Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
akjohn OP
AKjohn

Oddometer: 154
Anchorage Riders...Details about recent accident on the Arm?

I hope you folks do not mind me bringing up a negative topic. I am trying to get some details about the recent accident that occurred just south of McCugh Creek. Anyone one know what happened?
I passed by when 2 ambulances and the Troopers were on scene. The bike involved was silver. An aquaintance have mentioned that it looked like a GS. It obviously was a serious accident. However, I did not see it mentioned on the news or written about in the Daily News.
Today I noticed that the Troopers were definitely out in force. I saw to riders stopped for speeding. With the recent accidents around Anchorage I figure they are trying to slow the pace a bit.
akjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,531
When and what kind of bike, John? I don't know of any accident along there recently myself.

Every summer the police patrol the Potter to Girdwood stretch pretty heavily and for the last year or two they've watched the high pass starting on the other side of Portage and heading south.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
akjohn OP
AKjohn

Turnagain Accident

The accident occurred earlier this week...the day after the kid was killed in an accident on Dimond (another sad event).
I don't know what type of bike...kind of looked FJRish to me. Some members of the Girdwood coffee crowd mentioned that the bike looked like it may have been a GS. If he/she was a GS rider I figured one of the ADVRider regulars would know what happened.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by akjohn
If he/she was a GS rider I figured one of the ADVRider regulars would know what happened.
I haven't heard a lick about it on this board.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:17 AM   #5
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
I haven't heard a lick about it on this board.

Wasn't a Gruver.
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
akjohn OP
AKjohn

A Rider and his daughter riding an FJR

A friend told me he saw a short feature on channel 11. According to him, the riders were headed south. Just past McCugh creek they were passed by a pickup truck. Just as the truck pulled back into the southbound lane, a car pulled out on to the highway from the pullout. The truck was unprepared and slammed on the brakes. The FJR rear ended the truck. I don't know if this is what was described on the news or if it is a 2nd, perhaps even a 3rd person account.
The good news is that although the bike was totaled the riders survived the accident. I chatted with this guy last year over coffee in Girdwood. Nice fella...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by akjohn
A friend told me he saw a short feature on channel 11. According to him, the riders were headed south. Just past McCugh creek they were passed by a pickup truck. Just as the truck pulled back into the southbound lane, a car pulled out on to the highway from the pullout. The truck was unprepared and slammed on the brakes. The FJR rear ended the truck. I don't know if this is what was described on the news or if it is a 2nd, perhaps even a 3rd person account.
The good news is that although the bike was totaled the riders survived the accident. I chatted with this guy last year over coffee in Girdwood. Nice fella...
There are definately some new skid marks in the South bournd lane at McHugh. I hate that turn. I used to live in Girdwood a few years ago and did the commute into town for work. I saw way to many close calls with folks either pulling into or out of the McHugh Creek parking lot that I now always slow down going by there. Glad to hear the riders are OK!
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote