Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Kurlee OP
2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer: 1,927
Honestly, while I feel like there was little I could have done, maybe being more drastic in my evasive maneuvers to achieve more of a glancing blow, but thats about all I can think of in this situation
Kurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 461
Eek Ride like you are "invisible"

Always assume you are "invisible" while on your bike take no cagers for granted to not do something stupid!!!

Also you should Lawyer up to make sure you don't get screwed!!!

you were injured (pictures) and should be compensated. Do not expect any settlement for a couple of weeks or more.
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 221
Stupid left turners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goezer View Post
What could HE have done? WTF? SHE ran into HIM! Opening HER EYES would have done the trick. Is she your mother?
Easy there Goezer, I honestly don't think "Moving Pictures" meant that question in a negative sense (as in what was Kurlee doing wrong). Since this is a true motorcycle forum, I think Moving Pics was asking in a sense of...help a motor brother/sister out and tell us from your experience what if any would he recommend to avoid this.

I actually liked Biebs reply of, " assume you are riding invisible". I think that is a much more polite way than I would put it. I always say, "think that the cager doesn't give a damn about you/me/any motorcyclist and will cut you off. As I taught my newly licensed son, assume everyone in a car is an idiot and think of the stupidest (I know it's not proper) but, stupidest move a cager will do and begin to ACT..not React.

Also, the advice from Biebs of "Lawyer up" is also great advice..& to add to that, if you don't like the 1st attorney's advice/direction, you can fire them and get another one who will fight for you. The insurance company is a business not a philanthropist colony. I can't remember who on here told of their insurance company taking care of their bike PLUS after market items. Wish I could have remembered which Ins company that was.
Oh yeah, by the way Kurlee..glad you're OK too.
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
I am one who tends to believe 99% of accidents can be avoided, and I am having a hard time figuring out just what went down here.

But its good only the bike got busted!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Wow, haven't been on ADV this week, and just saw this. Glad you're ok! I blasted down that wonderful, sandy, Willow Hill Rd you had just showed me the day before when I went to work Monday morning. I was grinning all day thanks to you!

You're gonna have a great time spec'ing out a new ride, and with your dad's experience flipping GS's you'll probably have plenty left over to really load it up. Ohlin's electronic suspension? Just don't get in a rush to settle, you want to be certain that leg is really 100%.

Lastly, let me know if you need a truck or trailer to pick up that new ride, I know the folks are in VA.

Clint
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am one who tends to believe 99% of accidents can be avoided, and I am having a hard time figuring out just what went down here.

But its good only the bike got busted!

Some time the snake bites you and there was nothing you could do short of staying home. The ones I see dont scare me too much, it's the ones I cant see that scare me. The OP was extremely lucky.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
SuperGlueRyan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I work for a company that works very closely with USAA and based on my experience I'm sure that they'll treat you well.

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope that you're injuries are just as minor as they look and you get back on the road, killing bugs soon.
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 271
I was hit in a parking lot by a woman who was insured with USAA. She avoided them for several days and would not give a statement. Finally the agent said they would just pay me out based on the photos I sent in and the statement I gave. They would go after her and get a statement, or just chalk it up to an at fault for her.

Very good insurance company to deal with. Only had experience with them and Geico, both were very fair and very quick to respond.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
HannibalSmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlueRyan View Post
I work for a company that works very closely with USAA and based on my experience I'm sure that they'll treat you well.

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope that you're injuries are just as minor as they look and you get back on the road, killing bugs soon.
+1 USAA is super fair in my experience. Glad to hear you're alright. I travel into Chucktown for business quite a bit, you have some interesting drivers down there!
HannibalSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Glad you're ok Navy. That could have gone much worse. Hope it all turns out ok for a new bike and healing.

You don't think the NWU blue camis made you invisible to her do you?
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
Kurlee OP

Thanks for the good wishes and advice guys! I'm contacting a lawyer and have been seeing medical on a regular basis to document the progress of my healing. USAA has been amazing so far, setting me up with a rental and being quick about getting back to me. The bike was appraised and I expect to get an offer early this week.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
Kurlee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Glad you're ok Navy. That could have gone much worse. Hope it all turns out ok for a new bike and healing.

You don't think the NWU blue camis made you invisible to her do you?
That's just about the only thing the blue camis are good for. That and they are comfy enough to use as pajamas.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #28
Snyderman
WTF

Oddometer: 81
Glad to see you are o.k. God speed on your recovery,

Now would be the perfect time to upgrade with the insurance settlement to a KTM 990 adventure.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #29
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee View Post
Honestly, while I feel like there was little I could have done, maybe being more drastic in my evasive maneuvers to achieve more of a glancing blow, but thats about all I can think of in this situation
You said traffic hid her, is that traffic to the left of her also at the stop sign? Or traffic in front of you?

Maybe there was a better lane position you could have taken?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Glad you are relatively ok!

In my wreck with the guy doing the u-turn, I swerved left and just clipped the front of his truck. In talking to a retired motor cop buddy who actually studied bike/car accidents, he suggested that maybe I should have swerved Right and tried to go behind him. In my case that may have worked, or he may have saw me at the last minute, slammed his brakes and I would have hit the back of his truck.

As far as dealing with the insurance company, I did not hire a lawyer, but handled it myself. I never took the first offer that was presented to me, and they always came back with a better second.

It took 6 months for my injuries to be settled, 5 weeks for my bike to be replaced. Don't be in a hurry and insist on a dozen visits to a chiropractor be paid for as well.

Good luck with it all!!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote