Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #61
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,845
I've no idea how many miles I have on mine Electrosport stator now, but I ride it frequently and it hasn't given me any trouble.

James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #62
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Cool hand Luke.

Nice to hear from you.

I bought a 05 525 EXC for use here in Baja. Im stuck in Mexico for a year or so - needed to get a proper bike

Would love to talk more bit im on the owners V Sat ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hey David!

Weather was really nice today, took my 520 (RFS) supermoto for a last spin as the new owner is picking it this week. Still a great bike!

What exactly did you get, and where are you riding/parking it? The pre-06 stators wear out over time, the 06-11 (RFS and XC4 use the same part) have a better track record but power output is too low, especially the DC side. So you should either do the DC mod or just get the Trailtech part, it's worth it in my opinion.
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..

D K screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 09:32 AM Reason: Because I wanted to
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #63
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Sorry to hear that the reputation for bad reliability of Electrosport products has proven to be deserved once again.

But I think you'll be happy with reliability of the Trailtech, at least their stators are excellent. In the unlikely case that you should have any issue they will definitely take care of you as well.

BTW if you need some extra power their flywheel with stronger magnets is good for another 20 Watts or so. Combine that with energy efficient LED or HID lights and you should have enough left over for your other electrical needs.
Knowing what I know now I am sure the 100W the Trailtech supplies will be sufficient for my needs. I didn't really understand before that the ignition is not using any of the 100W available so I thought I would have less than 100W to run accessories and charge the battery so I wanted the most watts I could get.
As my bike sits right now it has a 10w led lowbeam, 35W heated grips, and 65W highbeam. If I change out the highbeam to a 40W led or 35W HID I would have more than enough watts to run full lights and grips indefinitely. Even as is I would be fine as I don't do any cold weather night riding where I would need everything turned on all the time.

I am looking forward to getting the Trailtech unit installed and getting my bike running again!

Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #64
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got the Trailtech stator a couple weeks ago and installed it. The install was way easier than the electrosport. Truly plug and play. The only thing that took me a while was reversing all the crap I had to do to get the electrosport stator to work.

I have only managed one commute into work on the bike (30 mins each way) and the stator seemed to work just fine. It also seems to start a little easier than before. I guess time will tell but I will probably feel better with the Trailtech in the bike. Hopefully it proves to be reliable. Winter has set in here so torture testing will have to wait until next year.

I wish I went this route to begin with.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #65
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Subaru -

Quick one for you from a mechanical engineer. What this means is that when people start talking about sparky stuff, I generally glaze over and pass out. But I can follow directions.

With that said, I just installed a TT stator in my 2008 450 EXC. Easy peasy. What I don't understand is if I need to install their regulator/rectifier they supply - I guess I wasn't clear if I could just leave it alone with an AC system or if I'm forced to go DC.

Thanks!
Justin

K_N_Fodder screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 08:52 PM
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #66
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Justin,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I haven't looked at this thread in a long time.

Hopefully you got this figured out already but yes I think you do need to install a DC reg as well if you installed the stator.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #67
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,468
Several friends have had the Trail Tech Stator quit dead during long rides,kind of an all at once load you bike in a truck and go home sort of thing.
Must both be flukes.

I just keep it stock and run the bare minimum of electrical stuff,tiny LED taillight,Dirt Tricks Low draw fan,sometime a good LED headlight will be installed.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #68
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I just keep it stock and run the bare minimum of electrical stuff,tiny LED taillight,Dirt Tricks Low draw fan,sometime a good LED headlight will be installed.
FYI that is not going to help stator life at all, if anything it will decrease it. A permanent magnet stator with a regular shunt regulator will run at full load all the time, and simply shunt the unused power to ground by converting it to heat, most of it through the regulator, but the stator will heat up as well.

Solution is a 3 phase series regulator, but the few ones that are available are too big for use on an EXC.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #69
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Hi Justin,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I haven't looked at this thread in a long time.

Hopefully you got this figured out already but yes I think you do need to install a DC reg as well if you installed the stator.

Cheers
Got it man, thanks! No drama yet, seems to work well. I was surprised that the light stays on for about 15 seconds after I shut down but Darryl at Cyclops said they have some kind of timer in there...

For us no-knowledge direction-following types, the Trail Tech directions could use some serious work. The directions themselves are pretty good, it's making clear what set of directions actually apply to your installation that aren't wonderful. Hear that TT? :)

J
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Wow... very nice thread!
Subaru, thanks for the diligent updates, including your results with the TT stator install. This kinda answers my question since I’m in the market to upgrade my Stator and ironically came across these Electrosport stators just this week.

Here’s why I think I need the upgrade. Last couple times I got caught in the dark still on the low rpm single track with my highbeams on I got out of the trail, shut the bike off to cool down and had no battery left to e-start. Once kick started and h/b turned off bike ran and charged normally. I also just picked up a TT X2 Halogen headlight which claims 70w (still in shipping so I haven’t plugged it in yet). It sounds to me like the stock stator wont keep up the highbeam at idle or low idle. However this issue will just compound if I drop in the 70w headlight.

Later down the road I plan on installing heated grips and a fan override switch so I don’t have to wait till the engine gets to critical temps before the fans kick in.
My question still is the TT stator. They claim 100-110w and the 70w light + 12w fan + 20ish-w grips doesn’t leave much room for anything else (led tail light, blinkers, optional gps/phone charger, heated vest etc…).

Can anyone share results with the TT stator running lots of accessories?
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #71
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Basically with the stock system you have three circuits off of the stator.
1. Small amount of capacity dedicated to charging the battery. 30W
2. Majority of the capacity is AC current and this runs the lights. 70-100W
3. Ignition circuit. Separate coil that runs the bike (spark, cdi)

I am not sure on the actual numbers anymore as I am going by memory.

So no matter what you do with your headlight it won't change anything with your battery drain or charging ability. Your headlight will just be very dim at lower idle speeds and will brighten as your engine increases rpm if you increase its draw significantly.

If you want better lighting you should look into getting some LED lights. These put out an amazing amount of light and don't draw much power. I think LED lights prefer DC power though.

This is where the Trail Tech stator comes in. It gives you the regulator, stator and directions to convert the system over to all DC current. Now you would have two circuits.
1. Ignition circuit, same as before.
2. 100W charging circuit.

You now have 100W going to the battery and any of your load gets pulled from the battery. So you can draw more than 100W as long as it is not consistently or for a long period as the battery will deplete.

My current system;
Low beam 10W LED
High beam 65W halogen (soon to be replaced with 24W highbeam)
Heated grips 30W
Rad Fan 30-40W while running (??? guessing)
GPS 5W
Turn signals, brake lights, etc...

If everything was running full blast I would kill my battery quickly drawing around 140W but that likely won't happen...ie. my rad fan and heated grips shouldn't be running at the same time. Nor do I ride at night a lot (high beam). But if I was ice racing, at night, in the cold...then maybe.

I also have a LED voltmeter sitting on my dash so I always know my battery voltage. If it starts to drop or go too high I know something is wrong and I can fix it hopefully or turn something off.

Another aspect of the TT stator is that is produces its full 100w right off idle. (So I was told by TT tech support!) this would be a good benefit for slow single track. The electrosport and the stock one need to get the rpm up a bit to generate peak power.

I think you would be fine with all the accessories you want to have installed as long as you keep in mind the draw at any one time. Maybe you have to slow down and ride with your low beam while you have your heated vest cranked or something. Or go with LED lights....

Low beam 10W
High beam 24W
Heated vest 30W
Heated grips 25W

89watts. Keeping in mind you will need some room to charge your battery but I think it is all manageable.

Hope that helps and thanks for the thread compliments. I found little bits and pieces of info here and there but it was hard to find a good answer all in one spot.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #72
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,065
Led

Correct, i added led lights to stock 530 charging system, with a new battery the led lights on and riding for hour the battery was dead. Upgraded to the TT
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #73
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
If you want better lighting you should look into getting some LED lights. These put out an amazing amount of light and don't draw much power.

My current system;
Low beam 10W LED
High beam 65W halogen (soon to be replaced with 24W highbeam)
Heated grips 30W
Rad Fan 30-40W while running (??? guessing)
GPS 5W
Turn signals, brake lights, etc...
I'm glad I found this thread...Thanks for all the info. I'd like more details of your setup...Brands & Pix.

I have a 2007 KTM 450XC that has the EXC KTM light kit installed. I'm sure it's a stock stator so I'm in the market for a TT. I found a used 100W for a $100 but it's older without the built in relay with a dedicated accessory wire (As it was explained to me). I sent 2 emails to TT today and had responses within minutes...Awesome service.

My stock lighting sux and I'm going to have to upgrade but here's my intended use:
Trail rides and camping off the bike...May get caught in the dark and need safe lighting.
Commuting to work during the day but night street riding after 9-11PM.
No long slab trips day or night.

Darryl from CyclopsAdventureSports (He's been awesome) suggested the Orion Dual Sport X2 and a LED for emergency situations, using m stock stator for budget purposes. I'm starting to realize I may have to bite the bullet and upgrade. Still beats what you went through...Did you ever get your money back from electrosport?

Thoughts?

Oh...One more thing. I suck on the trails a stall and fall a lot...I may end up killing the battery with the E-Start.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #74
Subaru297 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What would you like pictures of? The whole bike or something specific? I will have to get some tonight.

As far as lighting goes, if you want to keep it cheap.....I would just get an extra LED light from ADVMonster or Mondo Motos. They are both in the vendor forum on here. Then you should convert your bike to all DC rather than the AC/DC system it is now.
You will have to look that one up and it just involves some soldering/rewiring of your stock stator and a new regulator. I think the TT website has the parts and the instructions on how to do it.
If you don't fancy that I would just get the whole kit from TT and be done with it.

That light you referred to is the same as the Trailtech X2 but i wouldn't bother upgrading that. Just do the stator and the LED light and you will have more than enough light. Wire in a switch to disable your stock headlight and when you are trail riding and stopping and starting your bike alot you can turn off the light so it isn't also draining your battery.

http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...off/Detail.bok

You should add a dimmer too if you want to use it on the street.

http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...Categories.bok

And yes Electrosport gave me a refund. They were helpful through the whole process and had good customer service but I either got a dud or it is just a poor design.....
Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #75
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
What would you like pictures of?
Your lighting but don't go out of your way to do so.

Quote:
I would just get the whole kit from TT and be done with it.
That's what I'm thinking...Be done with it and never look back!

Quote:
Wire in a switch to disable your stock headlight and when you are trail riding and stopping and starting your bike alot you can turn off the light so it isn't also draining your battery.
I have the KTM euro switch and I can turn off my headlight now...So that's a bonus.

Quote:
And yes Electrosport gave me a refund.
Good to hear.

Thank you so much for your time!