Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #1201
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
All good until you get you cock caught in the zipper....
Yup. That's the one I wish I'd thought of.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 04:51 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #1202
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoudude View Post
Does the R20 have longer straps than the R25? I have the R25 and the straps are adjusted all the way out for me. (I'm 6'3" 250 lbs). The R25 fits over my insulated and padded jacket, but is a just little bit tight for me.

The R25 is a dream to put on and take off compared to a traditional backpack.
Howdy neighbor!

The pre-2013 R25 (easily identifiable by the alloy sliders on the upper harness) had a lot less adjustment in it than the R15 / R20. Last year, we modified it to have the same upper harness adjustment as the R30.

All our packs now have plenty of adjustment, with only the biggest of big lads (specifically those built along the line of having an impressive capacity for carrying ale, if you get what I mean) may struggle to get a fit in bulky riding gear.

6-three / two-fiddy shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1203
NitroSpazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Glad I found this thread before I spent too many more hours trying to figure out what sized Kriega pack to get. I've recently switched to a WR250 for commuting so the magnetic tank bag and messenger bag are going to be retired. I'm 5'6" about 130" and will be wearing the pack 99% of the time over an Aerostich suit, once and a while over race leathers.

I need to be able to carry a 15" laptop and lunch (say ~1.5L). I would also be able to carry two 32oz water bottles most days. For spring and fall I would like to have space to stash my heated jacket and gloves.

Right now I'm leaning toward the R20 with a possible US-10 or the R25. I'm also curious if anyone is running the tank adapter or a US-5/10 as a tank bag on a WR250 or similar.
NitroSpazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1204
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroSpazzz View Post
Glad I found this thread before I spent too many more hours trying to figure out what sized Kriega pack to get. I've recently switched to a WR250 for commuting so the magnetic tank bag and messenger bag are going to be retired. I'm 5'6" about 130" and will be wearing the pack 99% of the time over an Aerostich suit, once and a while over race leathers.

I need to be able to carry a 15" laptop and lunch (say ~1.5L). I would also be able to carry two 32oz water bottles most days. For spring and fall I would like to have space to stash my heated jacket and gloves.

Right now I'm leaning toward the R20 with a possible US-10 or the R25. I'm also curious if anyone is running the tank adapter or a US-5/10 as a tank bag on a WR250 or similar.
Hey mate,

Thanks for chipping in. Usually, I would recommend the R25 due to to it being the most popular choice for commuting and also because having one bag as opposed to would be more economical in a couple of respects.

However, the R20 is little better suited to riders of slighter stature - especially owners of motorcycles with relatively aggressively raised tail sections and upright riding positions, such as your WR.

I am sure the gear you describe will fit in an R20 with room to spare, but if you want to let me know precisely which heated jacket you have, I might be able to say for sure. But the addition of a US-5 would be a great 'insurance policy' in case you do find you need that extra 5 liters space at any point.

The US-5 could then be attached to your R20, or - as you suggest - fitted to the tank with our US Tank Adapter. The WR is certainly compact, but the US Tank + US-5 will fit fine via the alternative Loop Straps which I can supply if you mention it with your order. A US-10 could also be used as a tank bag, but would take up more real estate and I'm not sure you'd need the additional capacity.

That said, it might be a good idea for you to gather the gear you expect to carry and pack it all down, as you would expect it to go into a bag and measure it to see if the dimensions roughly correspond with the size of the bag(s) in question. Post a photo here if you think it might be of use.

If you do think you'd need a US-10, it might be best to mount it on the tail, along these lines:

The above photo was snagged from here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/612...-kriega-us-10/ and shows an older version of the US-10, which had a different strapping system and therefore needed to be jury rigged on rear fenders. Now we have the Rack Loops / Alloy Hooks, which make fitment quicker and more secure.

I hope this info proves useful and hasn't confused the issue further. But please feel free to let me know if I can be of any further service.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #1205
NitroSpazzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks Micheal that helped a lot. Not sure why it didn't occur to me earlier but I'll gather my usual stuff and figure out it's actual volume, do the same for my old worn out tank bag. Looks like the R20 will be perfect.
NitroSpazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #1206
zedXmick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
My US30 pack in use on my VFR. This pack was used on my week long 2800 mile trip to thru the BRP in 2012. I bought the US70 combo pack. Great products!!
zedXmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #1207
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 660
Mike, I know you have (or had) a Scrambler, so I can't think of anyone better than you to answer this: What's the best way to strap a US20 to the pillion seat of the Scrambler?

Also, I'm looking for a water solution for an upcoming cross-country road trip, something to both drink from and cook with while camping. I know I could put a rotopax on my Overlander60, but I think I'll want the 2 gallons of fuel, instead of the 1 & 1 fuel/water combo. At the moment, I'm torn between the Hydro3, the R15, and the R20. Can someone provide comments on why I should get one over the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I like the new alloy hook system for the 5 also......I was playing with my 5 set up today and the hooks would have been much simpler than what I came up with.
Ditto. I love the alloy hooks on the 10, where I take the bag on and off of my 20 regularly. Luckily I keep the 5 on the tank adaptor nearly all the time, but it's a pain to remove it when I need to.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #1208
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedXmick View Post
My US30 pack in use on my VFR. This pack was used on my week long 2800 mile trip to thru the BRP in 2012. I bought the US70 combo pack. Great products!!
Lookin' good, mate!

Always had a soft spot the the VFR. Almost (and still wish I had!) bought an 800 many moons ago and really enjoyed a brief spin around the Scottish Highlands on the 1200 a few years back. Thanks for posting.

Keep up the good work!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #1209
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
Mike, I know you have (or had) a Scrambler, so I can't think of anyone better than you to answer this: What's the best way to strap a US20 to the pillion seat of the Scrambler?
Hi mate,

The subframe that the Scrambler shares with the Bonneville makes it super-easy to fit. All you need to do, is remove the seat one time, to attach the smaller web loops to the tubing on either side, positioning / spacing / setting the length as desired. Then pop the seat back on and hook the bag in. Like so:

Photo courtesy of Inmate Av8rPaul - full post here.

The loops can be set so you can slide them back and forth to get your preferred position, depending on the size of the pack, but it will still stay in place when cinched down.

Larger packs can also be mounted across the seat, as opposed to in-line if required.

Quote:
Also, I'm looking for a water solution for an upcoming cross-country road trip, something to both drink from and cook with while camping. I know I could put a rotopax on my Overlander60, but I think I'll want the 2 gallons of fuel, instead of the 1 & 1 fuel/water combo. At the moment, I'm torn between the Hydro3, the R15, and the R20. Can someone provide comments on why I should get one over the other?
All depends on whether you need the capacity of a backpack, as well as the hydration kit, really. If you don't need the space, go for the Hydro-3, which is designed solely for that job and almost unnoticeable on your back. It comes with the Hydrapak in there and will save you money compared to a backpack + Hydrapak combo.

The Hydro-3 does have a zipper pocket and shock cord for carrying smaller items, but if you need more space, then it all comes down to how much space: 15 (R15) or 20 (R20) liters.

All of the above accommodate the same super high quality, Mil. Spec. 3L reservoir, but if you're sipping while riding and wanting to make camp away from potable water at the end of the day, you'll need more than that. So it might make sense to either grab some kind of separate water storage bag - whether it's a tough, practical outdoors specific one such as this or just a cheapo job, not that different to what's inside of a box of wine - to roll up and pack in your US pack for camp duty, then fill up at the last opportunity and strap on the bike... or stuff in your backpack.

Obviously, there are plenty of other ways to skin this particular cat. Personally, if I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I'll take the RotopaX water can, but on regular trips, something like a Nalgene usually canteen does the trick (depending on whether there's a stream etc for washing up cooking gear etc) for an overnighter.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S.
Quote:
Ditto. I love the alloy hooks on the 10, where I take the bag on and off of my 20 regularly. Luckily I keep the 5 on the tank adaptor nearly all the time, but it's a pain to remove it when I need to.
I'll have the US-5 upgrade strap kit on the site in the next few days, so you can attach /remove it in pretty much the same way as the larger US Packs, if you feel the need:

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 01:35 PM
Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #1210
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

First uprated US-5 spotted in the wild!

Nice one, Dale!

Dale posted a shot on our FB page, which led me to his SmugMug account, which, in turn, leads me to believe he's a fellow Inmate.

All US Packs can be mounted in-line or across the bike - Rack Loops aren't required, so I assume Dale has it set up this way because he expects to haul more than just the US-5 on his tasty new 500.

BritKit LLC
Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #1211
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 679
Hey, that's a great looking bike!!!

Here's a couple more from that day (last weekend). The pano and last one were taken with my phone, so the quality is a bit down ...but I'm not hauling my 1D out on the trail!

I knew I had a shot with my Hydro-3 in it ...also sporting the new style US5.

I mentioned it on the Kriega FB page, but I LOVE my Kriega gear! The rack loops work flawlessly, and I like that I can mount my US10 longitudinally if I need more space (or stack the 5s).

Cheers!

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #1212
pklop
shit happens

Oddometer: 71
Just finished installing the overland setup on a R1200GS LC.

I did install this rotopax:

behind this white liner:

I used the normal rotopax mount through the bag. That way the bag doesn't have to support the weight.

pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #1213
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post

I did install this rotopax:

behind this white liner:

I used the normal rotopax mount through the bag. That way the bag doesn't have to support the weight.

Nice work, pklop!

Please be aware that with that unorthodox RotopaX arrangement, it would be a good idea to place something soft between the gas can and the liner to prevent objects in the liner damaging the liner. Please also be sure to avoid getting petrol on the liner because it could damage the waterproof coating.

Thanks for sharing these photos of your set-up and enjoy your rides with Kriega!

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #1214
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMoto View Post
Hey, that's a great looking bike!!!

Here's a couple more from that day (last weekend). The pano and last one were taken with my phone, so the quality is a bit down ...but I'm not hauling my 1D out on the trail!

I knew I had a shot with my Hydro-3 in it ...also sporting the new style US5.

I mentioned it on the Kriega FB page, but I LOVE my Kriega gear! The rack loops work flawlessly, and I like that I can mount my US10 longitudinally if I need more space (or stack the 5s).

Cheers!
Indeed it is!

Thanks for taking the time to take the photos and post them up here.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #1215
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post

What Pannier racks are you using? And what type of bag is the small one and what are you using it for?

Thanks
Felipe