. I also need a pre-2012 with the 4 D-rings. If I find more than 1 I'll let you know!

Anyone?
Hi mate,

After annoying HaChayalBoded with the little mix-up while attempting to help out, I'd have to say that there aren't any unused eight-ring US-20 available. But please take a look at this post and let me know if you still need a four-ring version (I have a couple of unused ones kicking about or HaChayalBoded might still want shot of his) and some supplementary clips, which I'm hoping to be able to supply soon.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #1129
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 182
990 Adv Tank adaptor

Mike do you have a picture handy, of the rear mount on 990 Adventure? I'm currently installing one on my 07' and it's not going as well as I'd like.

I may be retarded but that's another subject...maybe .

Thanks,
Steve
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #1130
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
Mike do you have a picture handy, of the rear mount on 990 Adventure? I'm currently installing one on my 07' and it's not going as well as I'd like.

I may be retarded but that's another subject...maybe .

Thanks,
Steve
Now then, fella.

Great to hear from you again. Can you let me know precisely what your attempting to fit and I'll do what I can.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #1131
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Now then, fella.

Great to hear from you again. Can you let me know precisely what your attempting to fit and I'll do what I can.

Cheers,

Michael
Yeah, it's been a while. I'll be back in NOLA within the month. Will definitely buy you a beer when I get back.

Sadly, my poor steed spent the summer alone and I spent it offshore. Today was my first ride (short one at that) since May.

Enough feeling sorry for myself:

I purchased a US Tailpack to tankbag converter sometime this summer. Part #KUSTK.

Now I'm trying to mount her up on my 07' 990 ADV. The front straps are around the headstock and the rear straps (velcro ones) don't appear long enough. Once this is done, I'll look at how to mount up a US10 (older style).

I'm a picture person so if you have one mounted that will help tremendously.

Thanks,
Steve
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #1132
NJ650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Hi mate,

After annoying HaChayalBoded with the little mix-up while attempting to help out, I'd have to say that there aren't any unused eight-ring US-20 available. But please take a look at this post and let me know if you still need a four-ring version (I have a couple of unused ones kicking about or HaChayalBoded might still want shot of his) and some supplementary clips, which I'm hoping to be able to supply soon.

Cheers,

Michael
HaChayalBoded set me straight. Turns out I don't need that extra set of d-rings that he is looking for (although my US20 does have them). I'm just looking for a cheap gently used pre-2012.

Thanks.
Planning 2014 Gaspé and 2014 COBDR
Fuck cancer!
NJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #1133
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Hi mate,

Hopefully our 'civilian' email communications are getting to the bottom of this one. Looking forward to receiving your update on how things go with adjustments. I'll drop you a line when there's more info on the nylon / polyprop tests.

In the meantime, feel free to email over any salient points.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael - Looking forward to seeing the improvements Dom comes up with in regards to the Overlander 30.

I just completed a four day ride with some modifications to the Overlander bag. Good news is that everything held fine. However four days is not enough to claim victory so next week will be heading to Laos on the 500 with the modified bags to give them more of a shakedown.

On the four day trip I loaded the Overlander 30 bags onto my KTM 250 XCFW. Here loading onto a homemade bamboo raft to cross a river that separates Thailand and Burma (Myanmar).

Also on the trip were the R15 pack and R3 fanny pack.

Hoping I won't be testing the Kriega waterproof abilities if the raft tips or sinks.

Cursing myself here for not removing my boots here as swimming with my 20 pounds of gear on won't work too well.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #1134
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Hoping I won't be testing the Kriega waterproof abilities if the raft tips or sinks.

Cursing myself here for not removing my boots here as swimming with my 20 pounds of gear on won't work too well.
Well that's all hindsight because if you did have to swim, I don't think we would be seeing these photos!

I'm envious of your adventures over there!

Cheers
Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #1135
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
You're a brave man FTB. Haha.. It just need a caption 'oh shit, oh shit oh shit!'
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #1136
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,179
Being pleased with my US30 and US20 and with a need for a smaller bag I ordered a US10 without looking at it closely, just thinking it would be like the others except smaller. Any good reason the US10 does not have the little nylon loops on the top (used with the alloy hooks)? Is it not conceivable that someone might want to stack two US10?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #1137
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Being pleased with my US30 and US20 and with a need for a smaller bag I ordered a US10 without looking at it closely, just thinking it would be like the others except smaller. Any good reason the US10 does not have the little nylon loops on the top (used with the alloy hooks)? Is it not conceivable that someone might want to stack two US10?
I felt the same way, I would have liked to add a US-5 to the top of a US-10.

You can however add a US-5 to the side of a US-10. Play around with that and you'll figure it out.

You can also get snap on D-rings to add to the bit of fabric that holds the buckles onto the back and use those to strap a second US-10 on top of your first one.

I'll get some pics of those for ya. Or scroll back a few pages, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #1138
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
Yeah, it's been a while. I'll be back in NOLA within the month. Will definitely buy you a beer when I get back.

Sadly, my poor steed spent the summer alone and I spent it offshore. Today was my first ride (short one at that) since May.

Enough feeling sorry for myself:

I purchased a US Tailpack to tankbag converter sometime this summer. Part #KUSTK.

Now I'm trying to mount her up on my 07' 990 ADV. The front straps are around the headstock and the rear straps (velcro ones) don't appear long enough. Once this is done, I'll look at how to mount up a US10 (older style).

I'm a picture person so if you have one mounted that will help tremendously.

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks for the info. I'm happy to say that the US Tank is certainly plenty long enough for the 990. I'm not going to be able to get to my bike until the weekend, but will snap a pic when I do. But in the meantime, here's a shot of the Tank on a 950SE:

Pic courtesy of Inmate Yardstick over in the OC. Full post here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=48

That's the same basic fitment as you'd be aiming for on your ADV. The only real difference being that the rearward straps can go behind the ADV's plastics and tie on to the frame (let me know if you need the alternative Loop Straps for this) or stick (using the standard Velcro arrangement that work on most bikes - these straps can be adjusted by separating the Velcro and sliding to the desired length) to any solid mounting point.

You can also experiment with alternative foreword strap placement. If the headstock is too much of a reach, try looping them round the trellis rail a little further back.

Here are the instructions for the standard fitment, in case you don't have them and they prove enlightening:

And here's (a bit too much of a close up for your needs) photo of the finished article on an ADV:

(photo snagged with thanks from Dazzle over on ktmforums.co.uk)

I'll also be posting a video shortly.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #1139
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
And another pic of the US Tank with a US5 on an SE:
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #1140
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Hey swimmer,

The US-10 doesn't have the web loops because it doesn't need them. This pack tends to be either be used in isolation, or attached to another larger pack.

Nevertheless, if do you want to stack 2 x US-10, simply place one on top of the other then attach the Alloy Hooks from the top one, into the same subframe loops (which are attached to the bike) as the base bag and cinch down.

Works like a charm!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC