User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Mr.Grumpy OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
DL650 VS. F650 stasts

Just happened to have a cople of flyers around.

Dry weight:
DL650: 418#
F650: 426#
Ground Clearance:
DL650: 6.5 inches
F650: 5.1 inches
Transmission:
DL650: 6 speed
F650: 5 speed
The DL has twin front brake rotors, a seamless FI system, it's narrower, carries more fule, generates more horse power, costs thousands of dollars less and yet the F650 still manages to look 10 times better than the DL!

(all stats are for the GS version of the F650. Dakar stats not published in promotional literature at hand)
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
seat_boy
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 156
F vs. V

Well, the F650 also has that little spinning propeller on it... and I think it has more suspension travel. And available ABS.

That being said, I'll take the V strom, no question.

Eric
Old 02-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Swiss Chris
Legion of BOOM

Oddometer: 244
Trust me
That SV 650 engine Is a kick in the PANTS

Excellent bang for the buck
Valve maint interval 15,000 miles

What is it on the F
Swiss Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
The Rotax single on the BMW is bulletproof IMO and easy to maintain too. In the end it's just a single though and I like the DL650 engine a lot better. My $.02
Old 02-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,263
I've taken my F650 onto wet leaves and through loose surface that riding buddies on twins have a tough time handling due to wheel spin. The single has the advantage there.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Chris
Trust me
That SV 650 engine Is a kick in the PANTS

Excellent bang for the buck
Valve maint interval 15,000 miles

What is it on the F
Every 6k for valve inspection on the F650. Shim over bucket, and a PITA if you have to pull the cams for shim changing. OTOH, you can take it to the dealer every 6k for service and pay around $300.

I have an 03 F650 Dakar and while I believe it is capable of going places that a DL650 could never do, it's not a cheap bike to own.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
I have owned them both and they are both good bikes.

When comparing the specs, bear in mind that the fuel capacity of the Strom is about 6 gallons IIRC and that the tank is in the conventional location. You WILL notice it when the tank is full.

I kept the BMW for a while after selling the Strom. I felt that it was a more versatile bike. I felt much more comfortable taking it off pavement than I did the Strom, but in the end it also was too heavy and expensive for where I was riding and my skill level.

The engine, comfort, handling and economy of the Strom is tough to beat.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
I don't think either one is good off-road and I would never take the DL650 beyond a fire road. To me the V-Strom is just an excellent street bike that can do some limited off-road work. I keep seeing all these posts where folks want to make their DL650 more off-road worthy but I went the other route and turned it into more of a street bike. Where I live I have the luxury of having tons of great places close by to ride in the dirt. If I need my dirt fix I grab the KLX400. If I want to go for a ride on the street I take a ride on the DL650. I understand what each bike is good at and I don't try to make them cross their boundries.

me thinks it was Pink Floyd that did "a nice pair" not sure they were referring to motorcycles but that's mine.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
Taxguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDown
I don't think either one is good off-road and I would never take the DL650 beyond a fire road. To me the V-Strom is just an excellent street bike that can do some limited off-road work. I keep seeing all these posts where folks want to make their DL650 more off-road worthy but I went the other route and turned it into more of a street bike. Where I live I have the luxury of having tons of great places close by to ride in the dirt. If I need my dirt fix I grab the KLX400. If I want to go for a ride on the street I take a ride on the DL650. I understand what each bike is good at and I don't try to make them cross their boundries.

me thinks it was Pink Floyd that did "a nice pair" not sure they were referring to motorcycles but that's mine.
I have the same combination, but still did some work on the DL650 to make it better offroad because I want to ride it to the Yukon and to explore with it when I get there.

Taxguy screwed with this post 02-28-2005 at 09:09 PM
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
four-up
Distracted

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDown
I don't think either one is good off-road .
Compared to my CRF250, true, but after bashing around an 1100GS, the F's are downright comfy off-road. I've had two F's, old style and newer GS, and they were very capable off-road. But I wouldn't feel the same if I hadn't been exposed the "heavy" world of the bigger GS. The F's were pretty good on the highway with after-market screens. I've only been on a Strom on the road, and I liked it more than the F in that situation.
four-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #11
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,199
four-up, do you like the DL650 better than the BMW 1150GS on the road?
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #12
four-up
Distracted

Oddometer: 330
No. I've got an 1100, but I've ridden plenty of 1150s, which have some improvements for the highway (the 6th gear is a big one). I love the big GS on the highway, especially for longer trips. In general, I prefer a larger engine anyway on the highway.
four-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
What was BMW thinking when they put a 4-gallon tank on the F650, anyway ???

That's what I was asking myself in Wyoming two years ago when my Dakar was struggling with mpg in the mid 40s with me and my gear !!! I was pi$$ed !!!

Sold it when I got home.

5-gallon should be a minimum, but an "adventure" bike should have six or seven, if you ask me...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,183
I am missing something?....why compare

a DL650 to a F650?...different animals.....how abotu comparing a bit mroe similar...a KLR650 and a F650?.....I checked em both out and the KLR was the obvious winner...unless you need more flash and lipstick and image.....?
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #15
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
OK, here's the real truth:
IF BMW were smart enough to have OEM'd the DL650 and branded it as a BMW Dual Sport selling for $9,999 U.S., the Press would be hailing it as "the great breakthrough in motorcycling" and every article would be giving it a "9.5 on a 10-scale" rating, and raving about what a great value it is.

Z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote