User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
MotoMike OP
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,918
Fcr41mx

FCR41MX. Is this carb suitable for a 640 ADV? Anyone? Creeper?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
Both the FCR41 and FCR39 have been successfully transplanted onto the LC4.

But do it at your own peril...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
MotoMike OP
Washed Up Desert Racer

So the FCR41 and FCR41MX are one and the same? Is $495 a good price for a brand new one?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Yep, these carbs are pretty spendy! These carbs can be ordered with custom jetting from Sudco or Pro-Flo. If you get one that doesn't come equiped with an OBEKR needle, you will need one of those as well, and I would get the IMS screw adapter, that will allow you to adjust it by hand. The pump squirt is a bit much for the LC4 motor, there is a mod that lessens it on KTMtalk, or you can install a Honda diagprahm. (Check with Arch on this.) If you have an 03 you will need to decide if your going to get a TPS version or not. Another option to save some money is the non-MX FCR39/41 version.

Check these guys for prices, as they normally have the lowest price on average, or at least a good price.

http://www.pro-flo.com

The Keihins can be a tight fit, especially the MX version, but they do fit. The accelerator pump gets really close to the pipe, especially the Akrapovic.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
I installed the plain old FCR41 on my 00 Duke II over a year ago and am very satisfied with the results. That also sounds like a reasonable price,its about what I paied for the Sudco kit with the cables that dont fit. Are you talking new or used? I think the MX version has the hot start,TPS, and a shield where the cables attach but I diddent need all that and my plain jane FCR 41 works great it really woke up the motor and I had already done all the mods to the stock BST 40 which I diddent have any complaints with I just wanted to see what the big diffrence was. (big diffrence) The only drawback that I have found is she does suck more gas.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Both the FCR41 and FCR39 have been successfully transplanted onto the LC4.

But do it at your own peril...
It's OK Chris... one must follow their own path to enlightenment.

Were I to stray from the true path... I would opt for a 39 FCR. Throttle response is superior to the 41 and snap is where it's at in the dirt.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider
I installed the plain old FCR41 on my 00 Duke II over a year ago and am very satisfied with the results. That also sounds like a reasonable price,its about what I paied for the Sudco kit with the cables that dont fit. Are you talking new or used? I think the MX version has the hot start,TPS, and a shield where the cables attach but I diddent need all that and my plain jane FCR 41 works great it really woke up the motor and I had already done all the mods to the stock BST 40 which I diddent have any complaints with I just wanted to see what the big diffrence was. (big diffrence) The only drawback that I have found is she does suck more gas.
If I hadn't picked my MX version up in a group buy, I think I would have tried to save some dough, and gone with the non-MX version on my pre-03 bike.

Actually if I was to do it over, I think I would spend the money on suspension revavling and springs, and wait for a used FCR to come up on the market.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
MotoMike OP
Washed Up Desert Racer

Thanks for the input. Someone is selling one on ktmtalk...sez it's brand new. For whatever reason he is parting out a brand new SX, didn't say what cc. So I guess my question has been answered, the "plain" 41 is slightly different from the 41MX, correct?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Mack

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Someone is selling one on ktmtalk...sez it's brand new. For whatever reason he is parting out a brand new SX, didn't say what cc. So I guess my question has been answered, the "plain" 41 is slightly different from the 41MX, correct?
The MX has some features for "Hard core" dirt use, IMHO, not really needed for an ADV, but nice to have, though they increase the size of the carb.

MX features? I'm no expert, but off the top of my head: Baffled bowl, extra vents, options for hot start and TPS. Integral ACC pump (to the casting) and enclosed throttle cable bellcrank, keeps dirt out and thus reduces wear a bit compared to a non-MX, tuneable ACV air cut valve IIRC, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch, but me belly is empty, and I'm feeling tepid!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
DevDel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
If you don't have a '03 or newer high flow exhaust, the accelerator pump will hit the exhaust.

The 41 will still have plenty of snap & torque, and it's what KTM chose to put on the SXC, rather than the 39 of the 525 MXC & EXC.

Dev
DevDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Welcomomen to the land of low end grunt, now we're gonna nickname you wheelie Mike
Seriously though, the 41 will be a nice snap for your bike. You changing the pipe as well??
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
AusieRob
Just Gas It!!

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
What's up Mike... need more snap to get past those pesky KLX300's on the trail..

"Locusts...." :uhhuh
AusieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Welcomomen to the land of low end grunt, now we're gonna nickname you wheelie Mike
Seriously though, the 41 will be a nice snap for your bike. You changing the pipe as well??
he's got an IDS2 - might need the race core eh? I got's one to trade for a quiet core.

anyways, from all I have read, I would second creeper. the FCR39 would be better throughout the powerband, especially low and midrange. Its what KTM uses on the 660r bikes.

of course if your deal is on the 41 then maybe you can live with it. if its not the carb for you it can always be sold. isn't $500 the new price? MotoMike, you check Sudco's price on that carb?

http://www.sudco.com/

http://www.sudco.com/catalog105/087-089.pdf

Looks like the FCR39-MX is $593 (not incl. install kit)

The FCR41-MX price isn't listed (blanked out) but it should be around $620 (not including install kit)

Did you ask flanny about the Mikuni TM40? Its a pumper, he installed it on his 640a way back when... Its $289-318 (not including install kit)

ps - Sudco has deals on ICS dampeners right now - and they make an istall kit for the 640! anyone have any experience with the ICS dampener or products? $280 for the whole setup!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
Rideguy
Kamikazi on one wheel

Oddometer: 66
FCR39mm jetted to suit will work great, so will the FCRmx41mm. Last year we got our 41mm's shipped and jetted for around $465 U.S.D. through the group buy which I arranged from Sudco.

Make sure you are putting the carb on for the right reasons!!! Power gains are minimal, fuel consumption is greater. That being said this carb is Awsome for big jumps, and whoops!!!

My Mikuni BST 40mm was great on the street, but for Safety reasons I went with the Keihin pumper carb to prevent fuel delivery failure in extreme conditions!!! So if your not going to Bump and Jump your bike stick with the BST 40mm. I.M.H.O.

Don't get any ideas Meat... I still say the 41mm belongs on my tweaked out LC4/SXC!!!!! 39mm's for Adventures/Ralleys/525's Not for the Power Hungry that ride W.F.O.T. on 620's!!!!

Old 05-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideguy

Don't get any ideas Meat... I still say the 41mm belongs on my tweaked out LC4/SXC!!!!! 39mm's for Adventures/Ralleys/525's Not for the Power Hungry that ride W.F.O.T. on 620's!!!!

great post Ridefella! I ain't huntin' ya Had a great time in the other thread. Hope there is something we disagree about in the near future! SXC eh? ain't that the stock carb?

FYI, from what I have heard MotoMike is the whacko desert racer type. He might actually find that sliver of the operating window that I hear said taxes the BST.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote