Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #31
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
When you have experienced failures does the bike still run on the ignition circuit or does that go too?

Thanks
The ignition circuit usually works. Just no charging of battery. Note that one issue I had in the post above which was an exception.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Question Learning Period?

Is there any truth to the ecu having to adjust to the new stator and R/R? After I got everything together it would not start with the button. It would just crank and crank. I remembered the instructions mentioned something about this and to kick start it. It took a bit of kicking but it did eventually start up and ran great after that. The instructions mention that after riding the bike for an hour or more the computer will adjust and it will fire up with the button just like before.

I turned off the bike at that point and had dinner and got geared up to go fill the tank. It started fine with the button when I got back on it.
Got to the gas station and had to kick it again when I left. 1 or 2 kicks. No problem.
This morning I wanted to take it to work and it wouldn't start again. Lots of kicking involved. It did eventually start and ran great after that.
This is a brand new bike with less than 200kms on it that started right up with the original stator.

It runs great once started. Is this something that will sort itself out? Will the ecu adjust to the new equipment as mentioned in the instructions?

Thanks
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #33
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,151
It sounds like your experience matches the description in the instructions; I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Is there any truth to the ecu having to adjust to the new stator and R/R? After I got everything together it would not start with the button. It would just crank and crank. I remembered the instructions mentioned something about this and to kick start it. It took a bit of kicking but it did eventually start up and ran great after that. The instructions mention that after riding the bike for an hour or more the computer will adjust and it will fire up with the button just like before.

I turned off the bike at that point and had dinner and got geared up to go fill the tank. It started fine with the button when I got back on it.
Got to the gas station and had to kick it again when I left. 1 or 2 kicks. No problem.
This morning I wanted to take it to work and it wouldn't start again. Lots of kicking involved. It did eventually start and ran great after that.
This is a brand new bike with less than 200kms on it that started right up with the original stator.

It runs great once started. Is this something that will sort itself out? Will the ecu adjust to the new equipment as mentioned in the instructions?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #34
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I wouldn't worry about it yet.
Sounds ominous!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #35
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just read through an XR650 thread about stators and wiring and think I have a better understanding on what is going on. I drew this up to help me decide where to add a relay that will switch on with the key.

Does this look right for the stock system?

And then this is what it looks like now after the upgrades???

Am I on the right track?

The relay can replace the switch in my diagram and I can trigger it from a positive source after the ignition switch.
I will probably use a 30amp automotive relay with a fuse and possibly a little fuse box under the dash to distribute power.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #36
James Adams
Misplaced

I think you're on the right path. I've just ordered the high-output Electrosport kit as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #37
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I just got my Lynx fairing in the mail and will probably be finishing up my install this weekend. I will let you know how I do with the relay and if I find a good switched source from the ignition.

Cheers
Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #38
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There are only 4 wires coming off the ignition switch. The orange wire on my bike was the switched power.
I hooked up a relay and now everything comes on with the key as it should be.

The red and yellow wires that I joined earlier are just the power wires going to the headlight and tail light. The red is just a power wire that is direct to the battery and the yellow continues that power on to the headlight. I just insulated the red power wire (not connected now) and then hooked the yellow wire to the relay (switched) power. All seems to work as it should now.

I still have some other things to hook up and I will put up a few more pictures.

James,

If I was doing this again I would not chop up my stock regulator harness. All you need to do after the conversion is to connect a power wire to the headlight positive. It is already grounded.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumbs down

I got the bike put together and got out for a good 3 hour ride through some backroads and so far I am not impressed with the Electrosport stator.

Here is the wire I added to the ignition to switch on the relay.

The red wire is the one I added and it is spliced in with the orange wire.

Here is the bike all done!

I am very happy with the bike itself but with only the 65W low beam on the max voltage I saw all ride was 13.4. I started off with a bit of a low battery around 11V probably as the bike still won't start with the button so it got a little run down before I tried kicking.

So watching the voltmeter hold steady at 13.4 and then turning on my highbeam (another 65W) the voltage dropped immediately to 12.4 and then slowly ticked down further beyond that if I left it on. 130W draw while cruising and the stator could not keep up! Am I missing something or is this just plain old false advertising?
I left my heated grips on at 50% for a while and the voltage would hold steady around 12.5-12.7V with the low beam on as well. 50% should be around 2 amps (25W). So at most this stator can keep up with a 90W load and even then it is not charging the battery.
At the end of the trip I checked the battery with my multimeter and it read a healthy 12.8 so it did get charged but I only had my low beam on for the majority of the ride. Compared to my DMM the voltmeter on the bike read .2V less from the wiring up to the front of the bike. When a load was applied (low beam, bike not running) the voltage gap widened up to .6v or so.
My next step will be to run some dedicated wires to the voltmeter to see if the low voltage I am seeing is from wire losses along the way and it is really 14 at the battery. The big drop with any added load still points to a weak stator but I will hold off ordering the Trailtech stator until I can test it some more.

The ride was still great though! And the bike was perfect other than having to kick start it when we stopped.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #40
Crispy12
Rocks and Roots

Oddometer: 4
Rode Fisher west today

Think I may be disrupting thread but don!t know better yet. Rode fisher west today and riding partner on 525 exc similarly kitted out to yours cleaned the hill to the right just inside the area. Looking to ride Castle to Nelson etc. any guidance appreciated. Chris Gatfield Calgary. "crispy"
Crispy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #41
Crispy12
Rocks and Roots

Oddometer: 4
Rode fisher West today

Met you at pumps at Bragg Crk yesterday
Crispy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Crispy,

Sorry I can't be of any help, I am not familiar with that area. Are you looking for a suggested route?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,483
Electrosport's products suck.
I would have told you to Google up Electrosport & KLR 650.
Way too many horror stories.

I have the Trailtech stator in my 530.
Simple swap over, no dicking around.

I have run a Trailtech 8 inch headlight, heated handgrips, heated vest, gps and cell phone charger all at the same time with no problems.

I am also running the Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 battery.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #44
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Thanks for bringing some great first-hand experience to the thread.

Electrosport was the stator replacement if choice when I had my Suzuki GS so I'm happy to give them a shot here.

BTW, hadn't you heard all of the Shorai horror stories? Just Google "shorai battery horror stories".
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #45
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Way too many horror stories.

I have the Trailtech stator in my 530.
Simple swap over, no dicking around.

I have run a Trailtech 8 inch headlight, heated handgrips, heated vest, gps and cell phone charger all at the same time with no problems.

I am also running the Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 battery.
What is your total draw in watts with all that on and what is your battery voltage during that time? I would guess that you don't run with all that on for long periods of time or you would be depleting your battery.

Light=65W
Grips=35W
Vest=35W
GPS+phone=10W

65+35+35+10=145W

And grips and clothing are usually around 40-50W each (the above are optimistic estimates) and this isn't including tail lights and turn signals which could be another 10-20W.

With only 100W available to you something will eventually die if you run like that for a long time.

Cheers