Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #1471
Hedonist222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
YMMV, but the system I've gone to when skiing with an SLR (50D) is to stuff it in my ski pack, with other items placed around it and the bag cinched down tight enough to hold it in place, as carrying an actual camera bag just results in too much bulk. The R15 has two pockets—one in the main compartment and one exterior pocket—so you could keep your keys and other small (and metallic) items in the outer pocket to avoid any risk of scratching the camera. I usually keep my keys in the outer pocket and my cell phone and wallet go in the inner pocket for off-road riding.

I haven't used it for such—I usually carry a largeish first-aid kit in the backpack and sometimes some rain gear—but it will take my 50D with a 10-22 (the lens closest to yours in size) no problem; I'm not sure what you'd do about the spare lens, but it might fit in something like a ThinkTank lens case:

For size comparison, 50D w/10-22 on R15:

50D in R15, cinched down:

Note that these photos are with almost no water in the reservoir; if it were full, that obviously takes up a good amount of space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hello Hedonist!

Looks like some of the Kriega faithful have already stepped in with some great suggestions, that have hopefully helped narrow down the options for you, but here's my two cents.

I personally transport my good camera in an R3 waistpack, like so:

I actually have Micro 4/3 kit (shown below), so it's a good deal smaller than your full-frame DSLR equipment, so if you wanted to go this route, then - as Morgan suggested - you'd need to consider the R8 and stick the body in the smaller waterproof pod (same size as the R3 at 3-liters), with the glass in the other compartment and still have plenty of room to spare for peripherals / padding material etc.

*sorry for the crappy photo (and yes the irony of this is not lost on me)

So that's the body, 12-50mm and prime lens in the Drypack, with the charger, spare memory card, spare battery, card reader, cleaning kit etc in the other zippered pockets (peripherals in baggies if likely to get rained on).

Waistpacks have the advantage of keeping the weight down low, as well as keeping your precious gear as physically close as possible. Both the R3 and R8 have an alloy slide tensioner and grab handle on them, so you can loosen the strap, spin the pack round to the front, access the contents and put it all back in place in seconds, without removing the pack. But if you need to have your camera fully assembled, with a lens that size and ready to shoot, then you'd need a bigger bag, whether that be attached to you, or to the bike.

If it's attached to you, then - as kbroderick illustrated - the R15 is has plenty of space for your gear, while still being a very light and compact pack. If you prefer your stuff to be attached to the bike, then a US-10 (on the tail or tank) will do it. But in both scenarios (and pretty much anything other than a dedicated camera case, such as the Pelican options, for that matter) you will need to think about how you pack the gear (padding etc) to prevent it moving around too much (backpack - although they do cinch down the contents snugly) or being subjected to vibration / shocks from the trail / bike (e.g. US Drypack). And of course, with off-road riding where falling off is not generally optional for most of us, thought needs to given as to whether the contents of any bag are more likely to be damaged strapped to the rider or the machine...

Also, sometimes when I'm not anticipating needing the thing in a rush or suspect I might hit the deck at some point, I just stuff the R3 full of camera gear, into my US tail pack during the riding and only use it transport the camera around when I'm off the bike. Either way, no damaged or lost gear thus far.

Hope that helps, but please let me know if you need any more info or detail on anything.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you very very very much.
It's contributions like these that make the Internet what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
There are lots of threads on carrying photo gear offroad. I have bought two different sized Pelican boxes that have dedicated soft camera bags that fit inside. The larger is actually a very good camera bag/shoulder bag/backpack...I would rank it with Lowepro's best. The smaller one will not fit a midrange dlsr with lens attached, but would be great for a smaller configuration camera.

I have studs set in my rear rack with corresponding holes in the Pelicans such that I can swap between them in about 5 min. If I was going on a photo assignment that required carrying my pro dlsr, lenses and flashes away from the bike I would still be tempted to take the bigger box, but honestly in the last year or so I have been leaning away from hard luggage as being too restrictive...that is why I have subscribed to this thread. For security and water-resistance the Pelicans are hard to beat, but...a bag within a bag takes up more room and adds more weight to an already heavy bike.

