Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #1141
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

Here are the instructions for the standard fitment, in case you don't have them and they prove enlightening:

Cheers,

Michael
I think you guys should change those instructions. There is a much better way to attach stuff to the tank adapter with the alloy straps that hooking directly onto the loops of the strap with the hook.

I tore the stitching off one two set of loops that way on mine.

What I have found that works much better is to put the alloy hook through the loop, and then to hook it back onto it's own strap. This way the pull pressure of you cinching down the bag is absorbed by a larger area of the straps on the tank adapter.

It also looks neater as the way shown in the instructions has the straps twisted at a 90 degree angle compared to the way I mention.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #1142
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I think you guys should change those instructions. There is a much better way to attach stuff to the tank adapter with the alloy straps that hooking directly onto the loops of the strap with the hook.

I tore the stitching off one two set of loops that way on mine.

What I have found that works much better is to put the alloy hook through the loop, and then to hook it back onto it's own strap. This way the pull pressure of you cinching down the bag is absorbed by a larger area of the straps on the tank adapter.

It also looks neater as the way shown in the instructions has the straps twisted at a 90 degree angle compared to the way I mention.
Nice catch, mate. . You're dead right and that is the way I always personally recommend (see below and video to follow).

Instructions have now been updated - I'm just waiting for copies from the UK

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #1143
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Muchas gracias

Hey guys, those pictures helped alot.

I ended up putting the front strap towards the rear. Attaching it to the crash bar. Then used some extra webbing I had to make a single loop around the headstock. It feels very secure (though untested).

Thanks again. Will buy you a beer or six at Molly's.

Seriously considering riding her back to work. Just need to figure out which one of my buddies will store it while offshore.

Steve
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #1144
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hey swimmer,

The US-10 doesn't have the web loops because it doesn't need them. This pack tends to be either be used in isolation, or attached to another larger pack.
Well, for my use it would be nice if the 10 was the same as the 20 and 30.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #1145
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 172
Hey!

I have just found out that Kriega made a new pack for the rear fender:

What else is Kriega preparing for the new season of riding?
MadM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #1146
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

I think that would make a great number plate bag.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1147
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Love it!
'82 Suzuki DR250 - dead
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #1148
solitary1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I think that would make a great number plate bag.

not sure if you mean front or side number plate but im sure it will be good in all three locations.now,if only they make it cheaper than the 3 litre wolfman carry all that i was thinking of buying
solitary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #1149
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,213
I know I know, the US 5 & 10 are an option for a tank bag. However, the market seems ripe for a Giant Loop/Wolfman type tank bag for small with sloped tanks in mind, medium and large. I can't imagine what Kriega engineers/designers could come up with. Then a specific tank pannier bag similar to the Areostitch.

Let the designing begin.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #1150
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
I know I know, the US 5 & 10 are an option for a tank bag. However, the market seems ripe for a Giant Loop/Wolfman type tank bag for small with sloped tanks in mind, medium and large. I can't imagine what Kriega engineers/designers could come up with. Then a specific tank pannier bag similar to the Areostitch.

Let the designing begin.
Using Kriega bags as tank panniers has been done, use two tank adapters connected to one another.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #1151
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
If you buy the ADV 60 system can you buy the harness to convert two bags to the ADV 30 system without the boards?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #1152
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Modifications to the Overlander 30 bags

After a couple issues with my Overlander 30 bags i went ahead with some modifications/improvements and took them on a four day camping/offroad ride for testing. One of the mods Haychayalboded chatted about (aluminum hooks) was addressed.

No need to clutter up this thread so i posted it here in post #48:

p://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911217&page=4

Modified bags

Modified bags on the trip, along with the R3 and R15.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #1153
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks for all the updates FTB. I can see why these bags are slipping on the straps. I think it's never been a problem for me as I haven't done any massive rides with mine.. Only a 3 dayer to date. Plus I was checking the bags every stop.. and no doubt I tightened the straps a couple of times out of habit, which probably stopped them from completely coming loose. The bags are great tho, I much prefer the design and waterproofing over the GL Coyote.. that thing was so difficult and slow to pack up each morning.

Like you have mentioned, the issue lies in the webbing. Its too slippery. I wonder if Kriega will address this design issue anytime soon? If they do, I hope they release updated straps (with a flatter style seat buckle) to update the current designs. It should be quite an easy thing to simply make new straps out of 'gripier' material as an update kit. I'd happily buy it to update. Hopefully something is done soon.

I think Kriega should also call the updated version the 'Kriega Overlander30 FTB' haha
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #1154
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
If you buy the ADV 60 system can you buy the harness to convert two bags to the ADV 30 system without the boards?
Alright, chief!

Although not currently on kriega.us, I am able to get you the Frameless Fit System separately, which you can use to convert two of the 15L packs from your Overlander 60 into an Overlander 30. The kit includes all straps, hardware (inc. 4 x Rack Loop mounts) required.

Fire me an email via the website if you're interested and be sure to let me know you're a fellow Inmate so it can ship for free.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #1155
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono_777 View Post
Thanks for all the updates FTB. I can see why these bags are slipping on the straps. I think it's never been a problem for me as I haven't done any massive rides with mine.. Only a 3 dayer to date. Plus I was checking the bags every stop.. and no doubt I tightened the straps a couple of times out of habit, which probably stopped them from completely coming loose. The bags are great tho, I much prefer the design and waterproofing over the GL Coyote.. that thing was so difficult and slow to pack up each morning.

Like you have mentioned, the issue lies in the webbing. Its too slippery. I wonder if Kriega will address this design issue anytime soon? If they do, I hope they release updated straps (with a flatter style seat buckle) to update the current designs. It should be quite an easy thing to simply make new straps out of 'gripier' material as an update kit. I'd happily buy it to update. Hopefully something is done soon.

I think Kriega should also call the updated version the 'Kriega Overlander30 FTB' haha
Yep - as discussed with FTB via email, under certain, rare and extreme circumstances (the system was tested extremely hard over generally muddy terrain, without issue) the nylon webbing selected for use with this system can slip slightly.

Nylon was selected over polyprop webbing due to it being much more durable and better suited to this application (webbing that wears out could result in sudden detachment, which would be far worse that gentle slippage). It is slightly harder with the trade-off that it is a bit less grippy.

After hearing from FTB, Dom is currently investigating the options for some hybrid materials that might satisfy both requirements even better. I'll update you of any updates and - should they materialize, current Overlander 30 owners will be sent replacement straps, free of charge, on request, whether they have experienced any slippage, or not.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC