Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #1156
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
I know I know, the US 5 & 10 are an option for a tank bag. However, the market seems ripe for a Giant Loop/Wolfman type tank bag for small with sloped tanks in mind, medium and large. I can't imagine what Kriega engineers/designers could come up with. Then a specific tank pannier bag similar to the Areostitch.

Let the designing begin.
Thanks for the suggestion, AteamNM. It's on the list.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #1157
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Nu ting!

Quick pics up first.

Gonna comeback and edit this post with more info after me sammich!

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #1158
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Quick pics up first.

looks good!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #1159
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
I like the new alloy hook system for the 5 also......I was playing with my 5 set up today and the hooks would have been much simpler than what I came up with.

Cheers
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #1160
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Yep - as discussed with FTB via email, under certain, rare and extreme circumstances (the system was tested extremely hard over generally muddy terrain, without issue) the nylon webbing selected for use with this system can slip slightly.

Nylon was selected over polyprop webbing due to it being much more durable and better suited to this application (webbing that wears out could result in sudden detachment, which would be far worse that gentle slippage). It is slightly harder with the trade-off that it is a bit less grippy.

After hearing from FTB, Dom is currently investigating the options for some hybrid materials that might satisfy both requirements even better. I'll update you of any updates and - should they materialize, current Overlander 30 owners will be sent replacement straps, free of charge, on request, whether they have experienced any slippage, or not.

Cheers,

Michael
Can't complain about that! Thanks for the response Michael. Love Kriega gear and the customer service
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #1161
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
This thread doesn't work....

order placed...rally pack, new us-5, extra us-20, cube 4,......
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #1162
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
This thread doesn't work....

order placed...rally pack, new us-5, extra us-20, cube 4,......

How doesn't it work?
'82 Suzuki DR250 - dead
Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #1163
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono_777 View Post
How doesn't it work?
fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #1164
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Haha got ya! Kriega gear has a way of multiplying on you. I started with a waist pack and now I have 6 Kriega products.. How'd that happen?!
'82 Suzuki DR250 - dead
Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 AM   #1165
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Quick pics up first.

Gonna comeback and edit this post with more info after me sammich!

Well because of this change on US-5 I have rushed and got a "old" version of the bag as I don't need alu hooks for strapping the bag on a Hydro-3 (when the finance ministers approves the investment )

My Blog
MadM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #1166
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono_777 View Post
Thanks for all the updates FTB. I can see why these bags are slipping on the straps. I think it's never been a problem for me as I haven't done any massive rides with mine.. Only a 3 dayer to date. Plus I was checking the bags every stop.. and no doubt I tightened the straps a couple of times out of habit, which probably stopped them from completely coming loose. The bags are great tho, I much prefer the design and waterproofing over the GL Coyote.. that thing was so difficult and slow to pack up each morning.

Like you have mentioned, the issue lies in the webbing. Its too slippery. I wonder if Kriega will address this design issue anytime soon? If they do, I hope they release updated straps (with a flatter style seat buckle) to update the current designs. It should be quite an easy thing to simply make new straps out of 'gripier' material as an update kit. I'd happily buy it to update. Hopefully something is done soon.

I think Kriega should also call the updated version the 'Kriega Overlander30 FTB' haha
Sir Jono - My bags moved but not too much on the first week of usage, for some reason once they got a week of off roading they began to loosen much, much more. This I would think would indicate the Camlocks may be shifting or not providing as much grip as when they were new. However this is purely my speculation and not based on anything scientific.

Like you mention the bags themselves are well made and a lot more convenient than the GL Coyote to pack, unpack, and access.

The webbing is an additional variable that can be contributing to the slipping. Today I went for a day ride and one of the gents had Nylon tie down straps used in his truck and one side slipped enough to require pulling over and reseating the tie down. I also recommended a hitch knot as back up. Another data point of Nylon and Camloks not getting along too well. Like Michael mentioned the Nylon has better abrasion resistance compared to Polypro. However after a decade in service my Polypro tie downs are still going strong. They look beaten and faded but still hold fast which is the most important feature of straps.

Here's a pic of the Polypropylene strap I borrowed off my friend to jury rig the Kriega's back onto the bike.

It's the faded grey strap that is threaded through the backside of the Kriega Camlock buckle and through the two Fastex fasteners on the Overlander 30 bags. My friend said that strap is close to 10 years old. It's frayed a bit and has faded in color but held strong and steady for 5 days until I got to an upholstery shop to repair the bag.

My modifications to the bag worked well. However it's only been four days of riding so I would hardly call it a success. I have another two week trip planned coming up so we'll see how they fare and will be in a better position to pass judgement then.

Like you I'll be curious what Kriega comes up with on the improvements. Don't think the Fingering The Bean (FTB) model would do well as a marketing strategy. Then again on this board ya never know.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #1167
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Yep - as discussed with FTB via email, under certain, rare and extreme circumstances (the system was tested extremely hard over generally muddy terrain, without issue) the nylon webbing selected for use with this system can slip slightly.

Nylon was selected over polyprop webbing due to it being much more durable and better suited to this application (webbing that wears out could result in sudden detachment, which would be far worse that gentle slippage). It is slightly harder with the trade-off that it is a bit less grippy.

After hearing from FTB, Dom is currently investigating the options for some hybrid materials that might satisfy both requirements even better. I'll update you of any updates and - should they materialize, current Overlander 30 owners will be sent replacement straps, free of charge, on request, whether they have experienced any slippage, or not.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael it's due to your support and feedback purely that keep my interest in Kriega.

Hopefully the improvements Dorn comes up with to the bag are worthy of the product and can handle the environs to which they are marketed.

I'll email you another idea I have for the bags.

All the best to you.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #1168
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Michael it's due to your support and feedback purely that keep my interest in Kriega.
I would also like to say the same.
I've bought a Kriega backpack 6-7 years ago and forgot about the brand even though I liked it. High prices and availability were (are) some of the reasons.
Thanks to Michael's commitment and contribution of others in this thread (and moving from road to enduro) I've picked up a H3 and R8 and I'm considering a few US bags.

I hope Kriega continues on course of hard off road and innovation.

Cheers.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #1169
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,457
R-8 Waistpack in action at registration of the Dakar Rally

a necessary tool during the whole trip!

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #1170
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,735
you lucky dog!