ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Mojoman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
2013 Super Ten or 14 FJR?

I sold my 13 BMW F700gs a few weeks ago, so it's new bike time! I can get a 13 S10 with both side cases and top case for 14,509 OTD, or a '14 FJR 1300 for 13,700. The FJR is the non-ES model. I want to do some distance riding, and my wife rides along fairly often. Any thoughts? I'd love a 14 or 15 Tenere, but can't get close to those prices with luggage. I hear the '13 model is still a good bike, though. Any advice is appreciated.
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Oxencart
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just bought one, I do no t know where you are but I got my 2013 for 10,200 plus a 750 instant rebate sans luggage. I have been enjoying the bike , riding on forest roads , gravel and interstate. My complaint. The stock windscreen sucked for me ( I'm 6ft) switched out for a med v stream, it works pretty well. My wife and I took a ride together to see how it handled. She rides her own bike but thought we would ride a short ride. It found it a bit wobbley and real slow to turn. 2 factors though this was my first 2 up ride so that my just be the norm, and also my wife is 6 ft and about 155lb so she is not that small of a passenger. Otherwise it's great I can blast down forest roads all day and if I want to get home in a hurry hit the slab runnin. Cheers
Oxencart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
turn&burn
shut up and ride

Oddometer: 19
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=tenere+folsom

Hi Mojoman, here is a link to my 2014 S-10 ES. It might be the solution to your dilemma. The FJR is probably more roomy two up, but the s-10 is more versatile. Gave me a call if this works for you 916-899-8933

Thanks,
Andy
turn&burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoman View Post
I sold my 13 BMW F700gs a few weeks ago, so it's new bike time! I can get a 13 S10 with both side cases and top case for 14,509 OTD, or a '14 FJR 1300 for 13,700. The FJR is the non-ES model. I want to do some distance riding, and my wife rides along fairly often. Any thoughts? I'd love a 14 or 15 Tenere, but can't get close to those prices with luggage. I hear the '13 model is still a good bike, though. Any advice is appreciated.
It depends a lot on how tall you are and what your preferences are. Tall folks will be more comfortable on the S10. The FJR has better overall protection and a lower seat height. It also feels a lot heavier. It has less suspension travel and you may bottom it out more while riding two up.

My advice is find a way to by a 14 and up Tenere. The 13 is good but the 14 is several notches better and worth many more times the price difference between them.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Mojoman OP
Adventurer

I'm 5"9, and both bikes are a bit tall, but no more than my BMW. Actually, the FJR is just wide, making it hard to have much more than my toes down. I really like the '13 s10, but I'm afraid I would regret not getting a 14-15. If anyone knows of a good deal not too far from Pensacola let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
I'm 5"9, and both bikes are a bit tall, but no more than my BMW. Actually, the FJR is just wide, making it hard to have much more than my toes down. I really like the '13 s10, but I'm afraid I would regret not getting a 14-15. If anyone knows of a good deal not too far from Pensacola let me know. Thanks!
Is the south side of Atlanta too far? Cycle Nation in McDonough, GA, had a 14 non-ES a few weeks back and may still be there. I was quote $13000 + Registration and TAVT (Georgia vehicle tax). I opted for the one that had at their Canton, GA, location because it was closer to the house and had the side cases. same price for the bike plus the cases and I added heated grips and 5yr YES warranty. Came out to $14500 + Reg/TAVT
Old 05-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
I am the same height and the S10 is not too tall. I like the extra leg room, especially on long hauls.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 306
I've had both and they are 1&2 in my all time favorite bikes list. The S10 is my pick but I waited for the 14 because CC is important to me these days.
HAYVIATOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
It depends a lot on how tall you are and what your preferences are. Tall folks will be more comfortable on the S10. The FJR has better overall protection and a lower seat height. It also feels a lot heavier. It has less suspension travel and you may bottom it out more while riding two up.

My advice is find a way to by a 14 and up Tenere. The 13 is good but the 14 is several notches better and worth many more times the price difference between them.

I had an 06 FJR, still sitting a warehouse. Stopped riding it after the Tenere. Second generation
Tenere has many updates worth getting the 2014 or newer. As far as doubled up my wife
much preferred the Tenere as a passenger.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,905
I've had both. I picked the S10 over the FJR every time. After a year, the '13 FJR was traded in on a '14 S10 ES. Having cruise control on the S10 was important. Then I sold my '12 S10.

It all depends on your riding style and your power band expectations, among other things.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:53 AM   #11
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
I had an older FJR and loved it. Matter of fact, it's one of my all time favorite bikes. But my riding changed and on nearly every long trip I took,,,, I somehow ended up off tarmac and a FJR totally sucks off tarmac. I later bought a DL650 and after much modification, it also turned into one of my favorite bikes. Since the DL650 then worked a good bit better off tarmac, I started riding a lot of forestry roads locally and that became the riding I started liking in addition to long distance riding and touring where, like I said,,,, I regularly end up doing a lot of off tarmac also.

Look, the Tenere isn't quite the road bike the FJR is. It doesn't handle as well as my modded FJR or my modded DL did but it's nearly there and it's stock. The Tenere doesn't have the smooth, seamless, electric motor like acceleration the FJR has but it's worlds better than the DL650 albeit rougher feeling. The Tenere is worlds better than the DL650 at high speed touring and once you hit some off tarmac stuff, it's worlds better than the FJR and only a bit behind my heavily modded DL650. My 14 ES Tenere effectively splits the difference between my DL650 and my FJR.

Think of it like this, a Tenere will do everything a FJR nearly as well and it will do off tarmac of any kind much, much better. If you never go off tarmac, get the FJR as it's just a better sport tourer. If you regularly hit a lot of off tarmac stuff either localy or during long trips,,,,, it's the Tenere hands down.

BTW,,,, are you averse to buying used? Lots of great deals on used Teneres out there. Heavily modded ones too. Also, look hard as I paid 14.7$ OTD for my ES including top box, panniers and liners and Ga. tag tax. Other folks got even better deals probably and will be selling theirs. I will say that I found a 13 locally that was roughly 1K$ cheaper but the cruise and heated grips were well worth that to me.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
Mojoman OP
Adventurer

I'm not at all opposed to used. I just haven't found a good 14-15 in the area. I'm headed to Jacksonville next weekend for Demo Days at the local Yamaha dealer. Hopefully that will help me make up my mind. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #13
decooney
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

... As far as doubled up my wife
much preferred the Tenere as a passenger.

Before I decided on the FJR as my "road bike" or S10 was another consideration in the back of my mind, going back and forth I found more than a few comments indicating this about "passenger preference", which was kind of interesting. I test rode the brand new FJR, and strange enough still preferred the overall feel and handling of the new S10 on road. Would have never guessed that going into it because the FJR is such a nice bike. The S10 then became my road bike that I could take on mild offroad rides on occasion too.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #14
billyp
n00b

Oddometer: 4
2 up

I have a 08 FJR and a 13 Tenere.My wife likes the Fj better for comfort.Have seen 13 Tenere otd for $10,000.I think the FJ is a better road bike,but I've been riding the Tenere more.You really have to ride them both, as they have a different feel. Nice to have such great choices
billyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #15
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
I seriously considered both...

Enjoyed a test ride on a friend's FJR. It had risers so was more comfortable than expected. Power was available...

Ultimately decided on an S10 as being more versatile.

Have ridden it on a three day, 1400 mile trip to Big Bend. Could not have ridden Pinto Canyon Road on an FJR.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote