Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #121
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Here... a separate post with the two photos.

More forward:

Two loops back:

Same mounting points... just added a bit of length to the front mounts and took in a bit on the rear mount. You can see how the 3"-ish change really has made a big difference in how far back and how high the bags are on the bike.

traveltoad screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 04:28 PM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #122
traveltoad
Aaron S

So then of course, I started getting antsy and had to start playing with the other Kriega bags on my shelf.

KO plus a US20 on the rack:

KO plus a US10 on the rear rack (you can tell by the dirt I use the US10 more often):

Now this, to me, is one of the beauties of Kriega, all these bags will work together. So, for example, I keep a US5 attached to my R20:

There is nothing in it, but it weighs nothing and I have an extra (waterproof) bag with me, just in case. And that US5 (or an additional US5) could be attached to the top of the US10. Or two US5s could be attached to the sides of the US20. Or a US 10 on top of the US20 with one US5 on each side of the US20 and a US5 on the R20.... dont even get me started on how many Kube 1 or Kube Pockets could be attached.

I might have to change my username to "KriegaMan"!

traveltoad screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 05:01 PM
Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #123
traveltoad
Aaron S

So in the course of this bag frenzy, I started thinking about the grab rails... do I even need them?

They cause the top corner of each bag to kind of fold in:

Also, you can see how much height they add to the rack and the loop:

Hmmmm....

With the grab rails off, the bags seem to mold to the bike a bit better:

And the strap going over the seat doesn't seem to hover quite as much (still only lightly loaded with some towels):

When I pulled the grab rails off, I also installed a nylon washer above and bellow the loop to prevent any chaffing on the strap portion (although it doesn't really loop as if anything would chaff it). The cam buckles on the upper/rear straps don't touch anything but the rear hooks might scuff the tail section a bit. Time will tell (if I keep things this way).

A look under the side panel:

Nothing should touch the exhaust with this position, even when the bike gets tired and takes a nap. On the forward part of the exhaust can I have spaced the side panel using an exhaust slider from Advanced Performance. It has been on there for a few years with zero problems.

So this is what I have settled on for the first ride with the Kriega Overlander system. I'll load it up in a few weeks and report back.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #124
traveltoad
Aaron S

As an aside...

While I have the KO bags pretty far forward, I think with the installation of a second (or maybe two more) exhaust slider on the middle and/or rear portion of the exhaust these bags could be moved far enough back to accommodate a passenger on the bike.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #125
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Thanks Michael, that is helpful and is about what I expected. Just got back from a trip (that ended with my buddies 990 and my TE610 in the back of a Ford pickup that blew it's tranny and had to be towed out of the forest-but that's another story) with the Ortliebs mounted. Volume is pretty much what I expected.

The flop that jlpred mentions is the same flop I struggle with on my Ortliebs. Is there any way to get around that when mounting? Going to try and compare the pics to my bikes mount options and see I if I can figure something out too.

Hmm...thinking to do. Really nice bags though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hey John,

Hope these help.

For illustration purposes, I've used the contents of our bathroom cabinet , which is pretty much equivalent to the amount of 'civilian' clothes I'd take on an extended trip. The bag shown is a single Overlander 15, and obviously any other items of similar volume would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpred View Post
John, same here. Just stuffed with towels. I need to get some more gear and compression sacks before stuffing them for real. I will probably use an additional mounting point towards the bottom right corner of the bag. They are mounted dead solid when trying to push them down. I can flop them up quite easily on that bottom corner. It may have to do with my weird position, but its an easy fix so I'm not concerned about it. The buttons are the cats meow though. Its the grown up man's version of Bedazzler, I think I'm going to need like 6 more of them!
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #126
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
As an aside...

While I have the KO bags pretty far forward, I think with the installation of a second (or maybe two more) exhaust slider on the middle and/or rear portion of the exhaust these bags could be moved far enough back to accommodate a passenger on the bike.
Nice work, fella!

A bit of time, some experimenting and a couple of fish tacos seems to make for the perfect installation. Thanks for sharing your thought process - now go get 'em as dirty as that US-5!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 04:23 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #127
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post
Thanks Michael, that is helpful and is about what I expected. Just got back from a trip (that ended with my buddies 990 and my TE610 in the back of a Ford pickup that blew it's tranny and had to be towed out of the forest-but that's another story) with the Ortliebs mounted. Volume is pretty much what I expected.

The flop that jlpred mentions is the same flop I struggle with on my Ortliebs. Is there any way to get around that when mounting? Going to try and compare the pics to my bikes mount options and see I if I can figure something out too.

Hmm...thinking to do. Really nice bags though.
No worries, John.

When correctly fitted, there shouldn't be an issue with vertical movement. The three-way attachment and non-slip backing of the bags, combined with the right positioning and enough tension to keep them laid against the side panels will keep everything steady.

As you can see, there's a fair degree of trial and error involved in setting these up on various bikes, but so far we've yet to find a machine with a relatively conventional arrangement that the Overlander system wouldn't work on. I can't promise they'll be able to ward off those gremlins for you too, but they should give you one less thing to get stress about!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #128
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Is that a grommet on the back of the bag at to bottom corner? Is it an additional attachment point? Are there more?

Quote:
A look under the side panel:

Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #129
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply Michael. I just posted another question about additional grommets on the back of the bags at the same time you posted this. Is that what it is in the picture, an additional spot to mount?

Quote:
No worries, John.

When correctly fitted, there shouldn't be an issue with vertical movement. The three-way attachment and non-slip backing of the bags, combined with the right positioning and enough tension to keep them laid against the side panels will keep everything steady.

As you can see, there's a fair degree of trial and error involved in setting these up on various bikes, but so far we've yet to find a machine with a relatively conventional arrangement that the Overlander system wouldn't work on. I can't promise they'll be able to ward off those gremlins for you too, but they should give you one less thing to get stress about!

Cheers,

Michael
Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #130
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post
Is that a grommet on the back of the bag at to bottom corner? Is it an additional attachment point? Are there more?
Yup - there are 5 x stainless eyelets on each bag. These are there for using them in the Overlander 60 configuration (where the bags bolt flat onto an LDPE platform). Theoretically, they could be used as an additional anchor point but there shouldn't be any need. A third strap, if not laid completely flat against a solid part of the side of the bike, could catch on something, such as a tree branch etc. and potentially damage / rip the whole set off or cause an accident, whilst riding. So this is why it was designed to work with just the provided straps.

BritKit LLC
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #131
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Wow, never thought of an additional strap catching, good point. Was thinking something like a big cotter pin and clevis through eyelet and side panel or something on the bottom edge. That is how I have somewhat tamed the Ortlieb flop.

thanks
john

Quote:
Yup - there are 5 x stainless eyelets on each bag. These are there for using them in the Overlander 60 configuration (where the bags bolt flat onto an LDPE platform). Theoretically, they could be used as an additional anchor point but there shouldn't be any need. A third strap, if not laid completely flat against a solid part of the side of the bike, could catch on something, such as a tree branch etc. and potentially damage / rip the whole set off or cause an accident, whilst riding. So this is why it was designed to work with just the provided straps.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #132
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Been using the US-30 on my 650R. Very nice bag, especially in the summer as it takes the pack off my back and allows more heat to escape through the back of my jacket. Anyway, what can you fit inside the Kube Pocket? I'm hoping I can fit an HTC Thunderbolt, leather wallet and a key card/ keys.
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #133
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Been using the US-30 on my 650R. Very nice bag, especially in the summer as it takes the pack off my back and allows more heat to escape through the back of my jacket. Anyway, what can you fit inside the Kube Pocket? I'm hoping I can fit an HTC Thunderbolt, leather wallet and a key card/ keys.
I would say that is about right for a Kube Pocket. Unless you are a rich guy and have a fat wallet.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #134
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
I would say that is about right for a Kube Pocket. Unless you are a rich guy and have a fat wallet.
Nope, I rarely have more than $20 in my wallet at a time

Do you happen to have any pics you could post with the items inside it? So far I've only seen shots of the outside. Thanks!
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #135
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Nope, I rarely have more than $20 in my wallet at a time

Do you happen to have any pics you could post with the items inside it? So far I've only seen shots of the outside. Thanks!
I will take some tonight when I get home.