All that being said, I haven't had anything break or come loose on cameras carried on the rear rack or in a tankbag ( actually my preferred position for ease of access) BUT, I have always packed soft items around them to dampen the vibrations. Foam when I am lightly packed or polar fleece or similar when full to the gills.

Understand that the tighter you pack the gear in, the more it will follow the vibes of the bike and the more likely you will find your mid-level camera has turned into a bunch of parts and tiny screws. It's a good reason to look at the higher end cameras - the pro Canon and Nikon bricks are designed and built to be run over by a tank, bounce around in a troop transport or be used for self defense.
I agree. But my 5d MkII is halfway between the consumer line (20/30/50 D series) and the pro line (1D xxxx series).

I wouldn't have an issue with it for hiking or street riding. It's the constant bumps and jitters of Offroad riding that's the issue.

But ultimately I don't see myself taking output the big cameras every weekend. Maybe once a month. So the jitters/bumps wouldn't be an issue to the camera in the long run.
Hedonist222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #1472
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
Hey!

Thanks for the pictures! I have mounted the Cube as it is mounted in Kriegas videos on Viemo. Here is the picture of interference. The pack is set on 2 dot's and I am wearing a M size pressure suit underneath my jacket and the helmet is a Airoh CR900.
I'm afraid I have to agree with my friend gots_a_sol there and blame this more on the extremely low and pointy chin bar on the Airho. Although I still strongly suspect that you might be able to avoid, or at least minimize contact by experimenting with the fit on the backpack, so that the pack sits higher on your back and the harness lower on your chest. Try a combination of different upper and lower adjustments and see how you go.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #1473
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Glad we could be of service. I must however, respectfully beg to differ with the comment below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonist222 View Post
Thank you very very very much.
It's contributions like these that make the Internet what it is.
... THIS is what the Internets is for:

BritKit LLC
Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #1474
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Hi Again Michael!

Just another report on the OL30's and how well they handled the Roaming Rally Explorers Edition earlier this year. Mounted on my Mulitstrada (yes Ducati and dirt can be in same sentence!) The bags all worked great and I had no issues what-so-ever.

A bit of this:

And well....yeah a bit of this too:
Hello again, mate!

Thanks for taking the time to send feedback. And photos. We loves us some ride photos!

That's quite an unconventional arrangement to have the Overlander 30, so I'm really pleased that you're really pleased with it.

Hope the lad on the Beemer was OK.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #1475
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeson247 View Post
Thanks again for the (free!) replacement buckle & strap for my Hydro3!

Brett
De nada, amigo! Just doing my bit to help keep the lads keepin' on.

BritKit LLC
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #1476
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
best use of R15: picking up local wine club selections!

however, not a good idea to travel any distance without hydration bladder filled with water! luckily no corkscrew on board...

cheers
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #1477
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Question about R30

Just received my new R30 rucksack and am impressed with the quality of construction however i have one question. There are strap keepers on all the cinch straps except for the main roll top strap.... what do i do with all the extra strap here ? is my bag missing something?

Racerman27410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #1478
indio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Adv platfrom

Hey Mike,

Will adv platform fit/install on with this side luggage rack http://brmoto.com/bmw-f800-650-twin-...ide-racks.html ?

indio screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 12:03 PM
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #1479
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
Just received my new R30 rucksack and am impressed with the quality of construction however i have one question. There are strap keepers on all the cinch straps except for the main roll top strap.... what do i do with all the extra strap here ? is my bag missing something?

Hi mate,

Glad you like the pack and I'm pleased to inform you that it is not missing anything. The loose end of that strap tucks into a small slot between the shell and backplate. Like so:

All the best and enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #1480
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio View Post
Hello indio,

Thanks for your interest in Kriega kit.

I've had a look at the BR Moto site and fro what I can gather it appears to be an oval 'hoop' made from 19.05mm tubing. With the Overlander 60 being made to fit 18mm rectangular hoops (dimensions which are common to a few of the most popular pannier frame manufacturers) I'm afraid it's not likely to fit.

Sorry about that.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #1481
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Hi mate,

Glad you like the pack and I'm pleased to inform you that it is not missing anything. The loose end of that strap tucks into a small slot between the shell and backplate. Like so:

All the best and enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Cheers,

Michael
thanks for the prompt reply... spot on Mate!
Racerman27410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #1482
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 239
A long overdue post from my side asking about Cube hitting my helmet. Well if you buy the best gear possible and it doesn't work as it should, it is probably user error I have tightend the bottom to straps to position the pack higher on my back, and in the proces it moved the straps and cube lower down. So now I have a fully functioning system, Hydro-3 with Cube pocket and a US-5, on my back.

Thanks for the help!

Regards, MadM!
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #1483
sreekanthgupta
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Kriega US30

hi
Quote:

Hi I am planning to buy US30 for my Bonneville t100. I would like to know is there any option to add fuel bottles to this Bag.

I stay in india and planning a 4000km ride this October. if you can provide a solution on how I can carry extra fuel with Kriega US 30 or US70 combo will be thankful to you.

Sreekanth Gupta.

Greetings Inmates!

The ADVRider forums have been a massive inspiration and invaluable knowledge base for me personally and also to the Kriega lads back in the UK. So, after recently becoming Kriega's US representative, I thought it'd be good to contribute something which could help others with the important decision of which cargo carrying gear to go for.

With this in mind, I figured it'd make sense to start a thread about each of our main product lines: backpacks, bike packs, pannier systems and accessories. The idea being that, hopefully, together we can create a resource center, wherein the answer to pretty much every conceivable question about Kriega kit can be found. Building a library of Inmates' Kriega set-ups and travels with the gear, would be cool too...

To kick off things off, I've posted up pages from the current catalog. Hi-rez versions can be viewed in the KriegaUSA galleries over at SmugMug, and - while stocks last - hard copies of the catalog are available free of charge via www.kriega.us and at Authorized Kriega Dealers.

Feel free to post up any questions, feedback or requests and I'll do everything I can to help find the right gear for your ride.

And just PM me for a your ADVRider free shipping code.

Cheers,

Michael

sreekanthgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #1484
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
A long overdue post from my side asking about Cube hitting my helmet. Well if you buy the best gear possible and it doesn't work as it should, it is probably user error I have tightend the bottom to straps to position the pack higher on my back, and in the proces it moved the straps and cube lower down. So now I have a fully functioning system, Hydro-3 with Cube pocket and a US-5, on my back.

Thanks for the help!

Regards, MadM!
De nada, amigo!

BritKit LLC
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #1485
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreekanthgupta View Post
Hi I am planning to buy US30 for my Bonneville t100. I would like to know is there any option to add fuel bottles to this Bag.

I stay in india and planning a 4000km ride this October. if you can provide a solution on how I can carry extra fuel with Kriega US 30 or US70 combo will be thankful to you.

Sreekanth Gupta.
Hi Sreekanth,

Thanks for your question.

At present Kriega does not make any external fuel holder accessories for our US Drypacks. However, it is pretty easy to stuff a couple these (see below) into any of our bags. And this can be enough juice to get you out of a tight spot:

MSR Liquid Fuel Bottles

That said, I believe there are other manufacturers out there who do make 'holsters' for MSR style fuel bottles, which can be attached to our US Drypacks using straps / clips / carabiners, like so:

The only official Kriega option for hauling gas (anything from 1-galloon to 4-gallons per side) would be via RotopaX mounted to our ADV Platform. But this does require considerably more investment, including aftermarket pannier frames (Metal Mule makes compatible ones for the Bonnie), the platforms themselves, along with the RotopaX and mounting hardware.

Works like a dream though!

Other than that, I'd recommend getting a pressed metal rear rack and mounting some RotopaX using their DLX Pack Mount. Something like this:

... And then fitting the US Drypacks to your passenger seat or even on top of the RotopaX.

I hope this info proves useful, but please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further service.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 06:03 PM